Old 29-04-2014, 02:26 PM
Registered User

Unhappy sprayer for weedkiller

I've been using lance type sprayers for many years. We have quite a large garden (around an acre) and part is kept in a semi-wild state. However, weedkilling is necessary (nettles and the like) and I am not well enough to do that manually. I use a lance sprayer with a 'shroud' on the nozzle.

My old one died recently, and I bought a Hozelock 5ltr. Unfortunately, it has a major problem for weedkilling. The spray continues for 4 or 5 seconds after the trigger has been released, and the nozzle can still be bleeding a minute after releasing the trigger. Hozelock replaced the trigger, but with no improvement.

The trigger is certainly more comfortable to use than old types but has this particular problem. Does anyone know of a lance type sprayer where the cut off is just about instantaneous, please?
Old 29-04-2014, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default sprayer for weedkiller

On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 2:26:27 PM UTC+1, Mervington wrote:
I've been using lance type sprayers for many years. We have quite a

large garden (around an acre) and part is kept in a semi-wild state.

However, weedkilling is necessary (nettles and the like) and I am not

well enough to do that manually. I use a lance sprayer with a 'shroud'

on the nozzle.

My old one died recently, and I bought a Hozelock 5ltr. Unfortunately,

it has a major problem for weedkilling. The spray continues for 4 or

5 seconds after the trigger has been released, and the nozzle can still

be bleeding a minute after releasing the trigger. Hozelock replaced

the trigger, but with no improvement.

The trigger is certainly more comfortable to use than old types but has

this particular problem. Does anyone know of a lance type sprayer

where the cut off is just about instantaneous, please?
Mervington

Yes, but much more expensive than hozelock. A truly professional machine supplied with proper herbicide nozzles that give a more sharply defined spray pattern and will last for ever.
It's called Bastion - can't remember who makes them but Google or your local Agri merchant should be able to point you in the right direction. It's a 15l sprayer but I tend to mix 5 or 10 litres for my garden (smaller than yours)
I buy 'Clinic Ace' which is a bit cheaper than Roundup and is used at 100ml per 5 litres. Read the instructions carefully.
Cooper Pegler also make good sprayers - defacto 'industry standard' but see post above for a fatal design fault with them.

Rod
Old 29-04-2014, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/04/2014 14:26, Mervington wrote:

I've been using lance type sprayers for many years. We have quite a
large garden (around an acre) and part is kept in a semi-wild state.
However, weedkilling is necessary (nettles and the like) and I am not
well enough to do that manually. I use a lance sprayer with a 'shroud'
on the nozzle.

My old one died recently, and I bought a Hozelock 5ltr. Unfortunately,
it has a major problem for weedkilling. The spray continues for 4 or
5 seconds after the trigger has been released, and the nozzle can still
be bleeding a minute after releasing the trigger. Hozelock replaced
the trigger, but with no improvement.

The trigger is certainly more comfortable to use than old types but has
this particular problem. Does anyone know of a lance type sprayer
where the cut off is just about instantaneous, please?

have a look at these
http://www.waterirrigation.co.uk/out...paign=Bing+Ads
Or search on line for knapsack sprayers.
Old 30-04-2014, 08:46 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod[_5_] View Post
[...]

Thanks for both the replies. I've found the Bastion online. I will contact the supplier and pose the question of immediate cut-off so that I have redress if it does not meet my needs.

The older lance type sprayers had a much more positive on/off valve. They had immediate cut-off until they became rather worn.

I always buy weedkiller in bulk: it is so much cheaper. I haven't seen the Clinic Ace before. I'll look it up.
Old 14-05-2014, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 15:26:27 +0200, Mervington wrote:

I've been using lance type sprayers for many years. We have quite a
large garden (around an acre) and part is kept in a semi-wild state.
However, weedkilling is necessary (nettles and the like) and I am not
well enough to do that manually. I use a lance sprayer with a 'shroud'
on the nozzle.

My old one died recently, and I bought a Hozelock 5ltr. Unfortunately,
it has a major problem for weedkilling. The spray continues for 4 or
5 seconds after the trigger has been released, and the nozzle can still
be bleeding a minute after releasing the trigger. Hozelock replaced
the trigger, but with no improvement.

The trigger is certainly more comfortable to use than old types but has
this particular problem. Does anyone know of a lance type sprayer
where the cut off is just about instantaneous, please?

Have a look at Screwfix

http://www.screwfix.com/p/backpack-s...m_sp=Search-_-
SearchRec-_-Area1&_requestid=56605

Works for me.

Cheers

Dave R

solo backpack sprayer--cleaning out inlet screen??? coyotefred Roses 7 20-04-2011 10:06 PM
Best brand of tank sprayer? Ryan Lawns 0 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Best Sprayer for Lawn Renovation? sunslight Lawns 6 23-04-2003 11:56 AM
Attach weed sprayer to Sprinkler System Steve J Gardening 6 14-04-2003 03:08 PM
Best brand of tank sprayer? Ryan Lawns 0 18-02-2003 03:41 PM