Old 25-02-2014, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Barn owl

Twice in three days a Barn Owl has been seen in our garden, first by
one of the team and today by Raymond. We hope the owl, whether he/she,
may be thinking of nesting in the little spinney at the end of the car
park and behind the Temple in the small garden. We've got Tawnys in
the churchyard but know that Matthew, Ray's son living in the cottage,
has heard Barn Owls in the past.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-02-2014, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Malcolm" wrote in message ...

Barn Owl's nest in holes, Sacha. In old buildings or large trees. They also
take very readily to nestboxes. Your local wildlife trust would, I'm sure,
advise you on size and position - and might even provide a box for you and
advise where it could be erected. A small tea chest (do they still exist, I
wonder?) is about the right size.

-
Malcolm

Sacha - please take as much care as is in your power with the "human" rodent
control methods
used in your vacinity. Many poisons used are not compatible with healthy
owls. Best leaving it to the owls to
do do any control.
Beautiful animals - you are so lucky to be a possible chosen host - good
luck (:-)

Pete

Old 25-02-2014, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-25 18:01:24 +0000, Malcolm said:

In article , sacha
writes
Twice in three days a Barn Owl has been seen in our garden, first by
one of the team and today by Raymond. We hope the owl, whether he/she,
may be thinking of nesting in the little spinney at the end of the car
park and behind the Temple in the small garden. We've got Tawnys in the
churchyard but know that Matthew, Ray's son living in the cottage, has
heard Barn Owls in the past.

Barn Owl's nest in holes, Sacha. In old buildings or large trees. They
also take very readily to nestboxes. Your local wildlife trust would,
I'm sure, advise you on size and position - and might even provide a
box for you and advise where it could be erected. A small tea chest (do
they still exist, I wonder?) is about the right size.

We have had a collection box here for decades for the Barn Owl Trust
and did ask them about putting up nest boxes. The man who came to look
advised against it, partly because of the Tawnys, iirc. It was a long
time ago, so I may have forgotten some of it. There are several large
trees in that area of the garden - Redwoods - so they might go for one
of those, if the trees in the spinney aren't sturdy enough. Today, Ray
was under the impression the rooks were objecting to the owl's presence
so that might drive it away, especially if it was looking at one of the
trees near them that isn't a redwood but one of the oaks or remaining
conifers. I can't think of any old, undisturbed, unoccupied buildings
that might suit, though.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-02-2014, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
On 2014-02-25 18:01:24 +0000, Malcolm said:

In article , sacha
writes
[...]

The Barn Owl Trust are a good source of information, though we have
Tawny and Barn Owls nesting quite near each other without apparent
problems. Trees are only good for breeding if they have decent
cavities, where a branch has broken off or at the top of the trunk,
though my limited experience of Redwoods suggests this is not common in
them. However, they are probably dense enough to provide a daytime
roosting place, though Barn Owls prefer holes for that too, so it is
quite likely that the bird you are seeing has a hole where it spends
the day, which could also be a nesting site if large enough.

Thanks, Malcolm, we'll keep our eyes and ears open.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Owl surprise! Sacha United Kingdom 46 25-11-2005 09:16 PM
motion-detecting owl? Captain Feedback Edible Gardening 1 28-05-2005 05:39 PM
ATawny Owl Brian United Kingdom 5 20-05-2005 12:30 PM
Owl ID Frogleg Gardening 5 17-06-2004 11:03 AM
Owl watching [email protected] North Carolina 12 16-06-2003 06:06 PM