Old 18-11-2005, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Owl surprise!

Ray came in 20 minutes ago and urged me outside "quickly, quickly"! There
in the small double greenhouse, perched on a cross bar was a Short Eared
owl. Ray had gone in there to check on a plant Charlie Pridham had given us
(so thanks, Charlie!) and heard an unfamiliar noise above his head. He
looked up to see the owl regarding him with great puzzlement. We think he
must have been in there all night or that he followed a mouse or some small
bird in there during the night, getting in through a broken pane, perhaps.
Matthew opened all the vents and the big sliding doors and I went round to
the other side of that house to the end where the owl was now perched. We
looked at each other for a few magical seconds and he flew off, out of the
vents and glided away, surrounded by a flurry of extremely surprised
sparrows!
Now, my question is, could this be the owl we've heard screeching a few
times?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-11-2005, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

[...]

I don't think so - they hoot - I've never heard of them screeching. They
also tend to be associated with moorland rather than areas with many
trees.

Your bird could have been resident, or a winter visitor.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 18-11-2005, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim C.

martin wrote:

Last week there was a green parakeet in a tree in the garden, this
morning there was a whitish one. Yesterday evening it snowed.

The same one covered in snow?
Was it nailed to the branch?

--
Tim C.
Old 18-11-2005, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote
The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

snip
Now, my question is, could this be the owl we've heard screeching a few
times?

I don't think so - they hoot - I've never heard of them screeching. They
also tend to be associated with moorland rather than areas with many
trees.

Your bird could have been resident, or a winter visitor.

There are sound files of short-eared owl calls he
http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?gen...ecies=flammeus

--
Sue

Old 18-11-2005, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
[...]

Your bird could have been resident, or a winter visitor pining for the
fjords.

Old 18-11-2005, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 18/11/05 13:12, in article
, "Sue"
wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote
The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

snip
Now, my question is, could this be the owl we've heard screeching a few
times?

I don't think so - they hoot - I've never heard of them screeching. They
also tend to be associated with moorland rather than areas with many
trees.

Your bird could have been resident, or a winter visitor.

There are sound files of short-eared owl calls he
http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?gen...ecies=flammeus

Lovely and thank you! Though I must say that the sound of the Little Owl
doesn't sound at all like ours do! Ours can and often do call in daylight
and make a sort of "hoo, hoohoo, hooooooooo" sound
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-11-2005, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 18/11/05 13:12, in article
, "Sue"
wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote
The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

snip
Now, my question is, could this be the owl we've heard screeching a few
times?

I don't think so - they hoot - I've never heard of them screeching. They
also tend to be associated with moorland rather than areas with many
trees.

Your bird could have been resident, or a winter visitor.

There are sound files of short-eared owl calls he
http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?gen...ecies=flammeus

Lovely and thank you! Though I must say that the sound of the Little Owl
doesn't sound at all like ours do! Ours can and often do call in daylight
and make a sort of "hoo, hoohoo, hooooooooo" sound

what a hoot!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-11-2005, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:43:31 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

Your bird could have been resident, or a winter visitor pining for the
fjords.

If it saw the program about Eagle Owls on BBC two nights ago, it could
be asking for asylum.

No - it should be safe from the 'Men in Black' anti-alien squad of the
conservation lobby, as even they accept the species is 'native', don't they?

Old 18-11-2005, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote snip

Lovely and thank you! Though I must say that the sound of the Little Owl
doesn't sound at all like ours do! Ours can and often do call in daylight
and make a sort of "hoo, hoohoo, hooooooooo" sound

The male Tawny Owl makes a hooting sound as above.
The male Barn Owl screeches.
The male Long Eared Owl make a very soft hooooting call with spaces between.
Hooo......Hooo.......Hooo.....
The male Short-Eared Owl make a hooting sound that sounds more like it's
laughing. Hoo Hoo Hoo......
The Little Owl I would neither call a screech or a hoot, more like..
graaap.. gradually rising and getting louder until the p which is a higher
single note, and the danger call is like a Blackbirds.

--
Regards
Bob

motion-detecting owl? Captain Feedback Edible Gardening 1 28-05-2005 05:39 PM
ATawny Owl Brian United Kingdom 5 20-05-2005 12:30 PM
Owl ID Frogleg Gardening 5 17-06-2004 11:03 AM
Owl watching [email protected] North Carolina 12 16-06-2003 06:06 PM
Surprise, surprise Zemedelec Gardening 1 30-03-2003 01:20 PM