Old 25-05-2013, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Beautiful week end!

Here's hoping everyone gets one! The sun is shining, the birds are
singing and all is well in the South Hams! The scent of honeysuckle
through our bedroom window this morning was exquisite, the Akebia
quinata alba is still stunning everyone with its perfume, Rose Gertrude
Jekyll is flowering, as is another little pink climber we've forgotten
the name of and the Rhododendron Lady Alice Fitzwilliam would knock you
out with the perfume! It's absolute bliss to walk around the garden at
present and see everything pushing each other out of the way to get on
with growing and flowering busily!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-05-2013, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/05/2013 09:20, Sacha wrote:
Here's hoping everyone gets one! The sun is shining, the birds are
singing and all is well in the South Hams! The scent of honeysuckle
through our bedroom window this morning was exquisite, the Akebia
quinata alba is still stunning everyone with its perfume, Rose Gertrude
Jekyll is flowering, as is another little pink climber we've forgotten
the name of and the Rhododendron Lady Alice Fitzwilliam would knock you
out with the perfume! It's absolute bliss to walk around the garden at
present and see everything pushing each other out of the way to get on
with growing and flowering busily!

Nice here as well, the full moon is now passed and the lilac is in
flower so in a couple of days time it will be planting out time.
You must have an early honey suckle Sacha. Mine which I raised from seed
many years ago wont flower for a few weeks yet, but once it flowers it
will keep on flowering on and off till late summer, though I have had
flowers on it into October.
David @ a strangely wind free and sunny side of Swansea Bay.
Old 25-05-2013, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-25 10:09:59 +0100, David Hill said:

[...]

I don't know which honeysuckle it is, David but nothing exotically
wonderful. Probably just L. halliana! But it is on a south facing wall,
on the front of the house, so it gets every bit of sun and warmth there
is. Do you have the name of yours because it sounds good 'garden
value'?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-05-2013, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

I don't know which honeysuckle it is, David but nothing exotically
wonderful. Probably just L. halliana! But it is on a south facing wall,
on the front of the house, so it gets every bit of sun and warmth there
is. Do you have the name of yours because it sounds good 'garden
value'?

My x brownii are almost out. I am going to have to scrap my
etrusca, which I grew from Cretan seed, unfortunately. It just
can't handle British aphids and I have difficulty in getting
any flowers. After 5-10 years of no good years, enough is
enough.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-05-2013, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
Yes, sometimes you just have to grow what you can grow, fun though it is to
push the envelope at times! We have 3 Wisterias growing as standards on
the main lawn and one is just hopeless. It comes into leaf long before the
flowers show and flowers poorly anyway. Ray keeps saying 'give it a
chance' but as far as I'm concerned, it's had 3 or 4 years, so that's it.
Out! We had another on the house wall (planted long before Ray came here)
and it did just the same, so it's had to go.

It's funny how some Wisteria do that, it detracts so much from the effect.
Ours covering our S facing wall always flowers before the leaves and has
been stunning this year. A neighbour who bought one for the same position on
her house had no flowers at all but in her case I think it's too much
pruning after years of no where near enough so it will be my fault. Mind you
hers does have some decades to go to reach the age of ours and it's a
grafted plant too.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 25-05-2013, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 25 May 2013 13:02:44 +0200, Martin wrote:

I haven't seen any aphids this year.

Saw the first green one last weekend and there are oodles of them
around this morning.
--
rbel
Old 25-05-2013, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-25 13:11:12 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote
[...]

The one at the top of the Magnolia delavayi is in full bloom but as
Charlie explained, it's been allowed to do its own thing and has
reached optimum height so simply flowers wonderfully and at will! One
of those on the lawn - the longest established - is just breaking now
and is covered in blooms, the second is just about to go but has just a
very few leaves breaking and the third is the rogue with literally one
raceme.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-05-2013, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-25 13:11:12 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote
[...]

I seem to remember being taught that Wisteria could take 10 or more
years to start to flower properly

Old 25-05-2013, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Sat, 25 May 2013 09:20:46 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Here's hoping everyone gets one! The sun is shining, the birds are
singing and all is well in the South Hams! The scent of honeysuckle
through our bedroom window this morning was exquisite, the Akebia
quinata alba is still stunning everyone with its perfume, Rose Gertrude
Jekyll is flowering, as is another little pink climber we've forgotten
the name of and the Rhododendron Lady Alice Fitzwilliam would knock you
out with the perfume! It's absolute bliss to walk around the garden at
present and see everything pushing each other out of the way to get on
with growing and flowering busily!

It's cold 10C overcast, there's a continuous noise of a diesel pump
and a strong smell of sewage in the air. The whole of our road is up
including pavements so that they can replace the main sewer pipe.

Oh! How I miss that sound and odour. Had that before! A horrible, rotten
experience........Yuk. I hated that just as much as you do. Been there.

Baz
Old 25-05-2013, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-25 13:11:12 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote
[...]

Doesn't that depend on the grafted or non-grafted thing?
--

Sacha
South Devon

Old 26-05-2013, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/05/2013 09:54, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 25 May 2013 18:52:02 GMT, Baz wrote:

Sacha wrote in :

Here's hoping everyone gets one! The sun is shining, the birds are
singing and all is well in the South Hams! The scent of honeysuckle
through our bedroom window this morning was exquisite, the Akebia
quinata alba is still stunning everyone with its perfume, Rose Gertrude
Jekyll is flowering, as is another little pink climber we've forgotten
the name of and the Rhododendron Lady Alice Fitzwilliam would knock you
out with the perfume! It's absolute bliss to walk around the garden at
present and see everything pushing each other out of the way to get on
with growing and flowering busily!

Nice here too.

Lucky you! It's absolutely disgusting here - another gale, torrential
rain and cold.

Here in South Wales it's a lovely summers morning, blue sky, bright
sunshine, and a load of work waiting to be done. after I've finished my
mug of tea.
Old 26-05-2013, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-25 13:11:12 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote
[...]

My wife cut back our two wisteria. I should never have bought her new
secateurs fir Xmas. The wisteria that had two flowers last year has no
flowers this year. The wisteria, which had almost reached the eaves,
but had no flowers last year has four flowers this year. She also cut
back my 40 year old grape vine. It died.

I used to have someone who helped in the garden who was "Sweeney Todd"
to me! I couldn't turn my back on any new, baby shrub without him
lopping a third off it! He killed an Aloysia triphylla by doing that
just before a cold winter and he took several inches out of newly
planted Eucalyptus hedge plants and set it back by about 2 years! We
sometimes get customers buying a new shrub whose first question is
"when can I cut it back?"
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-05-2013, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in :

Here's hoping everyone gets one! The sun is shining, the birds are
singing and all is well in the South Hams! The scent of honeysuckle
through our bedroom window this morning was exquisite, the Akebia
quinata alba is still stunning everyone with its perfume, Rose Gertrude
Jekyll is flowering, as is another little pink climber we've forgotten
the name of and the Rhododendron Lady Alice Fitzwilliam would knock you
out with the perfume! It's absolute bliss to walk around the garden at
present and see everything pushing each other out of the way to get on
with growing and flowering busily!

Nice here too.

Lucky you! It's absolutely disgusting here - another gale, torrential
rain and cold.

Honestly, in your shoes, I think I'd move!! It's another gorgeous day
here and that chilly wind has dropped for now, though it's still in the
north. The sun is blazing down and there isn't a cloud to be seen, the
staff are having coffe-break and (touching wood) it's heaven in Devon
today!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com