Old 26-02-2014, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grass seed

I just had a lawn scarified and it does look a bit of a mess, due in
the main to the 30+ ant nests being scalped by the commercial machine.

I will need to do a lot of patching - I may just go over the whole
lawn whilst I am about it, given that it was somewhat tatty to start
with.

Having done a bit of googling I have found what I think may be a
reasonable mix from Bostons - Amenity Perennial Ryegrass 30%, Strong
Creeping Red Fescue 70%, which should establish itself fairly quickly
and stand up to a bit of wear and occasional neglect. I am not
looking for high quality sward.

Any grass experts out there who are able to comment?
--
rbel
Old 26-02-2014, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/02/2014 19:31, rbel wrote:

I just had a lawn scarified and it does look a bit of a mess, due in
the main to the 30+ ant nests being scalped by the commercial machine.

I will need to do a lot of patching - I may just go over the whole
lawn whilst I am about it, given that it was somewhat tatty to start
with.

Having done a bit of googling I have found what I think may be a
reasonable mix from Bostons - Amenity Perennial Ryegrass 30%, Strong
Creeping Red Fescue 70%, which should establish itself fairly quickly
and stand up to a bit of wear and occasional neglect. I am not
looking for high quality sward.

Any grass experts out there who are able to comment?

Not a grass expert, but I would look at their ChildsPlay Lawn Seed,
looks a better mix for a lawn, the one you mentioned would be good for a
rugby pitch, it wouldn't like being cut to short.
Old 27-02-2014, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/02/2014 20:04, David Hill wrote:
On 26/02/2014 19:31, rbel wrote:

I just had a lawn scarified and it does look a bit of a mess, due in
the main to the 30+ ant nests being scalped by the commercial machine.

I will need to do a lot of patching - I may just go over the whole
lawn whilst I am about it, given that it was somewhat tatty to start
with.

Having done a bit of googling I have found what I think may be a
reasonable mix from Bostons - Amenity Perennial Ryegrass 30%, Strong
Creeping Red Fescue 70%, which should establish itself fairly quickly
and stand up to a bit of wear and occasional neglect. I am not
looking for high quality sward.

Any grass experts out there who are able to comment?

Not a grass expert, but I would look at their ChildsPlay Lawn Seed,
looks a better mix for a lawn, the one you mentioned would be good for a
rugby pitch, it wouldn't like being cut to short.

I recently bought some from Winning Deals, it is supposed to be special
seed that germinates in relatively cold weather, used by sport
groundsmen. I will see I am having to restore my lawn after being
savaged by tree surgeons removing a large tree and stump.
Old 27-02-2014, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 20:04:16 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

On 26/02/2014 19:31, rbel wrote:

I just had a lawn scarified and it does look a bit of a mess, due in
the main to the 30+ ant nests being scalped by the commercial machine.

I will need to do a lot of patching - I may just go over the whole
lawn whilst I am about it, given that it was somewhat tatty to start
with.

Having done a bit of googling I have found what I think may be a
reasonable mix from Bostons - Amenity Perennial Ryegrass 30%, Strong
Creeping Red Fescue 70%, which should establish itself fairly quickly
and stand up to a bit of wear and occasional neglect. I am not
looking for high quality sward.

Any grass experts out there who are able to comment?

Not a grass expert, but I would look at their ChildsPlay Lawn Seed,
looks a better mix for a lawn, the one you mentioned would be good for a
rugby pitch, it wouldn't like being cut to short.

It may be a good idea to go for the 'rugby pitch' as the main users
are the foxes and badgers. They rarely dig the lawns up but they have
created well defined pathways across this particular one and of course
there is the ant problem - they love this lawn as it is very dry and I
am not keen on killing them off because they attract my favourite
birds, the green woodpeckers.
--
rbel