Old 12-05-2004, 06:11 PM

Default Keep Things Simple!!!

Hi, The things that I do for my two ponds works for me...has for over 10
years. I have been involved with aquariums since 1971. Sometimes on a
large scale(fish room and breeding many common and rare killifish etc...) I
have always kept things simple with them including my ponds. I don't
personally believe in going out and buying every gimmick and gadget that
comes out on the market for our hobby. Some things I do may raise an
eyebrow...but they are methods I use after researching things thoroughly.
I use good home built bio/mechanical filters. I have the 10 original fish
that I started with that are huge ,plus a large assortment of offspring. I
do the least amount of work possible. I keep things simple. I have never
had disease and have only lost a couple of fish over the past years due to
winter stress. I have never vacuumed this pond.Never used any chemicals or
additives. I never check water PH. I DO make water changes about every
other week of about 20 percent. Unless we have had allot of rain. I keep
things simple. It is a POND. Not a indoor aquarium. I stay away from all the
gimmicks out there ....just one more thing to spend money on that's not
needed. I have used floating catfish food exclusively(about 18 cents per
pound or less). I do supplement there diet with extra Water Parsley from the
bio filters. The Missouri Botanical Gardens in St. Louis have used "Krazy
Cat" catfish chow for years for their large koi and their fish biologist
said they have never experienced any ill effects from it. Thanks MIKE

Old 13-05-2004, 06:08 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Hi Mike,

We are also catfish-food-koi-feeders. I understand from ng folk that know
nutrition that it is not great for the koi fat levels. Some people commented
on some probable reduction in life span as a result. Catfish food is
designed to promote rapid growth of young fish rather than long-term
nutrition for adult fish. The koi cost us $3.95 each, a 20 year reduction
in their 100 yr life cycle is not a great threat! On that basis, they might
die later than my yet-unborn grandchildren. Even 20 years of a 40 year life
would not be so bad...especially with free offspring. Our catfish food is
about the price you pay. Our per-50-lb-bag savings on food (as compared to
'proper' koi food, would replace several of koi per year. We buy two bags
per year. Our food it is cost effective. Also, koi are carp (!)
bottom-feeding scavengers. Floating catfish food is probably better than
what lots of European carp get.

On the simple side: We use a toilet float to top up the pond automatically
(it is shown on our website- below). Saves a lot of labor.

We don't do water changes as often as you do. Actually, we do about 15% on
about a 4 month cycle. Pond stats are holding fine. They pond is now 5
years old and thriving. KISS is a good formula!

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 15-05-2004, 07:05 AM
Mike Bernardoni

Hi, Good to hear from other "Keep It Simple Folks"!!! I was thinking
about the Fat content in the Catfish Chow when I wrote my first post. I
asked the biologist at the Missouri Botanical Gardens about this...he
said...BULL!! LOL He should know..they have the largest..healthiest
and HUGEST population of KOI in their KOI "Lake" in their several acre
Japanese Gardens...Like I said they use a brand called "Krazy Kat"I use
Rural Kings brand... Every seen 3 foot long+ Koi clammer over themselves
to get food...a site to behold...Remember...KEEP THINGS SIMPLE!! {:O)
MIKE

--
Grab your pig’s feet, bread, and gin,
there’s plenty in the kitchen.
Old 15-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

I wonder if there are some other folk in the ng who can get other opinions
from their wildlife folk. It would be interesting to hear.

Meanwhile, however, catfish food will dominiate our pond menu. Followed by
algae.

Old 17-05-2004, 04:07 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Keep things simple sure. But not everyone is as knowledgeable about what to
watch for, or can run on common sense. Some would call you lucky. I would
say, you have good fish raising instinct and good water. ;o)

The rest, if it don't work, fill out a sick fish/pond form, and we'll help
you out. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~