Old 21-06-2013, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Broad beans. Anybody near podding?

It might be 3 weeks for us yet.
But with this rain we had last night, it might be earlier. fingers crossed.

Baz
Old 21-06-2013, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/06/2013 18:08, Baz wrote:
It might be 3 weeks for us yet.
But with this rain we had last night, it might be earlier. fingers crossed.

Baz

We love them when the pods are young and wee eat them pods and all.
Started on ours a week ago.
Old 21-06-2013, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote in
:

On 21/06/2013 18:08, Baz wrote:
It might be 3 weeks for us yet.
But with this rain we had last night, it might be earlier. fingers
crossed.

Baz

We love them when the pods are young and wee eat them pods and all.
Started on ours a week ago.

Thanks for that. I will put that in my diary.
Baz
Old 21-06-2013, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
It might be 3 weeks for us yet.
But with this rain we had last night, it might be earlier. fingers
crossed.

yes. Earlier this week. Like Broadback, small, green and sweet.
--
Pete C

Old 21-06-2013, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
It might be 3 weeks for us yet.
But with this rain we had last night, it might be earlier. fingers crossed.

I spotted the first tiny pods on the bottom of the first plant yesterday.
I'm no broad bean expert, I've only been growing them for 2 years, so I
have no idea how to convert that into time til cropping

Old 22-06-2013, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
It might be 3 weeks for us yet.
But with this rain we had last night, it might be earlier. fingers
crossed.

I spotted the first tiny pods on the bottom of the first plant
yesterday. I'm no broad bean expert, I've only been growing them for 2
years, so I have no idea how to convert that into time til cropping

They swell up very quickly at this time and with plenty of water. Mine
aren't much bigger than yours.

Good luck.
Baz
Old 22-06-2013, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote in
:

On 21/06/2013 18:08, Baz wrote:
It might be 3 weeks for us yet.
But with this rain we had last night, it might be earlier. fingers
crossed.

Baz

We love them when the pods are young and wee eat them pods and all.
Started on ours a week ago.

I picked a few last night and ate them as you describe, very nice indeed.
We will be having some more today, and tomorrow and...... Thanks.

Baz
Old 22-06-2013, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/06/2013 18:08, Baz wrote:
It might be 3 weeks for us yet.
But with this rain we had last night, it might be earlier. fingers crossed.

Baz

Can't stand the things, I don't like any seed bean.
But we used to grow them and pick when finger size, slice like runner
beans and cook them.
Edible, but a bit woolly
Old 22-06-2013, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Pete C wrote:

"Baz" wrote in message
It might be 3 weeks for us yet.
But with this rain we had last night, it might be earlier. fingers
crossed.

yes. Earlier this week. Like Broadback, small, green and sweet.

No. I am still picking the tops! But I planted late.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-06-2013, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Baz wrote:

No. I am still picking the tops! But I planted late.

Picking tops to eat? Or blackfly? Nick.

To eat, and to encourage set. Removing them makes no difference to
blackfly, as those merely target the pods.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-06-2013, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
I have sown some more this morning, as an experiment really to see how they
go. I always save too much seed so nothing to lose. I can dig them in as
green manure if all fails. I still have lots of seed.

I still have a set to plant (and a slot to plant them in)
Old 22-06-2013, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

I've got my first couple of dwarf french beans ready to pick, though!
Old 22-06-2013, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in news:b2ln1lFe5mrU2
@mid.individual.net:

I've got my first couple of dwarf french beans ready to pick, though!

My grand daughters dwarf french beans are comming along nicely, not ready
to pick yet. Another week or so I hope. I am surprised at how fast they
have grown. She can't wait to pick them.
I will certainly grow some myself next year for an early crop.

Baz