Old 29-08-2013, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chipper/shredders?

On Thursday 29 August 2013 19:54 Christina Websell wrote in
uk.rec.gardening:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Hi,

I did read this:

http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/shredder.htm

but if I was looking for a shredder/chipper to handle odd branches and
lots
of hawthorn clippings, which would be a good model?

The purpose is to have less bulk and more ready to compost material.

Electric is OK. Bosch have a few that will do (claimed) up to 4cm or so
thick branches. I will have a few of those, but mostly I'm looking to
deal with a wheelie bin packed solid with finer clippings from mainly a
hawthorn
hedge.

Will any of the consumer ones be useful rather than a PITA? Last time I
used
a chipper it was a full sized hire one - as in "stuff in an entire 3"
hawthorn trunk with branches and watch as the hydraulic power feed sucked
it
to its doom".

Cheers!

I have a JCB electric shredder, it will eat broomhandle sized branches all
day, but it doesn't like fresh. As long as I let prunings dry out it
chomps
them happily. If I try to put them through green it blocks up.

Tina

Thanks for that Tina - all useful

I am still tossing up between a crusher type (big munchy cog) and a shredder
with a disc...

Old 30-08-2013, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 20:58:01 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

I am still tossing up between a crusher type (big munchy cog) and a
shredder with a disc...

Depends how much you value your hearing. The spinning disc type ARE
VERY NOISEY, PARDON, ABOUT HALF PAST TWO! Our B&D spinning disc
produces a fairly high pitched scream and really does require ear
defenders when in use.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Chipper / Shredders Mak Gardening 3 31-07-2007 11:37 PM
MTD 5hp Chipper/Shredder - Chipper blade removal ?? good-boy United Kingdom 0 06-08-2006 04:50 PM
Any experience with Electric Chipper / Shredders? Tom Bloom North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
Craftsman Chipper - Shredders J Kolenovsky Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Any experience with Electric Chipper / Shredders? Tom Bloom North Carolina 0 11-03-2003 03:34 AM