Old 10-03-2014, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Moss - Does it ever rot in the compost heap?

Moss from the roof and from lawn rakings never seems to rot in the
compost heap.
Will it rot eventually?
Or does it need a peat bog?
--
Chris
Old 10-03-2014, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 20:55:08 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

Moss from the roof and from lawn rakings never seems to rot in the
compost heap.
Will it rot eventually?

Certainty does, I use both, I do 'turn' the heap occasionally, and
have no problems.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris[_3_] View Post
Moss from the roof and from lawn rakings never seems to rot in the
compost heap.
Will it rot eventually?
Or does it need a peat bog?
--
Chris
A peat bog is a much worse place to try and rot moss than your compost heap. If your compost heap failed to rot it, it is because it is too much like a peat bog. What peat bogs do is prevent stuff from rotting, by excluding air, as in the preserved bog bodies we find from time to time. That's why you can still make out the original moss remains in peat, though commercial peat may be ground up so you can't see it as well as in a bog itself. In practice the preservation often isn't perfect which is why peat is defined as "partially decayed vegetation".

A large mass of moss in your compost heap can act as a plug to exclude air, which prevents rotting in the same way as a peat bog so you need to mix it up to get it to rot.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Derek
writes
On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 20:55:08 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

Moss from the roof and from lawn rakings never seems to rot in the
compost heap.
Will it rot eventually?

Certainty does, I use both, I do 'turn' the heap occasionally, and
have no problems.

Thanks for that.
I will be patient.
I'm glad the moss is not to be wasted.
--
Chris

How do you get pond plants to rot down on the compost heap Jq Roberts Gardening 5 15-08-2013 05:18 AM
How can you re-use compost if you don't have a compost heap? BlackThumb Gardening 8 26-05-2012 01:12 PM
rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
dog faeces can it be added to compost heap lee hudson United Kingdom 30 13-05-2003 06:08 PM
aquarium water on compost heap?? shannie United Kingdom 7 10-04-2003 11:08 PM