Old 16-04-2014, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slug Clear Liquid

I have been using this product for years as it is effective and safe for
pets. However, having recommended it to a close friend and their having
applied it last evening, I was asked whether or not it harmed frogs as
she had seen some shortly after applying it.

Does anyone here know the answer, please? I've had a Google on it, but
there's nothing at all that refers to frogs, so I'm hoping someone on
urg has (hopefully positive) experience of it. Thanks for your time.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 17-04-2014, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
I have been using this product for years as it is effective and safe for
pets. However, having recommended it to a close friend and their having
applied it last evening, I was asked whether or not it harmed frogs as she
had seen some shortly after applying it.

Does anyone here know the answer, please? I've had a Google on it, but
there's nothing at all that refers to frogs, so I'm hoping someone on urg
has (hopefully positive) experience of it. Thanks for your time.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London
gardening on heavy clay

Yes, if frogs were to get the liquid on their skins it would not be good, it
is not likely they would eat a dead slug but I suppose they could take one
just after it had come in contact with the slug clear while it was still
moving, that also would not be good.
Having said that, I do use Slug clear on the clematis crowns in spring, but
by now have switched to Ferramol pellets (Iron based) which are harmless to
birds mammals (and frogs!)
--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 17-04-2014, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/04/2014 09:02, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks very much, Charlie! I've already texted my friend and said pick
up any dead bodies so they won't be eaten. She's dealing with that and
said that, so far, her frogs look fine. Can't help wondering if some
crawled away to die :~(((. At least she's aware of that now, so
hopefully she'll thrash about a bit before watering the slug liquid on
her plants. That should give the frogs a chance to get away. I'm
hoping that, once dry, the liquid will be less harmful to frogs.
Fingers crossed.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 22-04-2014, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/04/2014 09:02, Charlie Pridham wrote:

Having said that, I do use Slug clear on the clematis crowns in spring,
but by now have switched to Ferramol pellets (Iron based) which are
harmless to birds mammals (and frogs!)

Agree on the iron based pellets - I've used them for around three years
now and had no recourse to poisonous pellets. Its good to know that
there aren't any poisoned corpses lying around for the good guys to eat.

I understand that they cause some sort of swelling in the slug/snail
that ingests them? Otherwise, I'm not sure of the process that makes
them effective.

Favourite theory would be that you could just put a powerful magent at
one end of the garden and wait for them to get stuck there.

I use them sparingly to protect specific areas/plants - I don't have an
issue with a reasonable number of slugs/snails sharing the garden.
Apart from anything else, they do provide a food source (not for me as a
non meat eater).

--
regards andy