Old 21-06-2013, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rosemary Beetle

Although I have seen Rosemary Beetles on my Rosemary before, this is the
first year I've seen one on my English Lavender. Thus far, it doesn't
appear to have done any harm. Has anyone else noticed this change? Has
the RB extended its plant range?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 21-06-2013, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
Although I have seen Rosemary Beetles on my Rosemary before, this is
the first year I've seen one on my English Lavender. Thus far, it
doesn't appear to have done any harm. Has anyone else noticed this
change? Has the RB extended its plant range?

Apparently they will feed on other aromatic plants such as lavender and
thyme. Handsome little critters with those shiny stripes but I'd prefer
not to find them munching their way through half my herbs. :/

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=555

--
Sue

Old 21-06-2013, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/06/2013 15:48, Indigo wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
Although I have seen Rosemary Beetles on my Rosemary before, this is
the first year I've seen one on my English Lavender. Thus far, it
doesn't appear to have done any harm. Has anyone else noticed this
change? Has the RB extended its plant range?

Apparently they will feed on other aromatic plants such as lavender and
thyme. Handsome little critters with those shiny stripes but I'd prefer
not to find them munching their way through half my herbs. :/

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=555

Thanks, Sue. That's very helpful. Now I know they intend to munch,
I'll pick them off and squish them.

Old 22-06-2013, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
Although I have seen Rosemary Beetles on my Rosemary before, this is
the first year I've seen one on my English Lavender. Thus far, it
doesn't appear to have done any harm. Has anyone else noticed this
change? Has the RB extended its plant range?

Apparently they will feed on other aromatic plants such as lavender and
thyme. Handsome little critters with those shiny stripes but I'd prefer
not to find them munching their way through half my herbs. :/

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=555

I must say I'd never heard of them till this thread, and so far never
seen them
David @ a damp and windy side of Swansea bay.
Old 22-06-2013, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
Although I have seen Rosemary Beetles on my Rosemary before, this is
the first year I've seen one on my English Lavender. Thus far, it
doesn't appear to have done any harm. Has anyone else noticed this
change? Has the RB extended its plant range?

Apparently they will feed on other aromatic plants such as lavender and
thyme. Handsome little critters with those shiny stripes but I'd prefer
not to find them munching their way through half my herbs. :/

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=555

I must say I'd never heard of them till this thread, and so far never seen them
David @ a damp and windy side of Swansea bay.

Thank goodnes! I thought it was only me.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-06-2013, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
Although I have seen Rosemary Beetles on my Rosemary before, this is
the first year I've seen one on my English Lavender. Thus far, it
doesn't appear to have done any harm. Has anyone else noticed this
change? Has the RB extended its plant range?

Apparently they will feed on other aromatic plants such as lavender and
thyme. Handsome little critters with those shiny stripes but I'd prefer
not to find them munching their way through half my herbs. :/

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=555

I must say I'd never heard of them till this thread, and so far never
seen them
David @ a damp and windy side of Swansea bay.

They've been around a few years now. They're really pretty and it seems
a shame to kill them, but I really don't want them munching on my
lavender. I've tolerated them on my rosemary up till now since it's a
prostrate form which I tend not to use for cooking. Alas, that's
probably why they're starting to make themselves at home.

Old 22-06-2013, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
Although I have seen Rosemary Beetles on my Rosemary before, this is
the first year I've seen one on my English Lavender. Thus far, it
doesn't appear to have done any harm. Has anyone else noticed this
change? Has the RB extended its plant range?

Apparently they will feed on other aromatic plants such as lavender and
thyme. Handsome little critters with those shiny stripes but I'd prefer
not to find them munching their way through half my herbs. :/

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=555

I must say I'd never heard of them till this thread, and so far never
seen them
David @ a damp and windy side of Swansea bay.

Thank goodnes! I thought it was only me.

I've known about them for a while. We're not inundated by them, but I
don't want to encourage them on my lavender. Other than that, I've not
really worried about them before. However, if Ray propagates and sells
rosemary, we may want to look out for them, if he doesn't already.
I don't find them to be as destructive as Red Lily Beetle, so that's a
blessing.

Old 22-06-2013, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Threaded onto a fine silk they would make a nice necklace.
Old 22-06-2013, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Especially for a spider!

Old 22-06-2013, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Masses of rosemary grown and sold but no sign (so far) of The Beetle.
We haven't had the lily beetle either. Yet!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-06-2013, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Apparently they will feed on other aromatic plants such as lavender and
thyme. Handsome little critters with those shiny stripes but I'd prefer
not to find them munching their way through half my herbs. :/

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=555

I must say I'd never heard of them till this thread, and so far never seen them
David @ a damp and windy side of Swansea bay.

Thank goodnes! I thought it was only me.

I hadn't heard of asparagus beetle until recently.
Old 22-06-2013, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-22 14:31:29 +0100, said:

Sacha wrote:
Apparently they will feed on other aromatic plants such as lavender and
thyme. Handsome little critters with those shiny stripes but I'd prefer
not to find them munching their way through half my herbs. :/

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=555

I must say I'd never heard of them till this thread, and so far never seen them
David @ a damp and windy side of Swansea bay.

Thank goodnes! I thought it was only me.

I hadn't heard of asparagus beetle until recently.

Er.....
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-06-2013, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-22 14:31:29 +0100, said:

Sacha wrote:
Apparently they will feed on other aromatic plants such as lavender
and
thyme. Handsome little critters with those shiny stripes but I'd
prefer
not to find them munching their way through half my herbs. :/

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=555

I must say I'd never heard of them till this thread, and so far
never seen them
David @ a damp and windy side of Swansea bay.

Thank goodnes! I thought it was only me.

I hadn't heard of asparagus beetle until recently.

Er.....

Now I'm getting worried, the lily beetle decimates lilies, the Rosemary
beetle is hitting Rosemary plants,
What is the Stag beetle up to?
Old 22-06-2013, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Alas, we have. Squished! Not that I'm very precious about lillies. I
do love them, but they're cat killers so I can't take the risk with my
cats. My few lillies are in pots where the cats can't get to them.
However, I am precious about my Fritillarias, so I have to check them
when the Lily Beetle is about.

Old 22-06-2013, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-22 14:31:29 +0100, said:

Sacha wrote:
Apparently they will feed on other aromatic plants such as lavender
and
thyme. Handsome little critters with those shiny stripes but I'd
prefer
not to find them munching their way through half my herbs. :/

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=555

I must say I'd never heard of them till this thread, and so far
never seen them
David @ a damp and windy side of Swansea bay.

Thank goodnes! I thought it was only me.

I hadn't heard of asparagus beetle until recently.

Er.....

Now I'm getting worried, the lily beetle decimates lilies, the Rosemary
beetle is hitting Rosemary plants,
What is the Stag beetle up to?

Getting drunk at a stag night :~).