Old 11-04-2013, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Miles of mowing

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 14:18:17 GMT, Baz wrote:

Sacha wrote in :

According to today's Country Life a British man walks 224 miles behind
a lawnmower during his lifetime! Bet that's cheered you all up!

I feel like the 224 miles have been walked every time I mow the lawns. It
is so boring, seems to take a lifetime in its self. In fact, I think
weeding is more interesting than cutting grass.

Baz

I only have a few undamaged areas to mow, so am envious of all you
"fell walkers". Hardly worth getting the mower out here.

Should be able to get on with the re seeding soon as the weather gets
warmer.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay where it got
dark today an hour earlier than a week ago!
Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-11 15:18:17 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in :

According to today's Country Life a British man walks 224 miles behind
a lawnmower during his lifetime! Bet that's cheered you all up!

I feel like the 224 miles have been walked every time I mow the lawns. It
is so boring, seems to take a lifetime in its self. In fact, I think
weeding is more interesting than cutting grass.

Baz

I quite like weeding because you see an instant result. I'll probably
be howled down but I find planting quite dull, though I enjoy planning!
Mowing on a tractor mower on the parking overflow field is good because
you can just do it and be thinking of something else with most of the
brain!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-04-2013, 07:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-11 15:18:17 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in :

According to today's Country Life a British man walks 224 miles behind
a lawnmower during his lifetime! Bet that's cheered you all up!

I feel like the 224 miles have been walked every time I mow the lawns. It
is so boring, seems to take a lifetime in its self. In fact, I think
weeding is more interesting than cutting grass.

Baz

I quite like weeding because you see an instant result. I'll probably
be howled down but I find planting quite dull, though I enjoy planning!

Watching people planting on TV gardening programmes is one of the
soporific things I know.

Yes, I don't know why I don't enjoy it more because it's something that
makes a material change to the garden but digging a hole and sticking
something in it just isn't very exciting to me!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-04-2013, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-11 15:18:17 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in :

According to today's Country Life a British man walks 224 miles behind
a lawnmower during his lifetime! Bet that's cheered you all up!

I feel like the 224 miles have been walked every time I mow the lawns. It
is so boring, seems to take a lifetime in its self. In fact, I think
weeding is more interesting than cutting grass.

Baz

I quite like weeding because you see an instant result. I'll probably
be howled down but I find planting quite dull, though I enjoy planning!

Watching people planting on TV gardening programmes is one of the
soporific things I know.

Yes, I don't know why I don't enjoy it more because it's something that
makes a material change to the garden but digging a hole and sticking
something in it just isn't very exciting to me!

That's reassuring. I thought I had a problem.

You haven't read The Bad Tempered Gardener, have you?!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-04-2013, 10:03 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Sacha[_10_
I quite like weeding because you see an instant result. I'll probably
be howled down but I find planting quite dull, though I enjoy planning!
Mowing on a tractor mower on the parking overflow field is good because
you can just do it and be thinking of something else with most of the
brain!
--
Weeding is good because
a) you can sit down

Mowing is better now I've got rid of most of the grass. I have a tiddly lawn mower which weighs only 3 kg (so I can carry it in one hand easily) and yet I usually only have to empty the bag three times.

What I hate doing is spreading the compost. It's a red-letter day when I've emptied one of the bins and at last have more space for weeds.
__________________

Old 12-04-2013, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:03:51 +0000, kay
wrote:

Weeding is good because
a) you can sit down

Unless you have a large waistline which gets in the way when you lean
forward from your seated position
b) you can fill lots of tubs of weeds, which gives a sense of
achievement

Not without getting up and moving around a lot (unless you have a lot
of weeds in one place) which sort of defeats the object of seating as
you need to move the seat as well as your tub(s) and tools
c) there's lots to look at - great for looking at plants in a detailed
way

Unless the aforementioned expanded waistline gets in the way!
d) you meet frogs

And have to get up to put them back into the pond before resident cat
comes out to play
e) you come across lots of interesting self-seedings - the trickier the
plant, the more likely it is that you will come across a self seeding in
a really awkward place.

All I would come across is a load of Himalayan balsam seedlings.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay where the
showers of April have arrived!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

An hour ago a frog followed my wife from the garden into the kitchen.

Perhaps it was after a kiss.

Mike

Old 12-04-2013, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Just don't let her kiss it.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Yes, the result can be a 5 feet tall musical genius formerly known as......

Baz
Old 12-04-2013, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-11 15:18:17 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in :

[...]

I haven't. Does the author post here? :-)

No. She's the owner of Veddw, which has often been mentioned here. Anne
Wareham. Her husband is a garden photographer, Charles Hawes and the
garden is on the outskirts of Chepstow.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-04-2013, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Was he Orange?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-04-2013, 08:53 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Oh yes. Faint breathlessness when tying shoelaces is my early warning to watch my intake
Quote:

b) you can fill lots of tubs of weeds, which gives a sense of
achievement
Quote:
Not without getting up and moving around a lot (unless you have a lot
of weeds in one place) which sort of defeats the object of seating as
you need to move the seat as well as your tub(s) and tools

Weeding, like dusting and vacuum cleaning, should only be done when there's sufficient accumulation for you to be abel to make a difference
Quote:

d) you meet frogs
Quote:
And have to get up to put them back into the pond before resident cat
comes out to play

No you don't!!! If they're out in the garden, it's because they're foraging, and the last thing they want is to be put back in the pond. They spend very little of their year in water.
I have thick masses of alpine strawberries, and these are often full of year old frogs, about an inch long.
Quote:

e) you come across lots of interesting self-seedings - the trickier the
plant, the more likely it is that you will come across a self seeding in
a really awkward place.
Quote:
All I would come across is a load of Himalayan balsam seedlings.

Oh, you have my sympathy. Fortunately, that's never made it as far as my garden. But I have quite a few cyclamen seedlings in gravel paths, not to mention all the lavender seedlings, primroses and cowslips - really I should carefully dig them up and move them to somewhere more suitable, but I don't.
Old 13-04-2013, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/04/2013 08:45, Martin wrote:
An hour ago a frog followed my wife from the garden into the kitchen.

Was he Orange?

No just, green with envy.

Maybe it was a Prince in disguise.

--