Old 22-06-2013, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Broad beans. Anybody near podding?

Baz wrote:
I've got my first couple of dwarf french beans ready to pick, though!

My grand daughters dwarf french beans are comming along nicely, not ready
to pick yet. Another week or so I hope. I am surprised at how fast they
have grown. She can't wait to pick them.
I will certainly grow some myself next year for an early crop.

I don't think it's normal to get such an early crop. They're susceptible
to frost. Although them being dwarf ones, they're handy for keeping in the
greenhouse.

I picked 2 today, both purple (Purple Queen or Purple Tepee - I mixed the
seeds so no idea which is which), but went and forgot to cook them!

Don't care. I have strawberries now. :-D
And picked what is probably my last batch of rhubarb this year.
Old 22-06-2013, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/06/2013 18:08, Baz wrote:
It might be 3 weeks for us yet.
But with this rain we had last night, it might be earlier. fingers crossed.

Baz

Every time I look at this thread I wonder is it
Podding in the Marsh
or
Podding on the Water
Old 22-06-2013, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message

"Baz" wrote in message
It might be 3 weeks for us yet.
But with this rain we had last night, it might be earlier. fingers
crossed.

yes. Earlier this week. Like Broadback, small, green and sweet.

Is this true Broadback?

Old 23-06-2013, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
I've got my first couple of dwarf french beans ready to pick,
though!

My grand daughters dwarf french beans are comming along nicely, not
ready to pick yet. Another week or so I hope. I am surprised at how
fast they have grown. She can't wait to pick them.
I will certainly grow some myself next year for an early crop.

I don't think it's normal to get such an early crop. They're
susceptible to frost. Although them being dwarf ones, they're handy
for keeping in the greenhouse.

I picked 2 today, both purple (Purple Queen or Purple Tepee - I mixed
the seeds so no idea which is which), but went and forgot to cook
them!

Don't care. I have strawberries now. :-D
And picked what is probably my last batch of rhubarb this year.

Yes, hers are purple too.
We have strawberries, just had the first ones. The rest will be ripe all
through summer hopefuly.
Rhubarb is ongoing. Have you over harvested? Normally pick up to October.

Baz
Old 23-06-2013, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
Yes, hers are purple too.

I wonder if the purple ones are earlier ripening than the rest. or if I just
happened to plant them out earlier. I may also have put them too near the bees.
I thought it was a good idea to surround the bee hive with the things that
needed polinating, but I got a memory drifting back that they don't like the
pollen to be /too/ near the hive ...

We have strawberries, just had the first ones. The rest will be ripe all
through summer hopefuly.

The ones on the allotment are going through a bit of a migration, as the giant
strawberry patch we inherited was in a bit of a mess, so we've kind of nuked
it and moved the plants to grow through weed blanket on nicer soil (they had
been in the same 1/4 plot sized patch for many years before we had them, and
the soil underneath was like sand - we probably could have resuced it with
feeding and constant weeding, but it was getting too much). Hence I'm not
expecting this year's crop on this patch to be great. But I also have some
on the flowerbed at home, which will be later (more shaded). We also had an
upright pallet that was doing well with them last year, but Nick moved it and
the panels he put in for shelves have collapsed (*sigh*) and he's not got
around to fixing it yet, so that isn't going quite as planned.

Rhubarb is ongoing. Have you over harvested? Normally pick up to October.

This came from a giant split up plant that we only planted where it now is,
umm, think it was last spring. So they've actually done an awful lot better
than they really had to for a first full year's growth. I could probably
take more if I wanted, but it's looking a bit sad, so I think it's time to
give it a rest.

Old 23-06-2013, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in
:

On 21/06/2013 18:08, Baz wrote:
It might be 3 weeks for us yet.
But with this rain we had last night, it might be earlier. fingers
crossed.

Baz

Every time I look at this thread I wonder is it
Podding in the Marsh
or
Podding on the Water

What does this mean? Sorry, but I can't fathom it.

Baz