Old 06-05-2003, 12:56 PM
lee hudson

Default dog faeces can it be added to compost heap

is it safe to add to my heap if all i am going to do with the compost is use
it for flowers in the garden

Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Mark

Have a look at http://www.hdra.org.uk/factsheets/gg4 for some info.

Mark

Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Tumbleweed

"lee hudson" wrote in message
is it safe to add to my heap if all i am going to do with the compost is

use
it for flowers in the garden

Only if you'd normally spread dog shit over your flower beds, in that case
go ahead. BUt dont lick your lips after picking flowers.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Tumbleweed" writes:
| "lee hudson" wrote in message
| is it safe to add to my heap if all i am going to do with the compost is
| use
| it for flowers in the garden
|
| Only if you'd normally spread dog shit over your flower beds, in that case
| go ahead. BUt dont lick your lips after picking flowers.

An extremely good rule if you are growing Brugmansia or Gloriosa,
on other grounds, but I think that you mean fingers. Unless you
pick flowers in unusual ways :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Tumbleweed

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Tumbleweed" writes:
| "lee hudson" wrote in message
| is it safe to add to my heap if all i am going to do with the compost

is
| use
| it for flowers in the garden
|
| Only if you'd normally spread dog shit over your flower beds, in that

case
| go ahead. BUt dont lick your lips after picking flowers.

An extremely good rule if you are growing Brugmansia or Gloriosa,
on other grounds, but I think that you mean fingers. Unless you
pick flowers in unusual ways :-)

I did, and saw it just as I pressed 'send'

:-)

Old 06-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Martin B.

"Mark" wrote in message
Have a look at http://www.hdra.org.uk/factsheets/gg4 for some info.

Quoute from the above link
"Cat manure can also be composted, though it is not usually such a problem
as cats do at least bury their offerings! "

well i disagree that cat manure is less of a problem because you find them
when you least expect it !

Old 06-05-2003, 08:44 PM
ned

Tumbleweed wrote:
"lee hudson" wrote in message
is it safe to add to my heap if all i am going to do with the
compost is use it for flowers in the garden

Only if you'd normally spread dog shit over your flower beds, in

that
case go ahead. BUt dont lick your lips after picking flowers.

So what has faeces in the ground got to do with picking flowers?
You sit on the grass which has been defecated on by all manner of
God's creatures, with hands spread wide behind you, and never think
twice about daintily eating your cucumber sannies (with little finger
raised, of course).
;-)

--
ned

Old 06-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Tumbleweed

"ned" wrote in message
Tumbleweed wrote:
"lee hudson" wrote in message
is it safe to add to my heap if all i am going to do with the
compost is use it for flowers in the garden

Only if you'd normally spread dog shit over your flower beds, in

that
case go ahead. BUt dont lick your lips after picking flowers.

So what has faeces in the ground got to do with picking flowers?

Well, if I smeared dog shit over your flowers you probably wouldnt care to
pick them. So why do it voluntarily? Its not as if we are so poor we need
the fertiliser.

You sit on the grass which has been defecated on by all manner of
God's creatures, with hands spread wide behind you, and never think
twice about daintily eating your cucumber sannies (with little finger
raised, of course).
;-)

The grass in my garden hasnt generally been shat on by dogs or cats, both of
which can contain nasties hazardous to human health. And nor would I go out
of my way to
spread shit over my lawn. Why would you do it? What benefit would accrue
from doing so that would outweigh even a tiny health risk?

Old 06-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Anne Wheeldon

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
"ned" wrote in message
Tumbleweed wrote:
"lee hudson" wrote in message
[...]

I'm a bit puzzled by this. All the gardening books/ programmes say don't put
it on the compost heap, but we all use horse and chicken manure quite
happily. The website referred to in an earlier post suggests that they are v
high in phosphates from bones. My dogs eat dried food and vegetables but no
bones; they are wormed every six months so are unlikely to have toxicara
worms. I don't really grow veg. So what's the problem? Dog poo is only a
small fraction of the total compost.
I'd be very happy to get some sound advice on this.
Anne

Old 06-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Anne
Wheeldon writes

[...]

Horses are vegetarians. Chickens are a long way away from us in what
they eat and how they digest it. Dogs are carnivores/omnivores. Apart
from toxicara, there's the simple possibility that they may have eaten
something a bit off and be harbouring some sort of stomach infection -
they're close enough to us for there to be a greater chance that
whatever they've got will also affect us.

That's the theory, anyway!

I wouldn't use dog poo, or cat poo, just as I wouldn't use human poo,
though I'm quite happy for the uring of all 3 to be on my compost heap.

But then again, all the neighbourhood cats crap in my garden, as do the
occasional dogs that get in, so why am I worried?

And I don't wash fruit before eating it, except when I'm serving it to
visitors, and that's never caused me problems.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 06-05-2003, 11:32 PM
cpemma

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

I wouldn't use dog poo, or cat poo, just as I wouldn't use human poo,
though I'm quite happy for the uring of all 3 to be on my compost heap.

"Night soil" has been used as fertiliser for millenia, and I think sewage
sludge is available for soil improvement in some areas of the UK.

I've added the product from up to 4 large dogs to the compost bin ever since
it blocked the outside loo pipework about 20 years ago. Each bin is filled
over one year, along with the usual garden waste and kitchen peelings, and
then left a further year before use. After the worms and bacteria have gone
through it, no smell remains, and the texture is crumbly.

There are some crops that are said to take up the taste of over-fresh
manures (potatoes is one, IIRC) but for greens and flowers, no problem.

Old 07-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Mark

"Anne Wheeldon" wrote in message

snip

I'm a bit puzzled by this. All the gardening books/ programmes say don't

put
it on the compost heap, but we all use horse and chicken manure quite
happily. The website referred to in an earlier post suggests that they are

high in phosphates from bones. My dogs eat dried food and vegetables but

no
bones; they are wormed every six months so are unlikely to have toxicara
worms. I don't really grow veg. So what's the problem? Dog poo is only a
small fraction of the total compost.
I'd be very happy to get some sound advice on this.
Anne

A quick google also turns up http://www.uaf.edu/coop-ext/compost/dogs.html

Mark

Old 07-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Kay Easton

In article , cpemma
writes
"Kay Easton" wrote in message

I wouldn't use dog poo, or cat poo, just as I wouldn't use human poo,
though I'm quite happy for the uring of all 3 to be on my compost heap.

"Night soil" has been used as fertiliser for millenia,

It has, and it has caused health problems.

and I think sewage
sludge is available for soil improvement in some areas of the UK.

Sewage sludge has been given rather more treatment than a few weeks in a
compost heap, has it not?

Old 07-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Alan Holmes

"ned" wrote in message
Tumbleweed wrote:
"lee hudson" wrote in message
[...]

So you are absolutely certain you don't have foxes, or rats, or mice, or
birds in
your garden, all these creatures deposit their crap on the ground!

Alan

Old 07-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Alison

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

Only if you'd normally spread dog shit over your flower beds, in that case
go ahead. BUt dont lick your lips after picking flowers.

--
Tumbleweed

LOL

How can you re-use compost if you don't have a compost heap? BlackThumb Gardening 8 26-05-2012 01:12 PM
Dog Worms: Understand Dog Worms Symptoms and Infestation brahimbb17 Gardening 0 10-12-2008 12:17 PM
Faeces Babs United Kingdom 8 29-03-2007 01:09 PM
Added to the new compost pile Srgnt Billko Lawns 1 01-11-2006 09:04 PM
aquarium water on compost heap?? shannie United Kingdom 7 10-04-2003 11:08 PM