Old 10-04-2013, 05:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chain Saw Oil

I have just got a small chain saw for the first time.

The instruction say I need to get chain saw oil, to lubricate the chain
during operation.

Do I really need a specific oil or is ordinary car gear box oil going to
work just as well?

Larry

Old 10-04-2013, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
I have just got a small chain saw for the first time.

The instruction say I need to get chain saw oil, to lubricate the chain
during operation.

Do I really need a specific oil or is ordinary car gear box oil going to
work just as well?

Gearbox oil is possibly going to be a bit viscous for it, especially if
you're talking about OEP 90. General purpose light machine oil should do
you. Marketing it as chainsaw oil is almost certainly more of a revenue
stream than a special requirement. You could check out the specification on
the label for what standards it meets.

All this assumes of course that you're referring to oil for the chain (bar
oil) rather than for the engine.

Fora are full of people arguing for the use of various oils, including
several people who use old engine oil. Bottom line is that whilst it's not
the case that "oil is oil" as some say, in this instance any oil is going to
be better than no oil.

Steve

Old 10-04-2013, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
I have just got a small chain saw for the first time.

The instruction say I need to get chain saw oil, to lubricate the chain
during operation.

Do I really need a specific oil or is ordinary car gear box oil going to
work just as well?

Larry

If you buy Chain oil in 5lt containers it is normally a lot cheaper than
other oils anyway. That said any oil that has the same properties as those
recommended would do , it doesn't have to be called Chain oil!

I don't think gear box oil would be thin enough

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 10-04-2013, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 09:53:07 +0100, shazzbat wrote:

Gearbox oil is possibly going to be a bit viscous for it, especially if
you're talking about OEP 90.

EP90, smells like cat pee?

I thought chain oil was "sticky" so it stayed on the chain and didn't fly
off all over the place. And isn't there some concern about
bio-degradeabilty?

Donno but would like to...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:55:37 +0100, Janet wrote:

If you know so little about chainsaws you should not be using one.

Or at the very least get shown how to use it safely. You really don't
want a chain saw to bite you, chain brake or not...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 10:35:59 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
I have just got a small chain saw for the first time.

The instruction say I need to get chain saw oil, to lubricate the chain
during operation.

Do I really need a specific oil or is ordinary car gear box oil going
to work just as well?

Larry

If you buy Chain oil in 5lt containers it is normally a lot cheaper than
other oils anyway. That said any oil that has the same properties as
those recommended would do , it doesn't have to be called Chain oil!

I don't think gear box oil would be thin enough

I have tried it in a pinch. Doesn't work very well, but better than
nothing. But price is certainly the main concern, chain oil as you point
out is much cheaper.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 10-04-2013, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wednesday, 10 April 2013 05:24:46 UTC+1, Larry Stoter wrote:
I have just got a small chain saw for the first time.

The instruction say I need to get chain saw oil, to lubricate the chain

during operation.

Do I really need a specific oil or is ordinary car gear box oil going to

work just as well?

Larry

Gear oil is too thick
Old engine oil is carcinogenic and in any case is bad stuff to spray around.
Proper chain oil isn't going to break the bank and it's formulated for 'anti-fling' properties as well as being a good lube for the job.
You can get 'standard' mineral based formulations but increasingly for professional use folks are starting to change to bio-degradable vegetable based products. But not cooking oil etc it congeals.
See Janet's comments further down. These machines can do you a very severe injury or worse. Also a wrong cut (even with a small saw) can bring something down on you or onto something you don't want damaging.
So at the very least get some training or failing all else read, re-read the manual many times and don't try anything clever until you know how the saw feels and behaves in your hands.
Buy personal protective clothing - cut proof chainsaw boots, gloves and trousers or leggings and helmet with mesh visor and ear defenders.
Learn how to sharpen it and keep it sharp.

Rod
Old 10-04-2013, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:

[...]

Thank you.

Interesting - from those that have actually answered the question, some
seem to think chain saw oil needs to be thick so as not to fly around,
while some think engine oil/gearbox oil is too thick.

Which confirms my initial thoughts - as you say in your 2nd sentence,
chain saw oil is nothing special but just a repackaging exercise to
generate a further market.

I will use the unused engine oil from a half-empty 5 ltr container in
the garage, which will cost me nothing.

Going rather off-topic, some years ago I visited a Castrol formulation
laboratory. It seems that the colour of engine oils has absolutely
nothing to do with the properties but is taylored to meet local market
expectations. In South America, they consider that engine oil should be
very dark while in Northern Europe, the market wants a pale oil. It's in
fact exactly the same oil with the same operating properties but Castrol
changes the colour to meet customer expectations :-)

Larry

Old 10-04-2013, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 22:06:21 +0100, Larry Stoter wrote:

... some seem to think chain saw oil needs to be thick so as not to fly
around, while some think engine oil/gearbox oil is too thick.

Stickiness / anti-fling doesn't necessarily mean high viscosity.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

Stickiness / anti-fling doesn't necessarily mean high viscosity.

And although the brands may not cross the pond well, proper bar and chain
oil is cheaper than motor oil (which my cheapo chain saw that I wore our
recommended). My Stihl came with a quart (well...liter) in a handy to use
squeeze bottle, which I've been refilling from the gallon of Homelite chain
oil I bought from the local DIY store to replace it. And yes, one of those
machines can hurt you. Don't go to a country doctor after nicking your leg
and expect sympathy!

Old 11-04-2013, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

Stickiness / anti-fling doesn't necessarily mean high viscosity.

And although the brands may not cross the pond well, proper bar and chain
oil is cheaper than motor oil (which my cheapo chain saw that I wore our
recommended). My Stihl came with a quart (well...liter) in a handy to
use
squeeze bottle, which I've been refilling from the gallon of Homelite
chain
oil I bought from the local DIY store to replace it. And yes, one of those
machines can hurt you. Don't go to a country doctor after nicking your
leg
and expect sympathy!

Cue old joke, slightly modified -

If you slip and cut your leg off with that thing, don't come running to me!

Steve