Old 17-03-2013, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chionodoxa

I planted a lot of sprint bulbs for naturalising last year, and
all have come through (though usually not woth flowers, as I
expected) except the Chionodoxa. Are they normally much later
than Crocus, Puschkinia, Ornithogalum, daffodils etc.? Or were
they all non-viable?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-03-2013, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick wrote

I planted a lot of sprint bulbs for naturalising last year, and
all have come through (though usually not woth flowers, as I
expected) except the Chionodoxa. Are they normally much later
than Crocus, Puschkinia, Ornithogalum, daffodils etc.? Or were
they all non-viable?

Mine are just showing a little colour but are not open yet, the larger pink
ones tend to be earlier than the blue ones which are difficult to tell from
grass at first. Last week I couldn't see the blue ones in the grass but I
can today.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 17-03-2013, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

I planted a lot of sprint bulbs for naturalising last year, and
all have come through (though usually not woth flowers, as I
expected) except the Chionodoxa. Are they normally much later
than Crocus, Puschkinia, Ornithogalum, daffodils etc.? Or were
they all non-viable?

Mine are just showing a little colour but are not open yet, the larger pink
ones tend to be earlier than the blue ones which are difficult to tell from
grass at first. Last week I couldn't see the blue ones in the grass but I
can today.

Yes, but I can't see any leaves! I might have confused them with
grass, but I don't think so. Of the new ones I planted, only the
Pushkinia is going to flower the first year afterwards.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-03-2013, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:

I planted a lot of sprint bulbs for naturalising last year, and
all have come through (though usually not woth flowers, as I
expected) except the Chionodoxa. Are they normally much later
than Crocus, Puschkinia, Ornithogalum, daffodils etc.? Or were
they all non-viable?

Mine are just showing a little colour but are not open yet, the larger
pink
ones tend to be earlier than the blue ones which are difficult to tell
from
grass at first. Last week I couldn't see the blue ones in the grass but I
can today.

Yes, but I can't see any leaves! I might have confused them with
grass, but I don't think so. Of the new ones I planted, only the
Pushkinia is going to flower the first year afterwards.

The blue ones are easily missed as they do look grass like at first.
Not all mine took originally but the ones that did soon made more, including
one that came up pure white.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 18-03-2013, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

The blue ones are easily missed as they do look grass like at first.
Not all mine took originally but the ones that did soon made more, including
one that came up pure white.

Thanks very much. I shall wait and hope.

Regards,
Nick.

Old 18-03-2013, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...

I planted a lot of sprint bulbs for naturalising last year, and
all have come through (though usually not woth flowers, as I
expected) except the Chionodoxa. Are they normally much later
than Crocus, Puschkinia, Ornithogalum, daffodils etc.? Or were
they all non-viable?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

My pink ones are just showing colour, the blues will be after, both are
after the crocus

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 20-03-2013, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/03/2013 16:39, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 09:09:20 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:
BTW watch out for the comet in the evening sky - easy in binoculars if the clouds ever go away again.

Do you have any more details? What where etc.

Western sky after sunset and still in twilight so it is a bit tricky to
see with the naked eye unless you look in exactly the right place.
Fairly easy in binoculars once you find it the first time. Shows up much
better in photographs. A rather pretty picture from last week online at
Cloudbait obs shows thin crescent moon in the same field.

http://cloudbait.com/gallery/comet/c2011l4.html

It is a bit harder to see the tail than that photo implies.
Cameras are better than human eyes at seeing low contrast detail.

Presently close to the bottom left star in the square of Pegasus and
rising slowly to be in Andromeda by the end of the month.

RAS finder chart:

http://www.ras.org.uk/images/stories...er%20chart.jpg

You want to catch it before it sets which limits how dark the sky is.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 21-03-2013, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

I planted a lot of sprint bulbs for naturalising last year, and
all have come through (though usually not woth flowers, as I
expected) except the Chionodoxa. Are they normally much later
than Crocus, Puschkinia, Ornithogalum, daffodils etc.? Or were
they all non-viable?

They still look just like slightly too fat grass up here in N Yorks
where it is presently snowing on my early daffodils

A few of mine have come through. While they look somewhat like
grass, they are fairly easy to tell apart from the grass I have
here. However, as far as I can see, only a very few have even
survived. Ah, well.

So much for the vernal equinox. BTW watch out for the comet in the
evening sky - easy in binoculars if the clouds ever go away again.

Clearly a portent of doom. Now, what catastrophic event happened
yesterday?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.