Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 PM
JawD

Default Rockery

I am planning on making a rockery in the corner of the garden from the soil
I dig up to make a patio. The area gets the sun in the morning and is
shaded in the afternoon. Any tips or things I should look out for when
doing a rockery?

Old 06-05-2003, 09:20 PM
IntarsiaCo

I am planning on making a rockery

See:
http://www.nargs.org/gardening/rockgardening.html
Old 07-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , JawD darrel.birkett@
btinternet.com writes
I am planning on making a rockery in the corner of the garden from the soil
I dig up to make a patio. The area gets the sun in the morning and is
shaded in the afternoon. Any tips or things I should look out for when
doing a rockery?

Whatever else you do, don't just stick some rocks on top of a pile of
soil. You literally have to build your rockery, making sure your stones
won't slip and that you have 'terraces' of planting pockets. If your
soil is heavy, then make sure you mix lots of grit and compost in with
the soil before you do any planting. When you buy your plants, make sure
you read the labels so you don't waste any money on plants that don't
like shade in the afternoon!!! When they built the alpine bed at
Holehird, they put the plants in 6 inches of gravel.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Rockery Wrighty United Kingdom 1 23-09-2003 10:47 PM
Rockery Wrighty United Kingdom 0 23-09-2003 12:18 AM
Rockery Wrighty United Kingdom 0 23-09-2003 12:16 AM
Rockery raw materials Weazle United Kingdom 0 31-05-2003 10:44 AM
My new rockery....but what's either side? jo United Kingdom 4 19-03-2003 06:44 PM