Old 08-12-2013, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bare rooted evergreens

Anyone got any experience with these?

I am interested in using Berberis julianae as part of a thorny hedge.
It is much cheaper to buy as bare-rooted plants, but I wonder whether
the success rate in planting these will make it worthwhile.

(NB Other plants in the hedge could be blackthorn and Rosa rugosa.)

--

Jeff
Old 08-12-2013, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/12/2013 09:57, Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone got any experience with these?

I am interested in using Berberis julianae as part of a thorny hedge. It
is much cheaper to buy as bare-rooted plants, but I wonder whether the
success rate in planting these will make it worthwhile.

(NB Other plants in the hedge could be blackthorn and Rosa rugosa.)

When ever I've used bare root hedging plants from a reputable grower
I've had at least 95% success rate. Go for it, after all that was the
way they were always sold.
When they arrive, heal them into the ground till you are ready to use them.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Anyone got any experience with these?

I am interested in using Berberis julianae as part of a thorny hedge. It
is much cheaper to buy as bare-rooted plants, but I wonder whether the
success rate in planting these will make it worthwhile.

(NB Other plants in the hedge could be blackthorn and Rosa rugosa.)

--

Jeff

I have done bare rooted holly in the past, failed to grow the first time due
to wind exposure, replanted with some wind break netting for their first
winter and had no losses the second time. so I think it depends how wind
sheltered they will be until their roots establish.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 08-12-2013, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, December 8, 2013 9:57:09 AM UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone got any experience with these?

I am interested in using Berberis julianae as part of a thorny hedge.

It is much cheaper to buy as bare-rooted plants, but I wonder whether

the success rate in planting these will make it worthwhile.

(NB Other plants in the hedge could be blackthorn and Rosa rugosa.)

--

Jeff

Depends where you get them from and how long they've been lined out in the field. Years ago field grown stock often came as lovely thick clumps. If you can find that sort of place then you'll be getting something far superior to container grown plants.

Rod
Old 09-12-2013, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/12/2013 09:57, Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone got any experience with these?

I am interested in using Berberis julianae as part of a thorny hedge.
It is much cheaper to buy as bare-rooted plants, but I wonder whether
the success rate in planting these will make it worthwhile.

(NB Other plants in the hedge could be blackthorn and Rosa rugosa.)

Many thanks for all the replies.

--

Jeff

Bare rooted trees David United Kingdom 5 10-02-2003 07:20 PM
Bare Rooted Trees David Gardening 1 09-02-2003 06:15 PM
bare-rooted hedging plants Karen United Kingdom 4 30-11-2002 09:47 AM
Bare Rooted Hazel Chris Stewart United Kingdom 1 31-10-2002 11:33 PM
Bare rooted Sweet William plants -- where to get them ?? Bob United Kingdom 2 29-09-2002 06:48 PM