Old 13-02-2010, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Simple things that make gardening easier/fun

Wonder if you folks found something that resonates with the subject.

I had trouble for many years ( Don't ask ) with wheelbarrow tires going
flat due to cold weather. I finally found this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H9NVCW/ref=wms_ohs_product

And now I can wonder if I should purcase a snow rake for my roof.
Always some thing.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 13-02-2010, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

Wonder if you folks found something that resonates with the subject.

I had trouble for many years ( Don't ask ) with wheelbarrow tires going
flat due to cold weather. I finally found this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H9NVCW/ref=wms_ohs_product

And now I can wonder if I should purcase a snow rake for my roof.
Always some thing.

Bill

Almost a new topic but now just a tickle.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...=Qyh3S4u-NYub8
Aan-bipCg&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0C AYQBSgA&q=night+soi
l&spell=1

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 14-02-2010, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

Wonder if you folks found something that resonates with the subject.

I had trouble for many years ( Don't ask ) with wheelbarrow tires going
flat due to cold weather. I finally found this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H9NVCW/ref=wms_ohs_product

And now I can wonder if I should purcase a snow rake for my roof.

Is this some kid of fashion statement? What's a snow rake supposed to do
up there? If you're going to take it up there, be sure to attach a
brightly colored rope to your door knob, and tie the other end around
your waist, so that anyone who is concerned by your absence will be able
to find you;O)

Snow? That's that white cottony kind of stuff we put on our Christmas
tree, isn't it? (Wildbilly, N. California)
Always some thing.

Bill

Almost a new topic but now just a tickle.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...=Qyh3S4u-NYub8
Aan-bipCg&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0C AYQBSgA&q=night+soi
l&spell=1

Knightsoil would be ever so much classier.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...ting_activists
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/headlines
Old 14-02-2010, 04:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

Many times you will do more harm to the shingles on your roof by trying
to remove the snow than just leaving it there. My neighbor removed the
snow from his roof a couple of years ago to find his roof leaked come
spring which involved a roof repair. It may be a different story if you
have a weak roof with three feet of snow on it. Then you better get it
off and fast. A roof repair come spring is better than no roof at
all.........LOL

Rich

Old 14-02-2010, 07:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
Wonder if you folks found something that resonates with the subject.

I had trouble for many years ( Don't ask ) with wheelbarrow tires going
flat due to cold weather.

About 35 years ago, when we were both young and gorgeous but more
impoverished than we are now, we bought a cheap wheelbarrow that ahd a solid
wheel. We still own that wheelbarrow and have never owned another one.

It never occurred to us that wheel barrow tyres went flat until a friend of
ours was whinging about how often her tyre was flat and how often she was
unable to use the wheelbarrow - a novel concept to us since our barrow has
always been available to use.

Last year I wanted to buy a wheelbarrow for the son-in-law so went looking
for a wheelbarrow with a solid tyre - no such thing could be found in any
nursery or harware shop or in any of the catalogues in these places.

Old 14-02-2010, 12:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 23:32:12 -0500, (EVP MAN)
wrote:

Many times you will do more harm to the shingles on your roof by trying
to remove the snow than just leaving it there. My neighbor removed the
snow from his roof a couple of years ago to find his roof leaked come
spring which involved a roof repair. It may be a different story if you
have a weak roof with three feet of snow on it. Then you better get it
off and fast. A roof repair come spring is better than no roof at
all.........LOL

Rich

I have my wheelbarrow some 25 years, has an ordinary tube type tire.
Only once like ten years ago I needed to replace the tube, dry rot,
cost $4, done in under an hour. I own one wheelbarrow, my finish
mower has four tube type tires, I have two garden wagons (another 8
tube type tires, and a large Agrifab dump cart, 2 more tube tires.
That makes a total of 15 wheels. I've found that keeping the valve
stems capped is important. Very occasionally a stem valve leaks, from
seal rot and/or dirt under the seal... new valves/caps are cheap and
install in under a minute. Keeping the wheel bearings properly lubed
is very important, if your wheel has no grease zirks they are easy to
install, only high pressure grease works, oil does more harm than
good. Keep tires properly inflated, a $10 hand operated bicycle tire
pump and a $4 tire air guage does the job. Those solid wheels are
mounted on two piece (glued together) plastic rims, eventually they
will separate.... one of my carts came with plastic rims, they were
recalled. Those solid wheels cost like $40 each... 15 of them would
be a $600 investment for me... and they are one size fits all, not
properly configured for each implement. BTW, one can buy a whole new
quality homeowner/gardener size wheelbarrow for like $40... nobody
needs/wants a contractors wheelbarrow for gardening:
http://tinyurl.com/yhcofc8

http://www.lowes.com/pd_135144-302-S...tt=wheelbarrow
&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=wheelbarrow$y=12$x=23
Old 14-02-2010, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:52:28 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from "FarmI" ask@itshall be given contains these words:

[...]

Builders merchants (real ones, not DIY sheds) sell much more robust ones.

