Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2013, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Aquilegia puzzle

I was sitting having a break from weeding (with a lovely cup of tea) when I started to
notice that the Aquilegias have some flowers with 'horned' petals and others where the
horns never emerge and are completely covered with the 5 back petals.

When these latter ones are beginning to open, they resemble small Fratillaria flowers.
What could be the purpose for this difference? They are on the same plant and even the
same stem.

A second question (bear with me, please). Are those flowers with whorls of bright yellow
stamens, male and the ones with cone shaped clusters of none yellow oval 'bits' on stalks,
female? This is unrelated to the first query and does not fit in with the shape of the
flowers.

Sorry it is a bit scientific but there are some very knowledgeable people in this group.

Thanks,
Kath

Aquilegia Seeds Stewart Robert Hinsley United Kingdom 3 26-06-2004 11:48 AM
Caterpillars on Aquilegia John Rouse United Kingdom 1 14-05-2004 11:07 PM
Aquilegia dividing? Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 2 26-04-2004 01:04 PM
Aquilegia Seed vsop United Kingdom 5 21-06-2003 02:44 PM
Aquilegia munchers Barry & Iris McCanna United Kingdom 6 23-04-2003 04:11 PM