Old 12-02-2014, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Down they go

On 2014-02-12 14:39:54 +0000, David Hill said:

Well it had to happen, the last report of the wind gusting at the
Mumbles, which we can see from here 450ft higher was wind gusting too
92 mph.
And so far I have had a 60ft variegated leylandii and a40ft golden
conifer next to each other blown down, won't have done the 20 year old
camellia under them a lot of good.
And now as I write this a 30ft golden leylandii has just blown down
across the window.
And to add to the fun I've just had a phone call from the hospital to
say my wife can come home, she's been in with a mixture of problems,
kidneys, INR, blood sugar and urinary tract infection.
David at a very windy side of Swansea Bay

Oh David, I'm so sorry. Love to you and J
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-02-2014, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-12 15:10:45 +0000, Derek Turner said:

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 14:39:54 +0000, David Hill wrote:

And so far I have had a 60ft variegated leylandii snip blown down,

You say that like it's a bad thing.

It is if it's forming a shelter belt. David has a Dahlia nursery.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-02-2014, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-12 15:10:45 +0000, Derek Turner said:

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 14:39:54 +0000, David Hill wrote:

And so far I have had a 60ft variegated leylandii snip blown down,

You say that like it's a bad thing.

It is if it's forming a shelter belt. David has a Dahlia nursery.

Well it solves one problem, I have been trying to think where I could
plant a Thujopsis dolobrata 'Variegata' that has overgrown it's pot and
is over 7ft tall, had wondered how to get it down to Devon, but I do
have a smaller one that could make the journey
"Mum" is at Duffrin gardens and is a magnificent tree over 50 ft tall,
but won,t make the wind break that the leylandii was.
It also had great colour.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psd729713b.jpg
I must say with the 2 down they do look like a couple of the jumps at
Aintree
David
Old 13-02-2014, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/02/2014 15:51, Let It Be wrote:
Spider wrote:
On 12/02/2014 15:10, Derek Turner wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 14:39:54 +0000, David Hill wrote:

And so far I have had a 60ft variegated leylandii snip blown down,

You say that like it's a bad thing.

It *is* a bad thing if said tree is part of your wind break!

Being fairly shallow rooted, a fully grown leylandii is not thing to have as
a wind break!

Well, if it's 60 ft high and has been up maybe 30+ years (assuming the
variegated form grows more slowly), and withstood everything the weather
could throw at it until this extraordinarily windy winter, then it
hasn't done too badly as a windbreak. The sad thing is that as large,
single specimen trees, leylandii are very attractive in an open
landscape (well, they are to me). But that does make them more
vulnerable to the wind, whereas in blocks they are much more stable.
although visually unattractive.

--

Jeff
Old 13-02-2014, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"David Hill" wrote in message
Well it had to happen, the last report of the wind gusting at the
Mumbles, which we can see from here 450ft higher was wind gusting too 92
mph.
And so far I have had a 60ft variegated leylandii and a40ft golden
conifer next to each other blown down, won't have done the 20 year old
camellia under them a lot of good.
And now as I write this a 30ft golden leylandii has just blown down
across the window.
And to add to the fun I've just had a phone call from the hospital to say
my wife can come home, she's been in with a mixture of problems, kidneys,
INR, blood sugar and urinary tract infection.
David at a very windy side of Swansea Bay

What an one say David?

I hope your wife'scondition improves and a better quality of life ensues.

You've had it rough with the weather which has been very bad recently.
Today is particularly rough and I dare say there will be many trees down
in the Swansea area.

Bill

Sorry about the disjointed first line of typing. My laptop sometimes
doesn't register what I've typed, some keys don't want to work on occasions.

What it should have read was " What can one say David"

Bill

Old 14-02-2014, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-12 15:10:45 +0000, Derek Turner said:

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 14:39:54 +0000, David Hill wrote:

And so far I have had a 60ft variegated leylandii snip blown down,

You say that like it's a bad thing.

It is if it's forming a shelter belt. David has a Dahlia nursery.

Well it solves one problem, I have been trying to think where I could
plant a Thujopsis dolobrata 'Variegata' that has overgrown it's pot and
is over 7ft tall, had wondered how to get it down to Devon, but I do
have a smaller one that could make the journey

Smiling happily!

