Old 01-07-2013, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The Iris have landed

Very exciting! My Iris from Cayeux arrived today and I've potted them
up and stood them out on the mypex for a while, all on Ray's
instructions! They are Cable Car, Caprice de Star, Devonshire Cream,
Joy de Rohan Chabot, Piste Noire, Williamette Mist and a freebie of
Queen's Circle.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-07-2013, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ...

Very exciting! My Iris from Cayeux arrived today and I've potted them up
and stood them out on the mypex for a while, all on Ray's instructions!
They are Cable Car, Caprice de Star, Devonshire Cream, Joy de Rohan Chabot,
Piste Noire, Williamette Mist and a freebie of Queen's Circle.

But have you sorted out where to plant them that is sunny and sufficiently
well drained in the winter?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/07/2013 18:02, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sacha" wrote ...

Very exciting! My Iris from Cayeux arrived today and I've potted them
up and stood them out on the mypex for a while, all on Ray's
instructions! They are Cable Car, Caprice de Star, Devonshire Cream,
Joy de Rohan Chabot, Piste Noire, Williamette Mist and a freebie of
Queen's Circle.

But have you sorted out where to plant them that is sunny and
sufficiently well drained in the winter?

Of course she hasn't ... she's still celebrating! :~)).

I love Irises, so I'm green with envy. I'll check the colours out on
Cayeaux's website later. We haven't had dinner yet; just crawled in
from the garden.
Enjoy.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 01-07-2013, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-01 18:02:35 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote ...

Very exciting! My Iris from Cayeux arrived today and I've potted them
up and stood them out on the mypex for a while, all on Ray's
instructions! They are Cable Car, Caprice de Star, Devonshire Cream,
Joy de Rohan Chabot, Piste Noire, Williamette Mist and a freebie of
Queen's Circle.

But have you sorted out where to plant them that is sunny and
sufficiently well drained in the winter?

We think so. We're back to the idea of the very narrow bed edging a
path and facing due south. It's had a lot of gritty stuff incorporated
into it and we're going to dig in some more. They'll go in there when
they've put on a bit of growth. In winter, I think I'll coddle them
with a bit of horti fleece though. I'm going to put 2 of the 7 in an
entirely different area, however, on a sloping bed at the back of the
big fishpond. This is where the one that you think is Sparkling
Burgundy (?) appeared without warning one year. It's full south facing
again and quite well drained. This is undoubtedly a bit experimental in
this winter-wet garden but I love Iris and am determined to keep trying!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-07-2013, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-01 19:15:56 +0100, Spider said:

On 01/07/2013 18:02, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sacha" wrote ...

Very exciting! My Iris from Cayeux arrived today and I've potted them
up and stood them out on the mypex for a while, all on Ray's
instructions! They are Cable Car, Caprice de Star, Devonshire Cream,
Joy de Rohan Chabot, Piste Noire, Williamette Mist and a freebie of
Queen's Circle.

But have you sorted out where to plant them that is sunny and
sufficiently well drained in the winter?

Of course she hasn't ... she's still celebrating! :~)).

I love Irises, so I'm green with envy. I'll check the colours out on
Cayeaux's website later. We haven't had dinner yet; just crawled in
from the garden.
Enjoy.

Thanks, Spider! We celebrated with some rosé, several jackdaws and
assorted others, including Oscar, outside in the evening sun. Bliss!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-07-2013, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote ...

[...]

What you always have to watch out for are slugs and snails in the spring
which will eat the very tender new shoots as they sprout from the rhizome
before you even notice they are sprouting. That is also the time to throw on
some Gromore fertilizer or similar to get them growing well and flowering.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-02 08:27:48 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote ...

[...]

Thanks, Bob. I'll note that and also tell The Boss. This has also
reminded me that we have a very pretty Iris japonica sitting in a large
pot somewhere, looking for a home. That's another decision we've got to
get around to. The days just race past!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-07-2013, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-02 10:48:03 +0100, Martin said:
snip

Did you ever plant your nashi pear tree? Our two are doing well. I had
the impression from sellers that they were difficult to grow. Next
year maybe the flowers will be pollinated, before gale blows the
flowers off the trees.

Yes. It's been planted near the Belles de Jersey pear trees but it had
very little blossom. As it's only a young tree, we didn't expect much
but it will be nice if we get even one pear off it for Ray to try!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-02 10:48:03 +0100, Martin said:
snip

Did you ever plant your nashi pear tree? Our two are doing well. I had
the impression from sellers that they were difficult to grow. Next
year maybe the flowers will be pollinated, before gale blows the
flowers off the trees.

Yes. It's been planted near the Belles de Jersey pear trees but it had
very little blossom. As it's only a young tree, we didn't expect much
but it will be nice if we get even one pear off it for Ray to try!

One was covered in blossom that a gale blew away and the other had no
blossom.

You've reminded me to go up the field tomorrow and take a look for baby pears!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

The orchard has landed ... Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 1 19-04-2014 12:22 AM
Hummer landed Wendy7 Garden Photos 4 20-03-2009 01:43 PM
Iridaceae - Iris Victoria Falls - bearded irisIridaceae - Iris Victoria Falls - bearded iris Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 2 01-02-2009 10:24 PM
ANN: 2 New Iris Videos from American Iris Society National Convention Bobby Baxter Gardening 0 28-05-2003 05:08 AM
tall iris?/MY IRIS jammer Gardening 0 17-04-2003 02:44 AM