Old 23-02-2014, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Default Red Kites over the Isle of Wight?

Have any been reported?

I 'think' I have just seen three over the Shanklin Chine area.

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk
www.nsrafa.org
Old 23-02-2014, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Have any been reported?

I 'think' I have just seen three over the Shanklin Chine area.

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk
www.nsrafa.org

In a way I'd be surprised. Round us there are a fair number,
but usually only singles or in pairs - except of course arounf
the feeding centres like Gigrin farm at Rhayader, where you can
see may be 50 plus!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 23-02-2014, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Have any been reported?

I 'think' I have just seen three over the Shanklin Chine area.

It's common to see a flock of a dozen or so milling around near J8/9 M4. I
guess it's not far as the Red Kite soars to the Solent.

Mike.

Old 23-02-2014, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 19:32:29 -0000, "Mike Coon"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Have any been reported?

I 'think' I have just seen three over the Shanklin Chine area.

It's common to see a flock of a dozen or so milling around near J8/9 M4. I
guess it's not far as the Red Kite soars to the Solent.

Mike.

They're more likely to be straying from the Sanctuary just off the
M40.

JonH
Old 23-02-2014, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

In article ,
says...

Have any been reported?

I 'think' I have just seen three over the Shanklin Chine area.

It's common to see a flock of a dozen or so milling around near J8/9 M4. I
guess it's not far as the Red Kite soars to the Solent.

Mike.

They're more likely to be straying from the Sanctuary just off the
M40.

Since they were introduced some years ago in the Stokenchurch area their
numbers have multiplied so that, when we goes from Reading to see my
daughter in Princes Risborough, we see red kites all the way. Most days
they are wheeling over our house here in Caversham.

David

Old 23-02-2014, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

In article , David Rance
writes

wrote:

In article ,
says...

Have any been reported?

I 'think' I have just seen three over the Shanklin Chine area.

It's common to see a flock of a dozen or so milling around near J8/9 M4. I
guess it's not far as the Red Kite soars to the Solent.

They're more likely to be straying from the Sanctuary just off the
M40.

Since they were introduced some years ago in the Stokenchurch area their
numbers have multiplied so that, when we goes from Reading to see my
daughter in Princes Risborough, we see red kites all the way. Most days
they are wheeling over our house here in Caversham.

We *goes* from Reading? You must be local then!

All the above is true but red kites don't spread very fast - only a few
kilometres a year. OTOH they're not hard to identify: if Mike saw three
huge birds with forked tails doing aerobatics and whistling to each
other they were almost certainly red kites.
If they were wedge-tailed, soaring or silent they probably weren't.
--
Sue ]
Old 24-02-2014, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Darkside" wrote in message ...

In article , David Rance
writes

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that info Sue. I last saw Red Kites at Goring when I was at the
Regatta there a couple of years ago and why I put 'think' I saw them here.

I went out with the camera later but ......................... no sign

Thanks for the replies folks.

Will do a "Shaw Taylor" ...................... ;-)

Old 24-02-2014, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Darkside" wrote in message ...
All the above is true but red kites don't spread very fast - only a few
kilometres a year. OTOH they're not hard to identify: if Mike saw three
huge birds with forked tails doing aerobatics and whistling to each
other they were almost certainly red kites.
If they were wedge-tailed, soaring or silent they probably weren't.

Oh, I'm utterly confident in my identification! I see them far more often,
these days, than buzzards. Tails and calls very distinct. The RK's warble
reminds me of the wobbulator (official name) we had at college. The varying
frequency prevents standing waves building up when making acoustic
measurements. Much more exaggerated than any musical vibrato!

Mike.

Old 24-02-2014, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Darkside" wrote in message ...
All the above is true but red kites don't spread very fast - only a few
kilometres a year.

I think "spread" here refers to adoption of nesting sites. Presumably they
like to nest within easy reach of related baby-sitters. Or where they know
where to find "lesser linen" (vide W Shakespeare). But OTOH they range far
and wide during the day, possibly in search of good foraging, so could be
seen well away from any known nest sites.

Mike.

Old 24-02-2014, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 22:50:17 Darkside wrote:

In article , David Rance
writes

wrote:

In article ,
says...

Have any been reported?

I 'think' I have just seen three over the Shanklin Chine area.

It's common to see a flock of a dozen or so milling around near J8/9 M4. I
guess it's not far as the Red Kite soars to the Solent.

They're more likely to be straying from the Sanctuary just off the
M40.

Since they were introduced some years ago in the Stokenchurch area their
numbers have multiplied so that, when we goes from Reading to see my
daughter in Princes Risborough, we see red kites all the way. Most days
they are wheeling over our house here in Caversham.

We *goes* from Reading? You must be local then!

Actually I am from High Wycombe and they do (or did) say, "I goes".
However that was a typo which I didn't notice until I'd sent the
message! Oi don't talk loike that no more!! Moi bruvvers bashed it out
of me when Oi was littel!

All the above is true but red kites don't spread very fast - only a few
kilometres a year.

Yes, but this has now been going on for quite a few years so it's
conceivable that they have reached the south coast by now, though, to be
honest, I've not seen any on my trips down to Portsmouth

David

Old 24-02-2014, 09:50 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
All the above is true but red kites don't spread very fast - only a few
kilometres a year.
I think that's probably true. There's been a very slow spread from the reintroduction site about 10 miles away - 5 years ago they were 5 miles away, in the cold winter of 2011 they made the odd sortie to our area, now we have them over our garden on a fairly regular basis.
__________________
Old 24-02-2014, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

In article , David Rance
writes

All the above is true but red kites don't spread very fast - only a few
kilometres a year.

Yes, but this has now been going on for quite a few years so it's
conceivable that they have reached the south coast by now, though, to be
honest, I've not seen any on my trips down to Portsmouth

Oi looked at a 2014 year list of a birder on the IoW: so far he's only
seen red kites on a trip to the mainland.
It's clear from other records that they do turn up there occasionally.
They're working their way through Hampshire so they'll soon be as common
as seagulls.
--
Sue ]
Old 24-02-2014, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote Yes, but this has now been going on for quite a few
years so it's conceivable that they have reached the south coast by now,
though, to be honest, I've not seen any on my trips down to Portsmouth

Well I saw them down in Hampshire, down near Stockbridge, so it's not much
of a flight to the IOW from there.

Regards

Bob Hobden

Old 28-02-2014, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message ...

Have any been reported?

I 'think' I have just seen three over the Shanklin Chine area.

Mike

Thanks for all the replies both on these forums and those who made contact
elsewhere. It seems they were Red Kites ............. not seen them since.