"Mum" is at Duffrin gardens and is a magnificent tree over 50 ft tall,
but won,t make the wind break that the leylandii was.
It also had great colour.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psd729713b.jpg

I must say with the 2 down they do look like a couple of the jumps at Aintree
David

It looks exactly like that! You could have a sideline in steepchasing.
I'm x-ing fingers as I say this but apart from the odd small branch,
we've had no real damage here at all. How we escaped it with last
week's winds I don't know. And my daughter, who lives near Bridgwater,
tells me they've got howling gales and persistent rain today. We've
just got the persisting bit, so far.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-02-2014, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-12 15:10:45 +0000, Derek Turner said:

[...]

Valentine's day
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/

Simply brilliant! :~))

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 14-02-2014, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-12 15:10:45 +0000, Derek Turner said:

[...]

Love Matt cartoons and that's a good 'un!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-02-2014, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-12 15:10:45 +0000, Derek Turner said:

[...]

No wind or rain at the moment. The next lot is due in a couple of hours.
http://www.buienradar.nl/verwachting-3-uur

I hope it keeps away from us! We had no power from midnight last night
until about 2pm today. Thank heaven for the Aga and an open fireplace
here and there! But 7 panes of glass were sucked out of the
conservatory type greenhouse, otherwise so far, so good.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-02-2014, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-12 14:39:54 +0000, David Hill said:

Well it had to happen, the last report of the wind gusting at the
Mumbles, which we can see from here 450ft higher was wind gusting too
92 mph.
And so far I have had a 60ft variegated leylandii and a40ft golden
conifer next to each other blown down, won't have done the 20 year old
camellia under them a lot of good.
And now as I write this a 30ft golden leylandii has just blown down
across the window.
And to add to the fun I've just had a phone call from the hospital to
say my wife can come home, she's been in with a mixture of problems,
kidneys, INR, blood sugar and urinary tract infection.
David at a very windy side of Swansea Bay

Oh David, I'm so sorry. Love to you and J

A follow up to the damage.
Amazingly I will be able to save several of the "Crushed" with luck
The "Big one" caused most of the damage
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psd0610267.jpg
The camellia I was worried about has taken a beating
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps7baceecc.jpg
but I am going to try to stake it and pull it back into some sort of
shape and hope that in time the stem will heal itself to some extent.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps31cab444.jpg
Any ideas?
I don't think this helped the Golden Leylandii that came down
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psf597e416.jpg
The last blow did a lot of damage to the 10ft of the original glasshouse
that I replaced.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps352f39f5.jpg

I was saving it as a cold house and have the "Orchid"house butting onto
it, so I am going to cobble it together again with some mini profile
corrugated sheeting and some glass as it has a grape vine in it I
thought was lost, it's a small seedless black grape, I think of it as a
raisin.
David @ the blasted side of Swansea Bay

Old 16-02-2014, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-12 14:39:54 +0000, David Hill said:

[...]

Just as a follow up, I checked with google on Raisin I should probably
have said "currant" but found this .....
" Corinthian raisins, are dried berries of the small, sweet, seedless
grape cultivar 'Black Corinth'"
That just could be it.
David
Old 17-02-2014, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 20:01:30 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

Just as a follow up, I checked with google on Raisin I should probably
have said "currant" but found this .....
" Corinthian raisins, are dried berries of the small, sweet, seedless
grape cultivar 'Black Corinth'"

I can't quote a source, but I understood 'currant' was a corruption of
'Corinth'.

Gardening on Wilts/Somerset border
on slightly alkaline clay underlying soil worked for many decades.
Old 17-02-2014, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Just as a follow up, I checked with google on Raisin I should probably
have said "currant" but found this .....
" Corinthian raisins, are dried berries of the small, sweet, seedless
grape cultivar 'Black Corinth'"

I can't quote a source, but I understood 'currant' was a corruption of
'Corinth'.

I can. The OED :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-02-2014, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-12 14:39:54 +0000, David Hill said:

[...]

Golly, David, you did get a bashing, that looks awful! As to the
Camellia, there's no harm in trying and nothing to lose. Having watched
some eucalyptus and redwoods whipping about like crazy things here,
these photos make me realise that, whatever we thought was bad here,
was a lot worse with you!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com