Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2013, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Basic bed maintenance ??

New gardener here - please go easy on me. We into a home a couple of years ago with a 1/4 acre landscaped lot, with a number of garden beds mostly with perennials, some evergreens, rhodos, bamboo - quite an assortment.

For the last two years all we have done is prune, fertilize and add leaf mulch to the bed tops. We are unsure whether the hoe/turn-over the beds or not. Around each plant there are obviously some shallow root systems and wonder whether we should even bother with this. Is it recommended to turn over the first few inches each year in these non-vegetable perennial beds or not?

Help appreciated...

Larry