Old 07-04-2013, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default No M Campbellii this year

Very sad. Ray's Magnolia Campbellii ( he refers to it it as his
'memorial' planted during his lifetime!) has been frost blasted. A
couple of buds were just starting to open but this took the full force
of gales and cold and every one has turned black and shrivelled. It's
a sorry sight but a sort of illustration of this cold spring. ;-(
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-04-2013, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/04/2013 20:16, Sacha wrote:
Very sad. Ray's Magnolia Campbellii ( he refers to it it as his
'memorial' planted during his lifetime!) has been frost blasted. A
couple of buds were just starting to open but this took the full force
of gales and cold and every one has turned black and shrivelled. It's
a sorry sight but a sort of illustration of this cold spring. ;-(

That's a pity. Last weekend, in Palmerston Park in the centre of
Southampton, there was a 30 ft+ Magnolia campbellii in full flower. It
looked magnificent. As far as I could tell, there was no frost damage
at all.

--

Jeff
Old 08-04-2013, 07:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-07 21:34:22 +0100, Jeff Layman said:

On 07/04/2013 20:16, Sacha wrote:
Very sad. Ray's Magnolia Campbellii ( he refers to it it as his
'memorial' planted during his lifetime!) has been frost blasted. A
couple of buds were just starting to open but this took the full force
of gales and cold and every one has turned black and shrivelled. It's
a sorry sight but a sort of illustration of this cold spring. ;-(

That's a pity. Last weekend, in Palmerston Park in the centre of
Southampton, there was a 30 ft+ Magnolia campbellii in full flower. It
looked magnificent. As far as I could tell, there was no frost damage
at all.

There were a couple of really lovely Magnolias in flower at Trewithen
when we went. They looked magnificent. A customer came in a few days
later and said there wasn't a petal left on them - the wind has blasted
the lot. Our other Magnolias seem fine but this particular one is on a
corner by the lane and takes the full force of any wind blasting up
towards us. It has no shelter from surrounding growth so if there's a
frost, it gets hit.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-04-2013, 07:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-07 21:34:22 +0100, Jeff Layman said:

[...]

Petal loss?

Magnolia Petal Carpet.

http://www.myalbum.co.uk/Album-6IY3I...-of-Other.html

Had this picture published in the local paper.

Mike