Old 11-05-2014, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Apples in flower

This year seems to be a year of very heavy apple blossom, but I'm not
seeing that many bees.
David @ a battered side of Swansea Bay
Old 11-05-2014, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:

This year seems to be a year of very heavy apple blossom, but I'm not
seeing that many bees.

My peach had a lot of blossom, but the set is essentially zilch.
It is the earliest of my fruit trees to flower.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
David Hill wrote:

This year seems to be a year of very heavy apple blossom, but I'm not
seeing that many bees.

My peach had a lot of blossom, but the set is essentially zilch.
It is the earliest of my fruit trees to flower.

My apricot is two or three weeks earlier than my peach every year

Ardmhor
Northern Highlands of Scotland

Old 11-05-2014, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
This year seems to be a year of very heavy apple blossom, but I'm not
seeing that many bees.
David @ a battered side of Swansea Bay

Most of the bees I am seeing (in North Wales) are bumble bees and I haven't
really noticed if they were at the apple. Most of the blossom is now on the
grass thanks to the recent rain.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/05/2014 09:08, David Hill wrote:
This year seems to be a year of very heavy apple blossom, but I'm not
seeing that many bees.
David @ a battered side of Swansea Bay

Mine had lots of flower and bees, too. I haven't looked today yet, but
last time I mowed the lawn around it, there were a lot of fallen
miniature apples (crab apples, actually) despite it not being June yet.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-05-2014, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 May 2014 09:49:28 +0100, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
David Hill wrote:

This year seems to be a year of very heavy apple blossom, but I'm not
seeing that many bees.

My peach had a lot of blossom, but the set is essentially zilch.
It is the earliest of my fruit trees to flower.

Tons of peaches here, but few apples. I noticed the Boskoop coming out
without many flowers. Go figure.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 11-05-2014, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello David

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
This year seems to be a year of very heavy apple blossom, but I'm not
seeing that many bees.
David @ a battered side of Swansea Bay

Agreed but here in East Anglia all my apple blossom was over about a week
ago.

Tomorrow I will inspect and see how many fruitlets are left on the tree after
the very gusty winds.

I already know I have lost a lot of fruitlets off of an early flowering
ornamental plum.

John

--
John Rye
Hadleigh IPSWICH England
Old 11-05-2014, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

This year seems to be a year of very heavy apple blossom, but I'm not
seeing that many bees.

We had good blossom on our cherries but of the four it's the last one to
flower that is the only one with a good set of fruit. I assume there were no
bees about early enough.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/05/2014 23:26, Bob Hobden wrote:
"David Hill" wrote

This year seems to be a year of very heavy apple blossom, but I'm not
seeing that many bees.

We had good blossom on our cherries but of the four it's the last one to
flower that is the only one with a good set of fruit. I assume there
were no bees about early enough.

This was discussed in Countryfile last night. It seems the problem is
not just global warming but the fact that it is occurring more rapidly
than various plants and creatures can cope with, some are keeping up
others falling behind, so there are problems ahead. At least they did
not blame man for the global warming.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

This year seems to be a year of very heavy apple blossom, but I'm not
seeing that many bees.
David @ a battered side of Swansea Bay

Daughters apple and pear tress seemed well set, especialy the
pear (Oxfordshire).

Had lots of set on redcurrants this year, just hoping it wont
all drop.

Flowering cherry next door was magnificent untill the winds
this weekend, now we've got a road that looks covered in pink
snow!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales