Old 16-11-2013, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default All ABOUT THE New EU Seed Law Updated November 2013

On 16/11/2013 15:10, Ophelia wrote:

All ABOUT THE New EU Seed Law

Reading your post, it seems the new law is a very bad thing for
gardeners. Presumably the law is intended to be a benefit for somebody
but who supposed to benefit from this draconian legislation?

--
David in Normandy.
Old 16-11-2013, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote

Ophelia wrote:

All ABOUT THE New EU Seed Law

Reading your post, it seems the new law is a very bad thing for gardeners.
Presumably the law is intended to be a benefit for somebody but who
supposed to benefit from this draconian legislation?

"Although they say there will be exceptions, in current drafts of the law
these are very, very limited."
BUT the French will find a way round it or maybe just ignore it altogether
like they do keeping cheese in a fridge in a restaurant.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 16-11-2013, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/11/13 16:02, Bob Hobden wrote:
"David in Normandy" wrote

Ophelia wrote:

All ABOUT THE New EU Seed Law

Reading your post, it seems the new law is a very bad thing for
gardeners. Presumably the law is intended to be a benefit for somebody
but who supposed to benefit from this draconian legislation?

"Although they say there will be exceptions, in current drafts of the law
these are very, very limited."
BUT the French will find a way round it or maybe just ignore it
altogether like they do keeping cheese in a fridge in a restaurant.

I hope the French *don't* keep cheese in a fridge - it's the ruination
of it.

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 16-11-2013, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:

All ABOUT THE New EU Seed Law

Reading your post, it seems the new law is a very bad thing for
gardeners. Presumably the law is intended to be a benefit for somebody
but who supposed to benefit from this draconian legislation?

"Although they say there will be exceptions, in current drafts of the law
these are very, very limited."
BUT the French will find a way round it or maybe just ignore it
altogether like they do keeping cheese in a fridge in a restaurant.

I hope the French *don't* keep cheese in a fridge - it's the ruination
of it.

It's never harmed my fridge
Old 16-11-2013, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:

All ABOUT THE New EU Seed Law

Reading your post, it seems the new law is a very bad thing for
gardeners. Presumably the law is intended to be a benefit for somebody
but who supposed to benefit from this draconian legislation?

"Although they say there will be exceptions, in current drafts of the
law
these are very, very limited."
BUT the French will find a way round it or maybe just ignore it
altogether like they do keeping cheese in a fridge in a restaurant.

I hope the French *don't* keep cheese in a fridge - it's the ruination
of it.

It's never harmed my fridge

lol
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 17-11-2013, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 2:23:11 PM UTC, David in Normandy wrote:

Reading your post, it seems the new law is a very bad thing for

gardeners. Presumably the law is intended to be a benefit for somebody

but who supposed to benefit from this draconian legislation?

Large corporations.

The EU and all other large legislative bodies are in the pay of corporations (plutocracy) and eveything is done for their benefit. But it will always be advertised as being for our benefit, in this case, they'll probably say it is for health benefit and keeping us from accidently eating bad plants.
Old 17-11-2013, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/11/2013 09:44, Road_Hog wrote:
On Saturday, November 16, 2013 2:23:11 PM UTC, David in Normandy wrote:

Reading your post, it seems the new law is a very bad thing for

gardeners. Presumably the law is intended to be a benefit for somebody

but who supposed to benefit from this draconian legislation?

Large corporations.

The EU and all other large legislative bodies are in the pay of corporations (plutocracy) and eveything is done for their benefit. But it will always be advertised as being for our benefit, in this case, they'll probably say it is for health benefit and keeping us from accidently eating bad plants.

It does seem like one of those ridiculous laws that will benefit almost
nobody. Thinking about it, I can't even see the large corporations
gaining from this as it will mean they will have to abandon seeds /
plants with low sales volumes and restrict their sales to large volume
sales e.g. those to farmers. Can't see how anybody will benefit to be
honest, except the bureaucrats and labs that will do the testing. It
sounds like the sort of insane bureaucracy that only French politicians
could dream up - laws for the sake of laws to make more artificial jobs
for bureaucrats.

Well I will continue saving seeds from one year to the next and continue
to swap seeds and cuttings with friends and neighbours. I can see this
hurting small nurseries, garden centres and small seed and plant
producers but gardeners will continue sourcing seeds and plants from
each other as always. Though I guess organised seed swaps (at meet-ups
or online) may become illegal?

Gardeners will be hanging around street corners wearing dark glasses and
raincoats stopping passers-by "Psst! Do you want some illegal runner
bean seeds."

--
David in Normandy.
Old 17-11-2013, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
[...]

lol ... what a prospect!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 17-11-2013, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-17 09:09:59 +0000, David in Normandy said:

[...]

Love this! Parsnip pushers! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-11-2013, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-17 09:09:59 +0000, David in Normandy said:

[...]

They will wear a red carnation and carry a folded copy of the Daily Mail.

The Daily Mail?! How very dare you! Amateur Gardening, surely?!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-11-2013, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gardeners will be hanging around street corners wearing dark glasses
and raincoats stopping passers-by "Psst! Do you want some illegal
runner bean seeds."

Love this! Parsnip pushers! ;-)

They will wear a red carnation and carry a folded copy of the Daily Mail.

The Daily Mail?! How very dare you! Amateur Gardening, surely?!

Not to mention the Pea do files and the Has beans
Old 17-11-2013, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/11/2013 12:43, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 15:23:11 +0100, David in Normandy
wrote:

On 16/11/2013 15:10, Ophelia wrote:

All ABOUT THE New EU Seed Law

Reading your post, it seems the new law is a very bad thing for
gardeners. Presumably the law is intended to be a benefit for somebody
but who supposed to benefit from this draconian legislation?

People who buy seeds.

How? It is so draconian it throws the baby out with the bath water.

--
David in Normandy.
Old 17-11-2013, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 22:34:06 +0100, Martin wrote:

All ABOUT THE New EU Seed Law

Reading your post, it seems the new law is a very bad thing for
gardeners. Presumably the law is intended to be a benefit for somebody
but who supposed to benefit from this draconian legislation?

People who buy seeds.

How? It is so draconian it throws the baby out with the bath water.

Read the draft regulation and ignore the works of rent-a-rumour posts.

There have been discussions about this proposed PRM legislation in
April, May and September this year (see 'more EC tomfoolery' 25 April
and 'have you heard about this' 12 May and 'blog mentioning possible
EU plant regs' 17 September).

At the time of the April thread I checked the draft legislation and
gave a brief summary on 26 April which indicated that the main purpose
of the new reg was to pull the many existing Council Directives (12
from memory) concerning plant reproductive material together under one
piece of legislation and that the impact on gardeners was likely to be
minimal as the controls, concerning a fairly limited list of seed
species, were directed at commercial enterprises.

From a quick look it appears that the legislation has not yet been
agreed but the current proposal summary includes the following text
which supports the above -

'The complexity and fragmentation of the existing legislation is
likely to perpetuate existing uncertainties and discrepancies in its
implementation between the Member States. This creates an uneven
playing field for professional operators on the single market.

Developments in the areas of agriculture, horticulture, forestry,
plant breeding and making available on the market of plant
reproductive material have shown that the legislation needs to be
simplified and further adapted to the developments of the sector by
replacing the existing Directives by a single Regulation.'

It goes on to cover the need to improve 'The traceability of any plant
reproductive material' which is in line with the introduction of farm
to retail traceability of many foodstuffs during the last few years.

For anyone who is really interested a short European Parliament
summary is at
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/oeil/p...64628&t=e&l=en

--
rbel