Old 13-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Registered User

Question can i plant my lavender now?

i ordered a lavender plant last week and i got it today.... can i plant it now outside...i am new to gardening so need some guidence.... Approx 10 - 15cm from base of root ball to top of the plant..
Old 14-03-2013, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default can i plant my lavender now?

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 18:52:56 +0000, kaddie wrote:

i ordered a lavender plant last week and i got it today.... can i plant
it now outside...i am new to gardening so need some guidence.... Approx
10 - 15cm from base of root ball to top of the plant..

First thing is, where are you and what is the weather like?
Also, is your soil waterlogged?

If the temperature is below freezing and the soil is very soggy and icy it
probably isn't the best time to plant anything.

Is it in a pot or is it bare rooted?

Cheers

Dave R
Old 14-03-2013, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/03/2013 09:23, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 18:52:56 +0000, kaddie wrote:

i ordered a lavender plant last week and i got it today.... can i plant
it now outside...i am new to gardening so need some guidence.... Approx
10 - 15cm from base of root ball to top of the plant..

First thing is, where are you and what is the weather like?
Also, is your soil waterlogged?

If the temperature is below freezing and the soil is very soggy and icy it
probably isn't the best time to plant anything.

Is it in a pot or is it bare rooted?

Cheers

Dave R

IME lavender is as tough as old boots but, like anything that's probably
spent its life in a greenhouse, the current weather may be a shock for it.
I have a couple of things in transparent plastic bags, hanging on hooks,
waiting the temperature to go above 5degC before planting out
Old 14-03-2013, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:

IME lavender is as tough as old boots but, like anything that's probably
spent its life in a greenhouse, the current weather may be a shock for it.
I have a couple of things in transparent plastic bags, hanging on hooks,
waiting the temperature to go above 5degC before planting out

It's not the temperature, but the sogginess. Like all of those
dry-habitat labiates, it loathes waterlogging and dislikes the
combination of soggy soil and cold.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-03-2013, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-14 10:10:41 +0000, stuart noble said:

[...]

It's the wet that's likely to be the problem and of course, with the
soil as cold as it is, nothing is going to put its roots down and romp
away. I think a pot of free draining compost is the answer to this. But
it would help the OP if he knows how the plant was grown. Was it under
glass or outside? Because if it was under glass, shoving it outside in
current conditions would be a shock for it. And of course, it helps to
know which type of lavender it is in terms of hardiness. Not all are
as tough as old boots.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart noble View Post
IME lavender is as tough as old boots but, like anything that's probably
spent its life in a greenhouse, the current weather may be a shock for it.
I have a couple of things in transparent plastic bags, hanging on hooks,
waiting the temperature to go above 5degC before planting out
Normal lavender (Lavandula angustifolia, probably also L latifolia and hybrids) is very hardy, but most other lavenders are not properly hardy. French lavender (Lavandula stoechas, is the one most often given that name, though some others also) in particular, only survives the mildest winters where I live in the Chilterns.
Old 15-03-2013, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/03/2013 11:06, echinosum wrote:
stuart noble;979393 Wrote:
IME lavender is as tough as old boots but, like anything that's probably

spent its life in a greenhouse, the current weather may be a shock for
it.
I have a couple of things in transparent plastic bags, hanging on hooks,

waiting the temperature to go above 5degC before planting out

Normal lavender (Lavandula angustifolia, probably also L latifolia and
hybrids) is very hardy, but most other lavenders are not properly hardy.
French lavender (Lavandula stoechas, is the one most often given that
name, though some others also) in particular, only survives the mildest
winters where I live in the Chilterns.

I don't care how hardy it might be, unless you know it's been outside
all winter then I wouldn't think of planting it out for a few more weeks.
End of April should be plenty early enough, meanwhile harden it off by
putting it out side when the weather is frost free but be ready to bring
it in if there is frost, snow or strong winds.