Old 17-03-2013, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice on frog spawn

Uncannily, the frogs have again started producing spawn again on 17th
March -- they seem to choose this date every year.

The first two lots have been laid in the shallow part of the pond on the
gravel bottom, and it has piled out of the water. I have moved it into
deeper water, so that it all stays wet (and incidentally further out of
reach of the birds). Is it right to do that, or should spawn be only
half-submerged?

Ta,
John
Old 17-03-2013, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 17:19:36 +0000, Another John
wrote:

Uncannily, the frogs have again started producing spawn again on 17th
March -- they seem to choose this date every year.

The first two lots have been laid in the shallow part of the pond on the
gravel bottom, and it has piled out of the water. I have moved it into
deeper water, so that it all stays wet (and incidentally further out of
reach of the birds). Is it right to do that, or should spawn be only
half-submerged?

Frogs invariably choose 'shallow water' when spawning and a clump of
spawn is usually not submerged completely, the topmost layer being
partially out of the water. There are hazards associated with this -
freezing and predators. From memory they choose 'shallow water'
rather than the deeper areas of a pond as it is likely to be lighter
slightly warmer, encouraging the development of the eggs.

Whilst mentioning 'shallow water' the water can be quite deep provided
there is a layer of weed relatively near the surface for the spawn to
sit on.

You are unlikely to have harmed the prospects of the clump
(particularly during the current cold spell) unless you have submerged
it in deep water.
--
rbel
Old 17-03-2013, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , rbel wrote:

Frogs invariably choose 'shallow water' when spawning .... ...
You are unlikely to have harmed the prospects of the clump
(particularly during the current cold spell) unless you have submerged
it in deep water.

Excellent - thanks a lot rbel.

John
Old 17-03-2013, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

IME the spawn sinks naturally when it gets cold and rises when it gets
warmer. Don't ask me how or why - it just is. I leave spawn wherever
it's laid (including occasionally on the lawn where it will die of
course) and let it take its chances.

I have about a square metre of the stuff in the pond this year. God
help me next year when the survivors return to their birthing pond for
their annual orgy!

I find that, often, the spawn is laid over the planting baskets and
there's only about 2-3cm between the surface of the baskets and the
surface of the water. So there's not that much "sink and rise"
movement and it's not unusual for the thickness of ice on the pond to
encompass the spawn - my first lot appeared in January this year! But
is remains viable. I suppose that's nature.

Just let it be.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay
in between feeding half the UK bird population!

Frog Spawn Stephen G United Kingdom 2 15-04-2003 02:20 PM
We have frog spawn Kay Easton United Kingdom 18 23-03-2003 07:44 PM
My frog spawn sank Serenity United Kingdom 3 18-03-2003 06:09 PM
Frog spawn Instep Walking Holidays United Kingdom 0 18-03-2003 05:08 PM
Frog, toad and newt spawn Annabel United Kingdom 9 08-03-2003 05:45 PM