Janet

Contractor wheelbarrows are much too heavy and cumbersome for
gardening and under load don't roll easily over earth (tradesmen
typically lay down heavy wooden planks for wheelbarrow paths) so
they're virtually useless in and about a garden. For moving bulky and
light weight items (tools, mulch, etc.) that a typical gardener would
a lightweight wheelbarrow or a four wheeled garden cart is far more
suitable. Contractor wheelbarrows are even too heavy for most folks
when empty. For gardening a 4 cu ft barrow is plenty big enough and
one with a plastic tray is even better, easier to clean and no rust.
Important safety hint; never leave a wheelbarrow unattended with small
children about, wheelbarrows by nature are very unstrable, even an
empty one can crush a child, let alone one filled with earth. And
never EVER leave any wheelbarrow standing on it's wheel and front lip,
it can tip, trap a small child, pet, wild animal. A weelbarrow is not
a toy, not something to permit children to play with... there are
child's wheelbarrows at toys r us.

Old 14-02-2010, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/13/2010 8:38 PM, Wildbilly wrote:
And now I can wonder if I should purcase a snow rake for my roof.
Is this some kid of fashion statement? What's a snow rake supposed to do
up there? If you're going to take it up there, be sure to attach a
brightly colored rope to your door knob, and tie the other end around
your waist, so that anyone who is concerned by your absence will be able
to find you;O)

Snow? That's that white cottony kind of stuff we put on our Christmas
tree, isn't it? (Wildbilly, N. California)

My roof is calving icebergs onto the deck. Unsafe for wife to fill bird
feeder. Where's algore when you need him?
Old 14-02-2010, 06:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Frank wrote:

My roof is calving icebergs onto the deck. Unsafe for wife to fill bird
feeder.

You need to properly insulate your attic... probably no insulation at
the perimeter.
Old 14-02-2010, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/14/2010 1:47 PM, brooklyn1 wrote:
Frank wrote:

My roof is calving icebergs onto the deck. Unsafe for wife to fill bird
feeder.

You need to properly insulate your attic... probably no insulation at
the perimeter.

No it has something to do with the downspouts being frozen and snow
melting and refreezing on the roof.

Old 14-02-2010, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Frank wrote:

My roof is calving icebergs onto the deck. Unsafe for wife to fill bird
feeder.

You need to properly insulate your attic... probably no insulation at
the perimeter.

No it has something to do with the downspouts being frozen and snow
melting and refreezing on the roof.

I've got the same issue Frank but just a lot of small icebergs. My
house is insulated for electric heat. Great except moisture can be
trapped and rot of facia can occur and has.
My concern is the slope of our home is not too steep and a few feet of
snow is heavy. The rake I saw had wheels and was designed to gently
take off some snow from the ground. The pole was about 20-25 feet long
so it required no roof traverse .
Things are dripping real good and the water remains outside with temps
of about 40 f. Forecast is for a couple more inches tomorrow.
I've never seed my garden smashed down like this in 35 years. Bamboo
to Kerria Japonica now under snow. Luckily the larger Japanese maples
were just pruned by the ice. Our street is covered and one car wide but
power stayed on so we are fortunate.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Big may be better but small can be beautiful.

Old 14-02-2010, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Frank wrote:

My roof is calving icebergs onto the deck. Unsafe for wife to fill bird
feeder.

You need to properly insulate your attic... probably no insulation at
the perimeter.

No it has something to do with the downspouts being frozen and snow
melting and refreezing on the roof.

Downspouts are below the gutters. Ice dams in the gutters can cause
water to back up into the soffit where it can freeze and destroy your
roof and eaves. You'd be wise to clear your gutters and downspouts
before winter and check often during warm weather. Often gutters and
spouts are too small to handle the water volume. Ice and icicles form
from loss of heat from your house into your attic/eaves... snow melts
when sunny and freezes at night, check for insulation, and for proper
air circulation too. Do not let this pass, once water begins to run
down inside your walls the damage can be horrendously expensive to
repair, can even fracture your entire foundation. Your homeowners
insurance will not cover water damage from neglect.
Old 14-02-2010, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/14/2010 3:07 PM, Bill who putters wrote:

Frank wrote:

[...]

About the same here. The icy side is exposed to afternoon sun but would
be too high to reach even with a 20 ft. rake as we live on a sloping lot
and 2nd story is like a third story. Roof is fairly steep and I don't
expect damage. Just never saw so much ice. Couple of white pines have
lost large branches due to weight of snow and I think I'll have them
removed in the spring. We're probably getting the same snow storm
tomorrow. Glad a bought a snow thrower a few years ago. It's getting a
workout.
Old 15-02-2010, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

A whole lot of opinion stated as fact. What nonsense!

Who on earth buys a wheelbarrow for carrying a few garden tools. They are for
dirt, sand, cement, firewood, rocks, cinderblocks, etc. all of which are hauled
better in a good heavy duty wheelbarrow. My first wheelbarrow was a cheap
plastic tub unit. It was useless. So floppy, it couldn't carry a load stably.

The baby unit you suggest would take forever to do any real work.

I picked up one on a curb with a free sign that had a solid tire. It really is
nice to have a heavy duty unit that never needs to be refilled before use.

Old 15-02-2010, 02:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
[...]

True, they are sturdy but unfortunately every single one of the barrows
available in any supplier has pump up tyres.