Old 04-04-2013, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plants from Sarah Raven

Has anyone ordered plants from Sarah Raven?
I ordered some, seeds, bulbs and plants.
Ordering very efficient, email notification when things are
despatched. Seeds and Lily bulbs arrived very successfully.
Today I had a box of plants. The box was too big for the plants and
they were all shaken around inside, compost coming loose.
I expected better and have sent off a strong complaint.
It was partly the delivery company throwing the box about but the
packaging was so inadequate.
My first and last order from her.

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-04-2013, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday, 4 April 2013 22:32:05 UTC+1, Pam Moore wrote:
Has anyone ordered plants from Sarah Raven? I ordered some, seeds, bulbs and plants. Ordering very efficient, email notification when things are despatched. Seeds and Lily bulbs arrived very successfully. Today I had a box of plants. The box was too big for the plants and they were all shaken around inside, compost coming loose. I expected better and have sent off a strong complaint. It was partly the delivery company throwing the box about but the packaging was so inadequate. My first and last order from her. Pam in Bristol

My own experience looking at her boxed plants is that they are incredibly expensive.A couple of years ago she was selling 10 Little Gem lettuce plantlets for £9.50.At the same time we were selling a box of 15 lettuce plants for £1.
My advice is to stay well clear.
michael
Old 05-04-2013, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

michael wrote in
:

[...]

Surely £9.50 is a misprint from that company for 10 ?
Having said that, I just looked at her website and it is clear that just
about everything is way, way overpriced.
Goodness me! How DO they get away with it.

Baz
Old 05-04-2013, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-05 16:17:34 +0100, Baz said:

michael wrote in
:

[...]

The power of television, Baz!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-04-2013, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 16:48:26 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Surely £9.50 is a misprint from that company for 10 ?
Having said that, I just looked at her website and it is clear that just
about everything is way, way overpriced.
Goodness me! How DO they get away with it.

Baz

The power of television, Baz!

She's on television? I've never heard of her.

Steve

Old 05-04-2013, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote ...
Sacha wrote:

Surely £9.50 is a misprint from that company for 10 ?
Having said that, I just looked at her website and it is clear that
just about everything is way, way overpriced.
Goodness me! How DO they get away with it.

The power of television, Baz!

She's on television? I've never heard of her.

I havn't either!

This may help........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Raven
Her husband is the grandson of Vita Sackville-West of Sissinghurst garden
(now NT) fame.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-05 16:58:12 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme said:

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 16:48:26 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Surely £9.50 is a misprint from that company for 10 ?
Having said that, I just looked at her website and it is clear that just
about everything is way, way overpriced.
Goodness me! How DO they get away with it.

Baz

The power of television, Baz!

She's on television? I've never heard of her.

Steve

If you've seen a woman gardening in a skirt and buttoned knee boots,
you've seen her. She has appeared on gardening programmes and her
husband's grandmother was Vita Sackville West. He is Adam Nicolson.
His grandparents owned Sissinghurst and I believe he and Sarah live in
part of it - may be wrong on that. There was a tv programme which
partly involved her trying to redirect the general thrust of the
Sissinghurst's National Trust restaurant's food. Sarah Raven is a very
well known tv gardener who was a doctor by training. She's what I
think might be called a 'driven person'. I'm not at one with her
marketing style but nobody could fail to admire her determination to
make something out of what they live in and need to make work, imo.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-04-2013, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2013 17:49, Bob Hobden wrote:
his may help........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Raven
Her husband is the grandson of Vita Sackville-West of Sissinghurst
garden (now NT) fame.

The clash of egos between her and the in-house chef in the Sissinghurst
TV programme was really funny to watch. neither was going to back down,
and possibly a gentler approach might have had more results

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 05-04-2013, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2013 16:17, Baz wrote:
michael wrote in
:

[...]

Bought by Raven lunatics

Old 06-04-2013, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday, 4 April 2013 22:32:05 UTC+1, Pam Moore wrote:
Has anyone ordered plants from Sarah Raven? I ordered some, seeds, bulbs and plants. Ordering very efficient, email notification when things are despatched. Seeds and Lily bulbs arrived very successfully. Today I had a box of plants. The box was too big for the plants and they were all shaken around inside, compost coming loose. I expected better and have sent off a strong complaint. It was partly the delivery company throwing the box about but the packaging was so inadequate. My first and last order from her. Pam in Bristol

No,£9.50 was the price charged!!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2013 19:36, David Hill wrote:
On 05/04/2013 16:17, Baz wrote:
michael wrote in
:

[...]