Old 15-04-2013, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Skimmia woes

Look at this poor skimmia in my garden
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink
Looks like three separate plants but it's all one plant. The right hand
branch has some yellowish leaves and some rather blotchy. Leaves on the
middle section have a nice reddish flush but are a bit limp. The left hand
side is dried and limp but not dead.
Soil is fairly neutral and the plant is in medium shade.
What's wrong?
R. :-(

Old 15-04-2013, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-15 13:33:49 +0100, Ragnar said:

Look at this poor skimmia in my garden
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink

Looks like three separate plants but it's all one plant. The right hand
branch has some yellowish leaves and some rather blotchy. Leaves on the
middle section have a nice reddish flush but are a bit limp. The left
hand side is dried and limp but not dead.
Soil is fairly neutral and the plant is in medium shade.
What's wrong?
R. :-(

I don't know how old yours is but it looks quite young. In older
plants, it seems to be something that happens to Skimmia after a few
years. It's not invariable but I have noticed it happen to a few. But
has it been dried out (unlikely, given the recent weather!) and has the
soil been trampled so as to damage the roots, perhaps? Is it possible
something had burrowed under the roots or that it's been caught by weed
killer spray drift?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-04-2013, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-15 13:33:49 +0100, Ragnar said:

[...]

Thank you Sacha. Not particularly young but not old either. It has had
similar problems for three years now. I am suspicious that Phytophthora may
have got into the garden but Skimmia is not reported as particularly
vulnerable.
R.

Old 15-04-2013, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-15 13:33:49 +0100, Ragnar said:

[...]

On top of all this we do have to remember that plants, like people, are
not always 'good doers'! It's always hoped that both will be but
sometimes, it doesn't work out that way and nobody is to blame. If I'd
had that for 3 years, I think I'd take it out and try something else,
checking first that the soil there is good and fertile, well-drained
etc. But do check on spray drift, too. If you haven't done so, I'm
inclined to say dig down a few feet and see what's below.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com