Old 01-04-2013, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default El;ectric moss scarifiers

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 11:21:35 +0100, Janet wrote:

When looking up your earlier suggestion I found the wheeled version
too, wasn't sure if it would be as robust.. did your mother find it
effective? One or other is probably going to be our choice.

Janet

Construction-wise, the wheeled version is as strong as mine and I
think it would do as good a job provided the lawn is flat but it might
be less effective on an undulating lawn as the wheels might stop the
"spikes" getting low enough. But Mum's lawn was flat as a pancake and
she found it fine to use. I've never tried it on a less flat lawn as
my sister nabbed it when Mum died.

Perhaps more important is the length of the handle. If you already
have several Wolf tools and different lengths of handle, try different
combinations. Because both types work on a push-pull pivoting thing,
the handle length relative to your height will affect the angle at
which the points cut into the sward on the pull. The interchangeable
handles don't seem to lend themselves to being gripped for any length
of time other than where they're intended to be gripped.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay
in between feeding half the UK bird population!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:

My mother has an old Qualcast electric scarifier, which has done
sterling work in both our gardens over the years. It has sprung tines
which don't break, although do occasionally get bent but are bend-
backable, and it's actually made of metal (!) so I doubt that it's
equivalent is available today. The one reservation I have is that the
box is absurdly small for the amount of moss it gathers, and I have to
stop every few yards to empty it. That is probably a reflection of the
quality of our grass, but these days I run it without the box, and it
spews out moss shreddings all over my legs, (so welly boots are not
appropriate!) and then go over the grass again with the mower to
gather them up.

I have a similar model, and I would agree with all you say.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
news
Chris Hogg wrote:

My mother has an old Qualcast electric scarifier, which has done
sterling work in both our gardens over the years. It has sprung tines
which don't break, although do occasionally get bent but are bend-
backable, and it's actually made of metal (!) so I doubt that it's
equivalent is available today. The one reservation I have is that the
box is absurdly small for the amount of moss it gathers, and I have to
stop every few yards to empty it. That is probably a reflection of the
quality of our grass, but these days I run it without the box, and it
spews out moss shreddings all over my legs, (so welly boots are not
appropriate!) and then go over the grass again with the mower to
gather them up.

I have a similar model, and I would agree with all you say.

Chris

Now you mention Qualcast I think that was the one. It was brilliant.
Tina

Old 02-04-2013, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/04/2013 18:29, Christina Websell wrote:
Now you mention Qualcast I think that was the one. It was brilliant.
Tina

Just bought last October an MTD big Lawnflite one. Then of course it
rained persistently and now it's really cold so not had chance to use
it. Large box and no spokes but metal blades which apparently are very
efficient and if you set it low enough in damp conditions it will slit
ground as well.

let you know how it goes when i get a chance to use it!!

--
Janet T.
Amersham