Old 09-07-2013, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Website connection?

My desk top PC has decided it will no longer connect to a particular web
site, both windows explorer and Chrome are the same and it only affects this
one web site all others are normal. this machine is running on Vista

Its not the web site as I can connect to it fine on the lap top

I do not get a "page not found" message but a "waiting for web site to
respond" message

I have tried disabling the virus protection, deleting the browsing history,
and doing a system restore to a date previous to the problem, but nothing
has cured it.

Any ideas on what else I can try?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 09-07-2013, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/07/2013 11:10, Charlie Pridham wrote:
My desk top PC has decided it will no longer connect to a particular web
site, both windows explorer and Chrome are the same and it only affects
this one web site all others are normal. this machine is running on Vista

Its not the web site as I can connect to it fine on the lap top

I do not get a "page not found" message but a "waiting for web site to
respond" message

I have tried disabling the virus protection, deleting the browsing
history, and doing a system restore to a date previous to the problem,
but nothing has cured it.

Any ideas on what else I can try?

Why not give us the page address, then we can try it for you? It could
be the web page at fault, not your machine.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/07/2013 11:10, Charlie Pridham wrote:
My desk top PC has decided it will no longer connect to a particular web
site, both windows explorer and Chrome are the same and it only affects this
one web site all others are normal. this machine is running on Vista

Its not the web site as I can connect to it fine on the lap top

I do not get a "page not found" message but a "waiting for web site to
respond" message

I have tried disabling the virus protection, deleting the browsing history,
and doing a system restore to a date previous to the problem, but nothing
has cured it.

Any ideas on what else I can try?

Check that the site hasn't been blocked by your firewall. Temporarily
disable the firewall and try accessing the site.

--

Jeff
Old 09-07-2013, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/07/2013 12:08, Charlie Pridham wrote:

I am following up the firewall checking but I can't get that to work
either which looks as if it may be the culprit, just waiting on BT to
get back to me

Maybe check on another https site - preferably finance related. Also,
check you can get to an antivirus vendor site such as kaspersky or
Sophos. If any of the above don't work, it might imply some form of
malware.

cheers
Andyw
Old 09-07-2013, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Jul 2013 11:10:04 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

My desk top PC has decided it will no longer connect to a particular web
site, both windows explorer and Chrome are the same and it only affects
this
one web site all others are normal. this machine is running on Vista

Its not the web site as I can connect to it fine on the lap top

I do not get a "page not found" message but a "waiting for web site to
respond" message

I have tried disabling the virus protection, deleting the browsing
history,
and doing a system restore to a date previous to the problem, but nothing
has cured it.

Any ideas on what else I can try?

Check that malware hasn't changed your DNS.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Not sure how to do that Martin, sounds like it is a possibility though

Old 09-07-2013, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Jul 2013 12:45:58 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

This explains for Win 7
http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/display...s+on+Windows+7

Don't use the MIT settings
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

I have filed that away, for the present all seems to be working again after
about 48 hours, but I think I will quite will I am ahead!

Old 09-07-2013, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

My desk top PC has decided it will no longer connect to a particular web
site, both windows explorer and Chrome are the same and it only affects this
one web site all others are normal. this machine is running on Vista

Its not the web site as I can connect to it fine on the lap top

I do not get a "page not found" message but a "waiting for web site to
respond" message

I have tried disabling the virus protection, deleting the browsing history,
and doing a system restore to a date previous to the problem, but nothing
has cured it.

Any ideas on what else I can try?

Press F5 just to make sure there are no slaves getting in on the act!
Even slave copies of some web pages can cause browser problems.

Steve

Old 09-07-2013, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

My desk top PC has decided it will no longer connect to a particular web
site, both windows explorer and Chrome are the same and it only affects
this
one web site all others are normal. this machine is running on Vista

Its not the web site as I can connect to it fine on the lap top

I do not get a "page not found" message but a "waiting for web site to
respond" message

I have tried disabling the virus protection, deleting the browsing
history,
and doing a system restore to a date previous to the problem, but nothing
has cured it.

Any ideas on what else I can try?

Press F5 just to make sure there are no slaves getting in on the act!
Even slave copies of some web pages can cause browser problems.

Steve

Not sure what should have happened but it just returns to Google if I do
that

Old 09-07-2013, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

I am not sure if this is the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDqm3_8weVo

But it taught me alot.

Baz
Old 09-07-2013, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I have been using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware pro for a few years now and
find it good.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_pro/
David @ a hot side of Swansea Bay

Old 09-07-2013, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

No that's not my problem , but it did give me the idea to check on youtube
and I found this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1wxgc0cJ4g
Which appears to be a fix - but I can't understand a word the guy is
saying!!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Website connection? AGAIN!!

On 09/07/2013 15:17, Charlie Pridham wrote:

Its back to miss behaving!, I am inclined to agree that it would be a
good idea to find out why before risking any online banking, but I have
no idea why it started, why it only effects one web site on one computer
and why it suddenly started working only to stop again an hour later.

One other thing that might be worth trying is to flush the dns - that
will at least rule out local DNS caching errors. Although that might not
be the problem, you can at least rule it out.

|Start Granny Egg Interface mode|
When you have the problem:
In windows, open a command prompt (Start/Run/ type CMD)
and type ipconfig /flushdns in the window
(all without the chevrons)

Test again.

cheers
andyw

Old 10-07-2013, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

See what you mean! But he shows you, might be difficult, it is for me.
Follow his clicks and pause the video with each of his clicks, step by
step?
Hope you resolve this, I can imagine how annoying it must be.
Baz
Old 10-07-2013, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/07/2013 14:11, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 09:51:41 +0100, News
wrote:

On 09/07/2013 15:17, Charlie Pridham wrote:

|Start Granny Egg Interface mode|
When you have the problem:
In windows, open a command prompt (Start/Run/ type CMD)
and type ipconfig /flushdns in the window
(all without the chevrons)

When I had a problem like Charlie Pridham has, I noticed it because US
military and government sites wouldn't connect. The DNS had been
replaced by malware. Luckily I noticed before I did any internet
banking with a false DNS in place. With Win XP it was easy to see
which DNS was being used.

Using Run ipconfig, the result doesn't stay on the screen long enough
for me to read it

Sorry if I'm misinterpreting, but opening a command window (run/cmd) and
then using ipconfig allows you to scroll up through contents.

ipconfig /displaydns
gives all the current content of the cache

cheers
andyw
Old 10-07-2013, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 17:50:38 +0200, Martin wrote:

Run ipconfig /all produces a window that opens and closes before I can
read the contents.

It will you need to open a command prompt window first then type the
ipconfig /... command. As has been said a couple of times.

You get to the command prompt by putting cmd into the start search
box or wandering into Accessories and selecting it.

--
Cheers
Dave.