Old 29-04-2014, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Alpines

On 29/04/2014 23:41, Frank Booth wrote:
I want to grow some alpines that have their main flowering during the summer
months. Apart from the ubiquitous Campanula can anyone suggest other alpines
that have their main flowering during the above period. Some yellow blooming
alpines would be especially welcome.

Try the RHS Plant finder
http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/perenni...wind=undefined

Old 30-04-2014, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

This may interest you http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-04-2014, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Frank Booth" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Frank Booth" wrote in message
o.uk...
I want to grow some alpines that have their main flowering during the

summer
months. Apart from the ubiquitous Campanula can anyone suggest other

alpines
that have their main flowering during the above period. Some yellow

blooming
alpines would be especially welcome.

Thanks. I take it then that no one actually knows of any summer flowering
alpines personally (campanula excepted), else it's going to be a bit of a
slog just to find a few.

Sorry that none of the 'experts' have been able to help, but as the husband
of a 'pretty gardener' of well over 50 years, some has rubbed off onto me,
so, is
http://www.slacktopnurseries.co.uk/e...or_late_summer
...... of any use?

Only trying to help and if it is of no use, don't bother to have a go at me,
the experts and those who 'know it al ' will do that.

:-)

Mike

Watching gardening on the South East Coast of the Isle of Wight.

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk

Old 30-04-2014, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 4:50:50 PM UTC+1, 'Mike' wrote:
[...]

You beat me to it Mike!

IIRC these are more summer than Spring

Aethionema 'Warley Rose'.
Arenaria montana 'Grandiflora' Caryophyllaceae
Asperula sintenisii.Rubiaceae
Centaurium scilloides

Dianthus freynii

Campanula zoysii is a Campanula I do rather like

Jenny

Old 30-04-2014, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/04/2014 17:33, Frank Booth wrote:
"Frank Booth" wrote in message
o.uk...
I want to grow some alpines that have their main flowering during the

summer
months. Apart from the ubiquitous Campanula can anyone suggest other

alpines
that have their main flowering during the above period. Some yellow

blooming
alpines would be especially welcome.

Thanks. I take it then that no one actually knows of any summer flowering
alpines personally (campanula excepted), else it's going to be a bit of a
slog just to find a few.

Your best bet is to visit local nurseries and garden centres when you
want the plants so that you can see them in flower and see the type of
growth you get.
You give no indication as to how many plants you are looking for, 5 or 500?
I had someone asking about alpines last weekend, he has a "tidy size"
rockery, when pressed he said it's about 3 ft by 2 ft.
this is typical, I had another customer a few years ago looking for
plants for a "tidy size" rock garden, turned out that she had a 2 acre
garden and her idea of a " was around 20 ft by 8ft.
So what would be fine in one would be lost in the other, and what would
look good in the second one would swamp the first one.
If you are going to find getting plants a bit of a slog, wouldn't you be
better of with ordinary borders and a lawn?
Most people here are never happier than when they are let loose in a
nursery.
David

Old 01-05-2014, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.slacktopnurseries.co.uk/e...ingle/alpine_c
olour_for_late_summer
..... of any use?

Only trying to help and if it is of no use, don't bother to have a go at

me,
the experts and those who 'know it al ' will do that.

:-)

That's great. At least I've got somwhere and some plants now to start
considering immediately. Thanks for that, and to a few others who came up
with suggestions.