Old 25-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Registered User

Question Runner Beans

When will you sow Runner Beans this year assuming that sometime in the next 3 months the temperature will reach 60 degrees?
Old 25-03-2013, 07:53 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigolob View Post
When will you sow Runner Beans this year assuming that sometime in the next 3 months the temperature will reach 60 degrees?
I'm expecting to sow in the greenhouse late April/early May.
That said, I haven't sown anything yet except sweet peas. Just not in a sowing mood at the moment. Probably something to do with having to work out which snow drift conceals the bags of compost.
__________________
Old 25-03-2013, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Runner Beans

Bigolob wrote:
When will you sow Runner Beans this year assuming that sometime in the
next 3 months the temperature will reach 60 degrees?

I normally do them straight in the ground when it's warm enough, but
after last year's disaster I've started them up in modules to transplant
out once they're big enough to survive.

(Last year I did 7 or 8 sewings, both from greenhouse-started and
straight in the ground, and every night the bloody slugs munched the
lot. Same with the courgettes and butternuts. It was a baaaad year)

Old 25-03-2013, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bigolob" wrote in message

When will you sow Runner Beans this year assuming that sometime in the
next 3 months the temperature will reach 60 degrees?

My grandfather always sowed them on May 8th. This has worked for me until
now.
By the time they emerge usually all frost is past, but who knows this year?

--
Bigolob

Old 25-03-2013, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bigolob.bc66b96
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

When will you sow Runner Beans this year assuming that sometime in the
next 3 months the temperature will reach 60 degrees?

Depends on last-frost dates where you live. Here, I'll plant seeds
in pots indoors in May, to be hardened off in the cold frame then
planted out around June 7 th.

Janet (Arran)
Old 27-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell View Post
[/i][/color]
No hedgehogs should ever be out during the day. Read this:
Hedgehogs
When you see one out in the day, they are usually very ill. The first couple of times I saw this, near my previous house, where they are common (I had them breeding under the shed one year), they were clearly beyond saving. But I saw one recently - which was interestingly the first time I have seen a hedgehog in the vicinity of my present house (too many badgers round here) - it scarpered, which suggests it had rather more life left in it than the previous times. Though I wouldn't fancy its chances against the badgers...
Old 27-03-2013, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

We have had a hedgehog visiting the garden during the
day time last week, not seen him since the snow!
Hopefully he will keep the slugs at bay this year!

No hedgehogs should ever be out during the day. Read this:
http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/hedgehogs.html

I though that, but he seemed to be well, feeding
happily. He (or she) even climbed into a marg
container that had a fat and seed mixture for the
birds and tucked in happily before wandering off.

We were away last week, and then/now there is the
snow, so I've not seen him since. I think I know where
he's been hibernating, but I'm not going to
investigate until the weather gets much warmer.

Not sure where my nearest wildlife hospital is.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Old 29-03-2013, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bigolob" wrote

When will you sow Runner Beans this year assuming that sometime in the
next 3 months the temperature will reach 60 degrees?

It's not the temperature it will rise to that is the thing to worry about
it's what temperature it will go down to that should guide your planting of
such things. I can't put them out till the end of May, Chelsea time, when
the possibility of frost is over (although we did get one on the 9th June a
few years back). So as they usually only take about 4 weeks to grow to
planting size in our greenhouse I will plant beginning of May in 7"
rootrainers and then some more later.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 29-03-2013, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in news:arbukqFmnbeU1
@mid.individual.net:

Bigolob wrote:
When will you sow Runner Beans this year assuming that sometime in the
next 3 months the temperature will reach 60 degrees?

I normally do them straight in the ground when it's warm enough, but
after last year's disaster I've started them up in modules to transplant
out once they're big enough to survive.

(Last year I did 7 or 8 sewings, both from greenhouse-started and
straight in the ground, and every night the bloody slugs munched the
lot. Same with the courgettes and butternuts. It was a baaaad year)

I remember all the sowings you had to do.

Baz

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 11:38 AM
Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 10:12 PM
Runner Beans mark United Kingdom 27 01-05-2009 10:37 PM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 04:17 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 09:32 AM