Old 04-04-2013, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Irrigation Tip

I am making an irrigation layout at the moment :13mm and 4mm piping - for some
raised beds

I need to cut the 13mm to quite precise lengths with L's and T's. I was then
finding it quite difficult to push the piping over the barbs with the pipes in
situ

Ding!!

Put the end of the pipe in a jug of near boiling water - and then the piping
just pushes on with no problem after becoming quite soft.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 16:09:30 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 14:54:49 +0100, Judith in England
wrote:

I am making an irrigation layout at the moment :13mm and 4mm piping

I need to cut the 13mm to quite precise lengths with L's and T's. I was then
finding it quite difficult to push the piping over the barbs with the pipes in
situ

Ding!!

Put the end of the pipe in a jug of near boiling water - and then the piping
just pushes on with no problem after becoming quite soft.

People with a marine toilet uses the same method to replace plastic
plumbing in their boat. Some use a hair drier, a few use an electric
paint stripper to warm the plastic.

If the pipe is already semi flexible such as PVC and you don't have
access to a container of hot water or a source of hot air then hit the
end inch or two rapidly with a hammer with the pipe up against a hard
surface.
The energy has to go somewhere and it's surprising how short a time it
takes to soften up the end.

G.Harman
Old 04-04-2013, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/04/2013 14:54, Judith in England wrote:

I am making an irrigation layout at the moment :13mm and 4mm piping - for some
raised beds

I need to cut the 13mm to quite precise lengths with L's and T's. I was then
finding it quite difficult to push the piping over the barbs with the pipes in
situ

Ding!!

Put the end of the pipe in a jug of near boiling water - and then the piping
just pushes on with no problem after becoming quite soft.

To make it even easier, don't use a jug.
Fill a large flask with the boiling water, it will remain usable for a
good hour, though it doesn't make very good tea afterwords. though it
would probably still be OK for coffee.
I have an old flask kept for this sort of job.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/04/2013 17:27, David Hill wrote:
it will remain usable for a good hour, though it doesn't make very good
tea afterwords. though it would probably still be OK for coffee.

ugh sacrilege, I'd rather use luke warm water on tea than in a cafetiere
with the new ground Costa Coffee that you can buy

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 05-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Eric H.'s Avatar
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy[_2_] View Post
On 04/04/2013 17:27, David Hill wrote:
it will remain usable for a good hour, though it doesn't make very good
tea afterwords. though it would probably still be OK for coffee.

ugh sacrilege, I'd rather use luke warm water on tea than in a cafetiere
with the new ground Costa Coffee that you can buy

--
Janet T.
Amersham

Haha, see that's the difference between you Continental Europeans and us Brits

Old 05-04-2013, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 17:27:09 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

snip

To make it even easier, don't use a jug.
Fill a large flask with the boiling water, it will remain usable for a
good hour, though it doesn't make very good tea afterwords. though it
would probably still be OK for coffee.
I have an old flask kept for this sort of job.

Good plan. I fished out the old "Thermos" ® - and it was perfect.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in England wrote in
:

On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 17:27:09 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

snip

To make it even easier, don't use a jug.
Fill a large flask with the boiling water, it will remain usable for a
good hour, though it doesn't make very good tea afterwords. though it
would probably still be OK for coffee.
I have an old flask kept for this sort of job.

Good plan. I fished out the old "Thermos" ® - and it was perfect.

I have an old flask for similar purposes, cooking hempseed for fishing and
to soften up some stiff and set fuel pipes, both on my old rotovator and
bikes too. Little end of conrods too, prior to pressing in the bearings.
There must be hundreds of uses.

Baz
Old 07-04-2013, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/04/2013 14:54, Judith in England wrote:

I am making an irrigation layout at the moment :13mm and 4mm piping - for some
raised beds

I need to cut the 13mm to quite precise lengths with L's and T's. I was then
finding it quite difficult to push the piping over the barbs with the pipes in
situ

Ding!!

Put the end of the pipe in a jug of near boiling water - and then the piping
just pushes on with no problem after becoming quite soft.

Pouring over some hot water can be useful when dismantling the layout
too. (discovered after snapping a T piece trying to pull a pipe off cold).