Old 17-03-2013, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Photinia species

This is a very old Photinia in our garden. It's probably about 60 years
old and though Ray was told the name a long time ago, he can't recall
it now. If anyone can hazard a guess at its id, we'd be grateful. I
like it a LOT more than P Red Robin because I like its rusty colour
more.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...in/photostream
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-03-2013, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/03/2013 15:41, Sacha wrote:
This is a very old Photinia in our garden. It's probably about 60 years
old and though Ray was told the name a long time ago, he can't recall it
now. If anyone can hazard a guess at its id, we'd be grateful. I like it
a LOT more than P Red Robin because I like its rusty colour more.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...in/photostream

Photinia 'Redstart'? It's reputed to be less fiery.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 18-03-2013, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-18 14:30:50 +0000, Spider said:

On 17/03/2013 15:41, Sacha wrote:
This is a very old Photinia in our garden. It's probably about 60 years
old and though Ray was told the name a long time ago, he can't recall it
now. If anyone can hazard a guess at its id, we'd be grateful. I like it
a LOT more than P Red Robin because I like its rusty colour more.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...in/photostream

Photinia 'Redstart'? It's reputed to be less fiery.

I don't think so, though thanks, Spider. The one we have is pretty old,
admittedly, but I don't think P Redstart gets large enough, even so.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-03-2013, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-18 14:30:50 +0000, Spider said:

On 17/03/2013 15:41, Sacha wrote:
This is a very old Photinia in our garden. It's probably about 60 years
old and though Ray was told the name a long time ago, he can't recall it
now. If anyone can hazard a guess at its id, we'd be grateful. I like it
a LOT more than P Red Robin because I like its rusty colour more.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...in/photostream

Photinia 'Redstart'? It's reputed to be less fiery.

I don't think so, though thanks, Spider. The one we have is pretty old,
admittedly, but I don't think P Redstart gets large enough, even so.

How about P. davidiana, which can make a small/medium tree?
It may also be worth your while to check on Stranvaesi spp. since a name
change occurred between the two genera some time ago.

Old 18-03-2013, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-18 14:30:50 +0000, Spider said:

On 17/03/2013 15:41, Sacha wrote:
This is a very old Photinia in our garden. It's probably about 60 years
old and though Ray was told the name a long time ago, he can't recall it
now. If anyone can hazard a guess at its id, we'd be grateful. I like it
a LOT more than P Red Robin because I like its rusty colour more.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...in/photostream

Photinia 'Redstart'? It's reputed to be less fiery.

I don't think so, though thanks, Spider. The one we have is pretty old,
admittedly, but I don't think P Redstart gets large enough, even so.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

What about Birmingham?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 18-03-2013, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-18 14:30:50 +0000, Spider said:

On 17/03/2013 15:41, Sacha wrote:
This is a very old Photinia in our garden. It's probably about 60 years
old and though Ray was told the name a long time ago, he can't recall it
now. If anyone can hazard a guess at its id, we'd be grateful. I like it
a LOT more than P Red Robin because I like its rusty colour more.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...in/photostream

Photinia 'Redstart'? It's reputed to be less fiery.

I don't think so, though thanks, Spider. The one we have is pretty old,
admittedly, but I don't think P Redstart gets large enough, even so.

How about P. davidiana, which can make a small/medium tree?
It may also be worth your while to check on Stranvaesi spp. since a
name change occurred between the two genera some time ago.

I think both are a distinct possibility. Ray just can't remember and
nothing suggested so far has jogged his memory at all. A man came to
the garden in the 80s (Keeper of the Valley Garden at Windsor) whose
knowledge was simply immense. He asked Ray if he was propagating that
Photinia and Ray said 'no'. This chap, John Bond, barked 'You should
be'! I tend to agree with him!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-03-2013, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-18 14:30:50 +0000, Spider said:

On 17/03/2013 15:41, Sacha wrote:
This is a very old Photinia in our garden. It's probably about 60 years
old and though Ray was told the name a long time ago, he can't recall it
now. If anyone can hazard a guess at its id, we'd be grateful. I like it
a LOT more than P Red Robin because I like its rusty colour more.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...in/photostream

Photinia 'Redstart'? It's reputed to be less fiery.

I don't think so, though thanks, Spider. The one we have is pretty old,
admittedly, but I don't think P Redstart gets large enough, even so.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

What about Birmingham?

That's another possible! I'll try to get a close up of one leaf today.
Next time you and Liz are this way (Totnes Plant Fair?) I hope you'll
come over anyway but perhaps you'd take a look and see what you think.
Did you ever meet this John Ward, Charlie? He came in here because he
sometimes went past on his way to visit an aunt in St Ives, I believe.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-03-2013, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-18 14:30:50 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

Blech! John Bond!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-03-2013, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-18 14:30:50 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

Well, I've just googled "Photinias at Valley Garden Windsor" and the
only Photoinia named is P. davidiana. Is it possible that John Bond
(having been inspired) managed to source the same Photinia as yours, or
that Ray gave him some cuttings material? Just a thought.

Old 19-03-2013, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-18 14:30:50 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

It's a good thought! I'll ask Ray about that very thing. Apparently,
this chap was an absolute botanic genius, in the nicest sense and when
Ray told him the name of some plant that he'd been told by another
highly respected head gardener, John Bond said "Next time you see him,
tell him he's talking absolute rubbish"!! It tends to be a clash of
the titans with people as elevated as that, it seems to me!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-03-2013, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

What about Birmingham?

That's another possible! I'll try to get a close up of one leaf today.
Next time you and Liz are this way (Totnes Plant Fair?) I hope you'll
come over anyway but perhaps you'd take a look and see what you think.
Did you ever meet this John Ward, Charlie? He came in here because he
sometimes went past on his way to visit an aunt in St Ives, I believe.

Blech! John Bond!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Not met either of them!

Old 19-03-2013, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-18 14:30:50 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

Indeed. Thankfully most gardeners I've met have been very pleasant,
even the knowledgeable ones. Mind you, there's always the odd
haughtyculturalist.

Old 19-03-2013, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-18 14:30:50 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

The funny thing there is how often they fall apart when it comes right
down to it. I'm in name-dropping mode for which I apologise, but Chris
Brickells was here on one occasion and answered a question Ray didn't
have an answer for. But a short time later he was asking Ray for
information. Now, if someone like that can admit that nobody knows
everything, the haughtyculturalists can take a running jump!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-03-2013, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-19 17:07:59 +0000, Charlie Pridham said:

What about Birmingham?

That's another possible! I'll try to get a close up of one leaf today.
Next time you and Liz are this way (Totnes Plant Fair?) I hope you'll
come over anyway but perhaps you'd take a look and see what you think.
Did you ever meet this John Ward, Charlie? He came in here because he
sometimes went past on his way to visit an aunt in St Ives, I believe.

Blech! John Bond!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Not met either of them!

Ah well - we still hope to see you! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-03-2013, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-18 14:30:50 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

My sentiments exactly! If you can't admit an area of ignorance, you've
no hope of learning. And while we're name-dropping, did I mention that
I'd met Roy Lancaster and Matthew Wilson? ;~).