Old 01-06-2013, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Id please

On 01/06/2013 13:36, David Hill wrote:
It seems that all aquilegias look good whereever they seed themselves,
perhaps because they're so dainty and have a natural appeal.

I can keenly recommend sowing seed of some of the yellow long-spurred
ones. They have a special beauty, in or out of shade. I'm growing as
many as I can - not least because my neighbours and friends have fallen
in love with them.

Another close relative is Semiaquilegia, smaller and mire dainty, good
for the rockery and front of border.
http://www.perennials.com/plants/sem...calcarata.html
David @ a mainly sunny side of Swansea Bay

Yes, I have one of those, just about the same colour as in your link.
Lovely.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 01-06-2013, 11:05 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_10_] View Post

I really like things plonking themselves wherever they wish. If
they're a real nuisance, they're usually easily plucked out if caught
quickly. The foxgloves that decide where they're going to go, joined by
the Aquilegias, the Alchemilla mollis, the Welsh poppies etc. do give a
relaxed charm to the garden which is my personal preference.
-
I'd agree with all of that ... except the Alchemilla, which in this garden has a nuisance value alongside that of Herb Bennet and lesser celandine.

Another charming self seeder is Malva moschata, especially the white one - long flowering season and attractive dissected foliage.