Old 06-11-2013, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What a lovely day

Well this is the most miserable day of this autumn, it's been windy
(gusting to 50mph and over for the last 4 hours) with either drizzle or
rain almost all day and still not easing up.

After the gales the other day I took this pic of the Dahlia Imperialis
still holding up but a little windswept from the other side.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps750d897a.jpg

With luck they may yet come into flower, the buds are coming in quite
quickly
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psadbd6bbb.jpg

David @ a horrible side of Swansea Bay
Old 06-11-2013, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

Well this is the most miserable day of this autumn, it's been windy
(gusting to 50mph and over for the last 4 hours) with either drizzle or
rain almost all day and still not easing up.

After the gales the other day I took this pic of the Dahlia Imperialis
still holding up but a little windswept from the other side.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps750d897a.jpg

With luck they may yet come into flower, the buds are coming in quite
quickly
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psadbd6bbb.jpg

Funny enough I was talking to a friend recently and we were saying that had
we still had the tall D.imperialis (from Hillhouse) they would probably be
in flower this year as we haven't had a frost yet. I only took my Cymbidiums
into the greenhouse today.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/11/2013 17:53, David Hill wrote:
Well this is the most miserable day of this autumn, it's been windy
(gusting to 50mph and over for the last 4 hours) with either drizzle or
rain almost all day and still not easing up.

After the gales the other day I took this pic of the Dahlia Imperialis
still holding up but a little windswept from the other side.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps750d897a.jpg

With luck they may yet come into flower, the buds are coming in quite
quickly
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psadbd6bbb.jpg

David @ a horrible side of Swansea Bay

A neighbour of ours has a front garden full of nothing but dahlias, a
spectacular display in an otherwise nondescript little street. I never
see them being lifted for the winter but I'm keeping an eye out this year
Old 06-11-2013, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-06 18:43:59 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"David Hill" wrote

Well this is the most miserable day of this autumn, it's been windy
(gusting to 50mph and over for the last 4 hours) with either drizzle or
rain almost all day and still not easing up.

After the gales the other day I took this pic of the Dahlia Imperialis
still holding up but a little windswept from the other side.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps750d897a.jpg

With luck they may yet come into flower, the buds are coming in quite quickly
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psadbd6bbb.jpg

Funny enough I was talking to a friend recently and we were saying that
had we still had the tall D.imperialis (from Hillhouse) they would
probably be in flower this year as we haven't had a frost yet. I only
took my Cymbidiums into the greenhouse today.

Our D.imperialis is still in leaf and looking green and health in the
border to the top left of the big lawn. But there's no sign of a
flower and it certainly won't produce one now. We were quite surprised
to see it grow at all this year! Remind me to send you another, Bob
and you can try again in the spring.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com