Old 29-07-2013, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Polygonum

Looking for a name for a polygonum I have I came across this one
http://plantdelights.com/Catalog/Cur...ail/05427.html
Defiantly an "I want one"
David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay
What was I looking for?
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psea27db37.jpg
Old 29-07-2013, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-29 20:05:14 +0100, David Hill said:

Looking for a name for a polygonum I have I came across this one
http://plantdelights.com/Catalog/Cur...ail/05427.html
Defiantly an "I want one"
David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay
What was I looking for?
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psea27db37.jpg

Do you have P. Red Dragon? It may just be my favouritebecause of the
colour and the beautiful leaf marking.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-07-2013, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-29 20:05:14 +0100, David Hill said:

Looking for a name for a polygonum I have I came across this one
http://plantdelights.com/Catalog/Cur...ail/05427.html
Defiantly an "I want one"
David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay
What was I looking for?
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psea27db37.jpg

Do you have P. Red Dragon? It may just be my favouritebecause of the
colour and the beautiful leaf marking.

Yes, it is a goo one.
Old 29-07-2013, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/07/2013 20:05, David Hill wrote:
Looking for a name for a polygonum I have I came across this one
http://plantdelights.com/Catalog/Cur...ail/05427.html

I thought that it looked suspiciously similar to Japanese Knotweed
(Fallopia japonica). It turns out that Polygonum cuspidatum is a synonym
of Fallopia japonica.

Red flowers suggests that it's a hybrid, rather than pure Japanese
Knotweed. (And the seed parent may also be a hybrid - between Japanese
and Giant Knotweeds.)

Defiantly an "I want one"
David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay
What was I looking for?
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psea27db37.jpg

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 29-07-2013, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/07/2013 20:05, David Hill wrote:
Looking for a name for a polygonum I have I came across this one
http://plantdelights.com/Catalog/Cur...ail/05427.html
Defiantly an "I want one"
David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay
What was I looking for?
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psea27db37.jpg

I thought I recognised the name, David; one of many synonymous tags for
the dreaded Japanese Knotweed. Be careful what you wish for ... :~(.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_knotweed

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Old 29-07-2013, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/07/2013 22:13, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
On 29/07/2013 20:05, David Hill wrote:
Looking for a name for a polygonum I have I came across this one
http://plantdelights.com/Catalog/Cur...ail/05427.html

I thought that it looked suspiciously similar to Japanese Knotweed
(Fallopia japonica). It turns out that Polygonum cuspidatum is a synonym
of Fallopia japonica.

Red flowers suggests that it's a hybrid, rather than pure Japanese
Knotweed. (And the seed parent may also be a hybrid - between Japanese
and Giant Knotweeds.)

Meaning that a monster like Japanese Knotweed could come from seed, as
well as thuggish roots. Shiver.

Old 29-07-2013, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/07/2013 22:33, Spider wrote:
On 29/07/2013 22:13, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
On 29/07/2013 20:05, David Hill wrote:
Looking for a name for a polygonum I have I came across this one
http://plantdelights.com/Catalog/Cur...ail/05427.html

I thought that it looked suspiciously similar to Japanese Knotweed
(Fallopia japonica). It turns out that Polygonum cuspidatum is a synonym
of Fallopia japonica.

Red flowers suggests that it's a hybrid, rather than pure Japanese
Knotweed. (And the seed parent may also be a hybrid - between Japanese
and Giant Knotweeds.)

Meaning that a monster like Japanese Knotweed could come from seed, as
well as thuggish roots. Shiver.

The British populations are reputedly nearly 100% female, so there's not
much opportunity for setting seeds, but it is known to produce hybrids
with Russian Vine and Giant Knotweed.

Old 30-07-2013, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/07/2013 22:50, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
[...]

Yes, Stewart, I'd read about the RV/GK hybrid, but it seemed likely that
two parents of vigorus knotweed might produce seed. I hope not.

Old 30-07-2013, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/07/2013 16:08, Spider wrote:
[...]

In the nursery description they do say
"When grown in full sun, the leaves take on a reddish cast. In
September, the clumps are topped with terminal and axillary flower
stalks of short red spikes...very attractive, and no seedlings or
running in 10+ years"