Old 27-03-2014, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping Sacha

Hello Sacha, do you remember the full name of that Plectranthus I bought
from yours, the one you and Ray call the BO plant. It has blue flowers.
Hoping ...

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 27-03-2014, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-27 14:05:50 +0000, Spider said:

Hello Sacha, do you remember the full name of that Plectranthus I
bought from yours, the one you and Ray call the BO plant. It has blue
flowers. Hoping ...

It's Coleus canina and it reeks! In warmer climates it's used to keep
dogs and cats off gardens and apparently it does work. It was given to
Ray as a Plectranthus from a friend with a holiday house in South
Africa but Coleus it is. Good luck with that, or are you moving house
to be shot of it?!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-03-2014, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-27 14:05:50 +0000, Spider said:

Hello Sacha, do you remember the full name of that Plectranthus I
bought from yours, the one you and Ray call the BO plant. It has blue
flowers. Hoping ...

It's Coleus canina and it reeks! In warmer climates it's used to keep
dogs and cats off gardens and apparently it does work. It was given to
Ray as a Plectranthus from a friend with a holiday house in South Africa
but Coleus it is. Good luck with that, or are you moving house to be
shot of it?!

Thank you, Sacha. No, I'm not moving house:~). I'd have to leave the
rest of my garden behind, not just the Coleus, the smell of which I find
quite attractive, actually. I don't say I'd like to dab it behind my
ears, but I can enjoy living with it.

It's change of name certainly explains something. I had thought that
because it smells somewhat of fresh human perspiration (I'm being
polite), my cats would love it ... they don't! They won't go near it, so
it does seem to work. I will try rooting a sprig in a raised bed where
a cat toilets rather messily (I won't draw a picture!), and hope that it
drives the cat elsewhere. Paws crossed.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 27-03-2014, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-27 14:05:50 +0000, Spider said:

Hello Sacha, do you remember the full name of that Plectranthus I
bought from yours, the one you and Ray call the BO plant. It has blue
flowers. Hoping ...

It's Coleus canina and it reeks! In warmer climates it's used to keep
dogs and cats off gardens and apparently it does work. It was given to
Ray as a Plectranthus from a friend with a holiday house in South
Africa but Coleus it is. Good luck with that, or are you moving house
to be shot of it?!

For info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plectranthus_caninus

Thanks, Chris. I can confirm that it does root quite readily *and*
seems to deter cats. I must test it on dogs.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 27-03-2014, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-27 14:05:50 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

I wouldn't be to sure Spider, it looks as if the cats are after a solution
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...pscb359dc5.jpg

Old 27-03-2014, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-27 14:05:50 +0000, Spider said:

Hello Sacha, do you remember the full name of that Plectranthus I
bought from yours, the one you and Ray call the BO plant. It has blue
flowers. Hoping ...

It's Coleus canina and it reeks! In warmer climates it's used to keep
dogs and cats off gardens and apparently it does work. It was given to
Ray as a Plectranthus from a friend with a holiday house in South
Africa but Coleus it is. Good luck with that, or are you moving house
to be shot of it?!

For info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plectranthus_caninus

Thanks, Chris. I can confirm that it does root quite readily *and*
seems to deter cats. I must test it on dogs.

While we do have a couple growing in pots in the prop. house, I can
confirm that they root very easily and one is growing through the mypex
on the prop.house floor with no apparent help whatsoever, no soil, no
compost, just determination!Every time someone walks down the path
between the prop beds and brushes against it we remember it's there!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-03-2014, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-27 14:05:50 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

Amazing resillience! Perhaps that canina tag hints at its doggedness;~).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 27-03-2014, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-27 14:05:50 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

Awww! That is just off-the-scale cute. Love it!

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Ping sacha - reposted message! Ping Spider re Deutzia Spider[_2_] United Kingdom 4 04-05-2009 06:28 AM
Ping Sacha Judith in France United Kingdom 3 17-05-2008 03:51 PM
Ping Sacha judith.lea United Kingdom 18 21-01-2008 04:07 PM
Ping Sacha judith.lea United Kingdom 3 16-10-2007 10:55 PM
Ping Sacha Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 3 26-05-2003 04:20 PM