Old 27-12-2013, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Poinsettias are just for Xmas?

Looking at the scores of unsold poinsettias in my local supermarket, it
made me wonder what % of the world's poinsettias actually get sold.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old 27-12-2013, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 13:25:11 +0000, Jim S wrote:

Looking at the scores of unsold poinsettias in my local supermarket, it
made me wonder what % of the world's poinsettias actually get sold.

and how many of those received as gifts are looked after and not
thrown out at New Year.
Old 27-12-2013, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 13:47:53 +0000, Fuschia
wrote:

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 13:25:11 +0000, Jim S wrote:

Looking at the scores of unsold poinsettias in my local supermarket, it
made me wonder what % of the world's poinsettias actually get sold.

and how many of those received as gifts are looked after and not
thrown out at New Year.

I don't know but probably the great majority. Not very keen on them.
however about 30 years ago I saw one that was really spectacular and
quite unforgettable. It was located in a private garden on the
eastern outskirts of Chania in Crete and it was at least 10 feet tall
with a 15 feet spread. I must see if I can dig up a photo.
--
rbel
Old 27-12-2013, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 13:25:11 +0000, Jim S wrote:

Looking at the scores of unsold poinsettias in my local supermarket, it
made me wonder what % of the world's poinsettias actually get sold.

and how many of those received as gifts are looked after and not
thrown out at New Year.

I don't know but probably the great majority. Not very keen on them.
however about 30 years ago I saw one that was really spectacular and
quite unforgettable. It was located in a private garden on the
eastern outskirts of Chania in Crete and it was at least 10 feet tall
with a 15 feet spread. I must see if I can dig up a photo.

How hardy are they?
My mum has got two.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 27-12-2013, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 13:25:11 +0000, Jim S wrote:

Looking at the scores of unsold poinsettias in my local supermarket, it
made me wonder what % of the world's poinsettias actually get sold.

and how many of those received as gifts are looked after and not
thrown out at New Year.

I don't know but probably the great majority. Not very keen on them.
however about 30 years ago I saw one that was really spectacular and
quite unforgettable. It was located in a private garden on the
eastern outskirts of Chania in Crete and it was at least 10 feet tall
with a 15 feet spread. I must see if I can dig up a photo.

How hardy are they?
My mum has got two.

They aren't. They aren't anything like as delicate as many house
plants, or some references say, but are not at all hardy.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 27-12-2013, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 13:25:11 +0000, Jim S wrote:

Looking at the scores of unsold poinsettias in my local supermarket, it
made me wonder what % of the world's poinsettias actually get sold.

and how many of those received as gifts are looked after and not
thrown out at New Year.

I don't know but probably the great majority. Not very keen on them.
however about 30 years ago I saw one that was really spectacular and
quite unforgettable. It was located in a private garden on the
eastern outskirts of Chania in Crete and it was at least 10 feet tall
with a 15 feet spread. I must see if I can dig up a photo.

How hardy are they?
My mum has got two.

Like Turkeys they are breed just for the Xmas market.
They won't take frost as my late mother found out many years ago when
she worked for a year on a mission station near Pietermaritzburg.
They had a bush outside that was over 20 ft wide, and she kept meaning
to take pics of it, then finally she got a new film for her camera and
decided to take the pictures "in the morning", that night they had a
sharp frost, and next morning just bare stems, all the leaves had fallen
off..
David @ a breezy side of Swansea Bay where the wind was gusting to over
70mph for 9 hours with a top gust of 85mph, and gusting to over 60 mph
for 15 hours
Old 27-12-2013, 04:56 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

They're quite difficult to look after! A lot of them (not surprising considering the prices) are not much more than rooted cuttings stuck in a pot. Quite possibly best regarded as long-lasting cut flowers.
__________________
Old 27-12-2013, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

How hardy are they?
My mum has got two.

Not hardy, but they will produce the red bracts again if you treat them
right - but it won't be at Christmas as growers mess about with the
day-length to get that.
Careful when pruning as the sap is nasty.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old 27-12-2013, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 16:06:39 +0000, mogga wrote:

How hardy are they?
My mum has got two.

You can keep them as house plants, we did so for a couple of years.
Hardly worth it though, we never succeeded in getting it to go red
again. IIRC it involved sticking the thing in the closet, then we would
forget about it, etc. Many long years ago though!

-E
--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 27-12-2013, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 13:25:11 +0000, Jim S wrote:

Looking at the scores of unsold poinsettias in my local supermarket, it
made me wonder what % of the world's poinsettias actually get sold.

The best place for poinsettias is in places like Barbados where they
grow into large bushes and don't need to be hidden in cupboards or
black bags to encourage them to form red bracts.
There aren't many plants I dislike but they are one. Every year I hope
and pray that nobody gives me one for Christmas!

Pam in Bristol

Old 29-12-2013, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Dec 2013 17:15:26 GMT, Emery Davis
wrote:

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 16:06:39 +0000, mogga wrote:

How hardy are they?
My mum has got two.

You can keep them as house plants, we did so for a couple of years.
Hardly worth it though, we never succeeded in getting it to go red
again. IIRC it involved sticking the thing in the closet, then we would
forget about it, etc. Many long years ago though!

-E

I will mention this to her
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk