Old 18-06-2013, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Simple things to add nutrients

Have a plant which i keep in water in a vase and change the water every
week. Its been happy like that for a long time. The roots are like onion
roots thick white strands.

Recently the leaves are becoming a bit pale, so I guess its short of a
nutrient or two.

A long time ago i heard that putting a copper coin in the water helps to
provide nutrients. True or not i don't know.

Are there any other simple things you know of, that i could put in the water
that would provide nutrients and still allow to me to change the water
easily each week? Thanks.

Old 19-06-2013, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:24:47 PM UTC+1, Jim Stone wrote:

Have a plant which i keep in water in a vase and change the water every
week. Its been happy like that for a long time. The roots are like onion
roots thick white strands.
Recently the leaves are becoming a bit pale, so I guess its short of a
nutrient or two.
A long time ago i heard that putting a copper coin in the water helps to
provide nutrients. True or not i don't know.

Copper isnt a useful nutrient for plants

Are there any other simple things you know of, that i could put in the water
that would provide nutrients and still allow to me to change the water
easily each week? Thanks.

plant food, compost.

NT
Old 19-06-2013, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:24:47 PM UTC+1, Jim Stone wrote:

Have a plant which i keep in water in a vase and change the water every
week. Its been happy like that for a long time. The roots are like onion
roots thick white strands.
Recently the leaves are becoming a bit pale, so I guess its short of a
nutrient or two.
A long time ago i heard that putting a copper coin in the water helps to
provide nutrients. True or not i don't know.

Copper isnt a useful nutrient for plants

Are there any other simple things you know of, that i could put in the
water
that would provide nutrients and still allow to me to change the water
easily each week? Thanks.

plant food, compost.
NT

----------------------------------------------------------------------Thanks.
I should have explained more carefully about when i said: allow me to change
the water *easily*. Since i put in fresh water every week, it would mean
messing about with adding new food or more compost each week.

I thought if there was some form of solid type nutrient with a slow release,
i could just tip away the water and then leave the nutrient items in the
vase and just replace the water, without it being a messy business. Thanks.

Old 19-06-2013, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 22:24:47 +0100, "Jim Stone"
wrote:

Are there any other simple things you know of, that i could put in the water
that would provide nutrients and still allow to me to change the water
easily each week? Thanks.

Stir some soil into the fresh water and let it settle to the bottom
before you use it.

Steve

Old 19-06-2013, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , lid says...

wrote in message
[...]

Just get some liquid houseplant food, sold for the purpose and add a
few drops as directed when changing water. You should be able to buy it
in any shed, GC or some supermarkets.

Janet

Old 19-06-2013, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/06/2013 22:24, Jim Stone wrote:
Have a plant which i keep in water in a vase and change the water every
week. Its been happy like that for a long time. The roots are like onion
roots thick white strands.

Recently the leaves are becoming a bit pale, so I guess its short of a
nutrient or two.

A long time ago i heard that putting a copper coin in the water helps to
provide nutrients. True or not i don't know.

Are there any other simple things you know of, that i could put in the water
that would provide nutrients and still allow to me to change the water
easily each week? Thanks.

Forget about things like soil, compost or even slow release pellets.
Get a liquid feed and just add a couple of drops to each pint of water
you use, remember the roots are in it all the time unlike pot plants
where the feed is "Diluted" by the compost.
At the end of the week you can tip the water onto any other plants you
may have growing in compost or soil, that way you wont be wasting any feed.
Remember if the feed is to strong you can easily kill the plant.
David @ what has been a sunny side of Swansea Bay this morning.

Old 19-06-2013, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:31:59 AM UTC+1, Jim Stone wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Plant food & compost are the only realistic options.
Old 19-06-2013, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 13:21:11 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

Remember if the feed is to strong you can easily kill the plant.

Which is exactly why I suggested using soil rather than a liquid feed.

Steve

Old 19-06-2013, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/06/2013 22:24, Jim Stone wrote:
Have a plant which i keep in water in a vase and change the water every
week. Its been happy like that for a long time. The roots are like onion
roots thick white strands.

Recently the leaves are becoming a bit pale, so I guess its short of a
nutrient or two.

Amazing that it has lasted this long given your ill treatment of it!

A long time ago i heard that putting a copper coin in the water helps to
provide nutrients. True or not i don't know.

False. A real copper coin might even help kill the plant by disabling
enzymes that protect woody stems from fungal rot.

Are there any other simple things you know of, that i could put in the water
that would provide nutrients and still allow to me to change the water
easily each week? Thanks.

Phostrogen or similar water clear soluble plant food.
Baby bio if they still sell it although that is slightly darker.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 19-06-2013, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Remember if the feed is to strong you can easily kill the plant.

Which is exactly why I suggested using soil rather than a liquid feed.

Steve

Which defeats the point of growing it in water.

Old 19-06-2013, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 15:54:50 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

[...]

Have I missed something or is nobody else curious, as I am, as to what
this plant is, and why it is grown in water and not in the
conventional way?

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-06-2013, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Watercress, celery or hyacinths would be obvious candidates...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 20-06-2013, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

This is the plant:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ajynnr&s=6

we dont know what it is. it was given to us in water and when we tried to
put some in soil it was not happy.

Old 20-06-2013, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Reineckia carnea. And it certainly grows in the ground. One of our
nursery staff has it planted round an Aralia in her garden. It likes a
shady spot but is okay in full sun if the soil is moist. It's in the
same family as lily of the valley. I have a feeling we had a question
about this on here a while back.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-06-2013, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Here we go again!
I have a strange feeling of Déjà vu.
We dealt with this at length last year.
The plant is Reineckea carnea
David @ a misty and damp side of Swansea Bay

Simple things that make gardening easier/fun Bill who putters Gardening 33 17-02-2010 11:11 AM
Things are happening-things are quiet spakker United Kingdom 17 07-06-2005 01:05 AM
Keep Things Simple!!! Ponds 4 17-05-2004 04:07 PM
is my carbon insert removing nutrients I'm trying to add? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
is my carbon insert removing nutrients I'm trying to add? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-03-2003 03:32 AM