Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2014, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree/shrub questions

Many years ago, I planted a Philadelphus "Belle Etoile" but did
not realise that it would not grow above 4-5 feet. So:

What are the chances of me moving one with a basal width of a
few inches? Yes, I know how, but not what the chances are.

Can anyone think of a good small tree or shrub that will grow
in an upright fashion (critical) to 10-20' - or can be pruned
to be no higher than 10' and to avoid spreading sideways too
much (as I do with Abelia and Berberis vulgaris) - and preferably
is a good show of white in the spring for a reasonable period?

I have found plausible hits with some Viburnum, Philadelphus
(but is replanting OK for them?), Dipelta, Amelanchier and
Exochorda, but the main problem is getting one that is reliably
upright. Buddleia and Syringa are fallback only.

Also, can Amelanchier lamarkii be pruned to keep it that small?
The RHS says "no", but that's not always true.

And why on earth are fragrant woody plants always so much less
fragrant in my garden than elsewhere? No, don't bother with that;
it's just one of Life's Great Mysteries.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.