Old 07-06-2013, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Source of frost free pottery tubs

I am looking for a selection of these, apart from the local garden
centres is there a good source (on line would be fine) of these? I lost
half a dozen of mine to frost this Winter!
Old 07-06-2013, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/06/2013 07:16, Broadback wrote:
I am looking for a selection of these, apart from the local garden
centres is there a good source (on line would be fine) of these? I lost
half a dozen of mine to frost this Winter!

What do you mean by "frost free"?

What you should be looking for are "frostproof" tubs. Ignore anything
which uses the meaningless term "frost resistant". Unfortunately, IME
at least 90% of tubs are described as "frost resistant".

--

Jeff
Old 07-06-2013, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/06/2013 07:16, Broadback wrote:
I am looking for a selection of these, apart from the local garden
centres is there a good source (on line would be fine) of these? I lost
half a dozen of mine to frost this Winter!

You don't want "frost free" ones then. They would be large containers
intended to be used in "frost free" greenhouses or outside in mild dry
winter Mediterranean climates where frosts are rare and even if they do
occur everything is bone dry so no spalling damage can occur.

You want high baked "frost proof" or plastic containers that are
impervious to water and frost damage for outside in the UK. They still
don't last forever as they occasionally fall over in the wind and break.

Pottery ones these days never seem to be truly frost proof for me and
last five years outdoors at most before flaking apart. The high glazed
thick chunky ones last best of all but are more expensive.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 07-06-2013, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 07:16:14 +0100, Broadback wrote:

I am looking for a selection of these, ...

Frost Free? Presumably you mean frost proof, try:

http://erringtonreay.com

Hand thrown, salt glazed pots, with 10 year guarantee. The above has
a better overview of the company and products than:

http://www.erringtonreay.co.uk/

Which has the online shop. £60+ for free delivery. The pots ain't
cheap so £60 is easy to achieve... B-)

The pottery is at Bardon Mill on the A69 between Haydon Bridge and
Haltwhistle.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

I am looking for a selection of these, apart from the local garden
centres is there a good source (on line would be fine) of these? I lost
half a dozen of mine to frost this Winter!

Look for a salt glaze one, mine has survived very cold winters undamaged for
30+ years (unprotected on mainland Scotland).

Janet

Old 09-06-2013, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/06/2013 07:16, Broadback wrote:
I am looking for a selection of these, apart from the local garden
centres is there a good source (on line would be fine) of these? I lost
half a dozen of mine to frost this Winter!

The Yorkshire Flowerpots are (allegedly) frostproof to -15c. There
ought to be a supplier close to you.

http://www.naylor.co.uk/wp-content/u...are2013PDF.pdf

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Free Website, Free Domain, Free Installation, Free Scripts hostnomi United Kingdom 0 25-03-2008 08:11 AM
Tokoname Pottery Lou Catalano Bonsai 0 01-02-2005 01:17 AM
[IBC] Learning Bonsai Pottery Hung Le Bonsai 1 27-05-2003 10:08 AM
[IBC] Bonsai Pottery FAQ - Help Needed John T. Jarrett Bonsai 0 10-03-2003 11:46 PM
[IBC] Fw: kilns in japan, from a Japan-studied pottery professional. dalecochoy Bonsai 1 10-02-2003 05:26 PM