Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles
Default Possible to fix wind rocked tree?

My Nothofagus antarctica (antarctic beech) which, given the size I bought it at, is about 15 yrs old and 20ft tall, is now at a rather unjaunty angle as a result of the storm at the end of October. It's probably now about 15-20 degrees off the vertical. There are no roots unearthed. It is a very light and airy tree, not much more than 6 inches diameter at the base, which is supposed to be its defence against the very strong winds it gets where it grows naturally in Patagonia. And I have removed some major branches from time to time as I have been trying to enforce a single-trunked habit. Nevertheless as it is I can't move it at all by using my bodyweight to push it, though I haven't yet tried tying a rope high up on it and pulling that.

I'm observing some splits on the trunk no the side that has been lifted, so I'm wondering if there is a bit of a fungal problem on that side of the tree which weakened the roots on that side.

Since it's fairly close to my property boundary, and it's blown inwards, I can't really put in anchor points for guylines on the side that would be useful.

Any thoughts on what I can do with it? I really don't want it leaning in this direction and I'll have to cut it down if I can't straighten it.