Old 05-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Registered User

Default how to propagate from neighbours magnolia?

hallo,

neighbours magnolia is leaning over the hedge into my garden. he is not a gardener so wont care if i cut the branch that hangs over into mine......
QUESTION
what do i do with it once branch is in my posession? shall i dig a hole and stick it in there or stand the smaller shoots in water until they show signs of rooting? or do both? must do domething, too good an opportunity to miss.

dont know variety, only that it has purple flowers and is probably an ordinary variety available from any garden centre.

picture below

any suggestions welcome, thanks, karaman
Attached Thumbnails
how to propagate from neighbours magnolia?-dsc00004.jpg
Old 05-05-2014, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"karaman" wrote
neighbours magnolia is leaning over the hedge into my garden. he is not
a gardener so wont care if i cut the branch that hangs over into
mine......
QUESTION
what do i do with it once branch is in my posession? shall i dig a hole
and stick it in there or stand the smaller shoots in water until they
show signs of rooting? or do both? must do domething, too good an
opportunity to miss.

dont know variety, only that it has purple flowers and is probably an
ordinary variety available from any garden centre.

picture below

any suggestions welcome, thanks, karaman

|Filename: DSC00004.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15999|

I've grown them from seed but you can do it from cuttings.
Looking at my books ...
Take 4 inch heal cuttings of half ripe wood in July and insert them in damp
course sand and keep at 21°C (70°F), preferably in a propagator, do not let
the sand dry out. After some months pot the rooted cuttings up and keep in a
cold frame overwinter to plant out the following April/May in a nursery bed.
Leave them for two or three years to grow on before replanting in their
permanent position.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-05 10:29:49 +0000, karaman said:

hallo,

neighbours magnolia is leaning over the hedge into my garden. he is not
a gardener so wont care if i cut the branch that hangs over into
mine......
QUESTION
what do i do with it once branch is in my posession? shall i dig a hole
and stick it in there or stand the smaller shoots in water until they
show signs of rooting? or do both? must do domething, too good an
opportunity to miss.

dont know variety, only that it has purple flowers and is probably an
ordinary variety available from any garden centre.

picture below

any suggestions welcome, thanks, karaman

|Filename: DSC00004.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15999|

If you cut it off and do anything with it, or try to, there is every
chance that it will die. Why not leave it as it is and enjoy it in
your garden, even though it isn't your worry or responsibility?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-05-2014, 05:41 PM
Registered User

thank you chris hogg and bob hobden - why didnt i think of layering? i've done that with my vines and it worked a treat. however, as am moving house, the cutting is the one applkicable in this instance. clear instructions, i cant go wrong! assistance much appreciated, karaman.

Propagate Jasmine? O United Kingdom 4 08-07-2003 02:08 AM
Do hyacinths propagate? John Bachman Ponds 18 18-06-2003 03:44 PM
when do swords propagate? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 20-04-2003 06:26 AM
when do swords propagate? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 01-04-2003 05:56 PM
Evergreen Clematis Armandi - propagate? [email protected] Gardening 2 20-03-2003 02:08 PM