Old 10-07-2013, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Website connection? AGAIN!!

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 17:33:19 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 17:50:38 +0200, Martin wrote:

Run ipconfig /all produces a window that opens and closes before I can
read the contents.

It will you need to open a command prompt window first then type the
ipconfig /... command. As has been said a couple of times.

You get to the command prompt by putting cmd into the start search
box or wandering into Accessories and selecting it.

I got the command prompt by putting Command Prompt into the start
search box.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

OK guys, I have been reading all your thoughts and even though I didn't
understand all of them I have acted.

first I ran a series of virus and malware programs which turned up nothing,
then thinking Nicks suggestion sounded the least invasive I turned
everything off last night, since rebooting this morning all has been normal.

The down side is I still have no idea what was wrong!!! But thank you all

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 10-07-2013, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Website connection?

"Baz" wrote in message
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in
:

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Jul 2013 11:10:04 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

My desk top PC has decided it will no longer connect to a
particular web site, both windows explorer and Chrome are the same
and it only affects this
one web site all others are normal. this machine is running on
Vista

Its not the web site as I can connect to it fine on the lap top

I do not get a "page not found" message but a "waiting for web site
to respond" message

I have tried disabling the virus protection, deleting the browsing
history,
and doing a system restore to a date previous to the problem, but
nothing has cured it.

Any ideas on what else I can try?

Press F5 just to make sure there are no slaves getting in on the
act! Even slave copies of some web pages can cause browser
problems.

Steve

Not sure what should have happened but it just returns to Google if
I do that

I am not sure if this is the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDqm3_8weVo

But it taught me alot.

Baz

No that's not my problem , but it did give me the idea to check on
youtube and I found this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1wxgc0cJ4g
Which appears to be a fix - but I can't understand a word the guy is
saying!!

See what you mean! But he shows you, might be difficult, it is for me.
Follow his clicks and pause the video with each of his clicks, step by
step?
Hope you resolve this, I can imagine how annoying it must be.
Baz

Sorted now Baz thanks, still no idea what it was

Old 11-07-2013, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

OK guys, I have been reading all your thoughts and even though I didn't
understand all of them I have acted.

first I ran a series of virus and malware programs which turned up nothing,
then thinking Nicks suggestion sounded the least invasive I turned
everything off last night, since rebooting this morning all has been normal.

The down side is I still have no idea what was wrong!!! But thank you all

I am glad it has helped, at least for now. I doubt that even an
expert on the relevant systems would be able to identify the problem
precisely, because modern systems are about as complicated as some
biological organisms and have as many idiosyncracies - even aging!
Luckily, one can usually restart them, which does clear out much
of the accumulated detritus, blocked paths and incorrect state.

Things are going to get worse before they get better, I am afraid,
because very few 'computer scientists' (as in "nothing to do with
computing and not a science") have a clue of the consequences of
over-complicated, ill-defined, highly-linked systems. And the
'solution' to every problem is still just another layer of
complexity to cover it up.

I have been a prophet crying in the wilderness about this for
getting on for 40 years now, but am amused to see that I have now
reached Ghandi's second stage in:

First they laugh at you, then they ignore you, then they fight
with you, then you win.

I don't expect to live to achieve either of the last two.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.