Old 23-05-2014, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ventnor Botanic Gardens

Shot themselves in the foot by the new entry charges system?

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/dono...den-59288.aspx

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
Old 23-05-2014, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote

Shot themselves in the foot by the new entry charges system?

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/dono...den-59288.aspx

From what I can see it's £6.25 for Seniors with free parking, that is so
cheap these days.
Kew is £14 each plus £7 for the car park at Brentford Gate.
So even if you go for only a couple of hours it would cost two people £33
instead of £12.50 at VBG.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 23-05-2014, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 23 May 2014 13:05:03 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 23 May 2014 10:30:54 +0100, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote

Shot themselves in the foot by the new entry charges system?

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/dono...den-59288.aspx

From what I can see it's £6.25 for Seniors with free parking, that is so
cheap these days.
Kew is £14 each plus £7 for the car park at Brentford Gate.
So even if you go for only a couple of hours it would cost two people £33
instead of £12.50 at VBG.

That says more about London prices than anything.

Entrance to Sheffield Botanic Gardens appears to be free.

B'ham Botanic Gardens charges £22 for a family and £4.75 each for concessions -
OAPs, children over 5, and students. Concession in a group are charged £4 each.

Dutch University Hortus Botanicus
Amsterdam charges £7/adult
Concessions £4
Leiden charges £5.50/adult
Concessions £2.40
Students 80p

All Botanic gardens cost a great deal to run. That cost is
inescapable. The price they charge at the gate depends entirely on how
much subsidy they get from other sources - local council, university
etc.

The Ventnor Botanic Garden was operated by the local council who paid
all the operating costs. The council decided they couldn't afford it
any more and dropped it entirely, which would have meant its closure.
Fortunately a group was formed to take it over and pay the running
costs, which in the absence of any outside funds means an entry fee of
several pounds.

Naturally a few locals like Mike with small brains and loud mouths
think that they previously had it 'free' when in fact they paid
through their council tax whether they actually went there or not.
They now think they should continue to have it for free, without
considering how much it costs to run.

I've been there many times - it's a great place woth coming to the
Isle of Wight and to see. The entry cost is the same or less than most
large visitor attractions on the Island.

And those who say it was previously free choose to ignore that in
addition to the Council tax there was a disguised entry fee because
you had to pay to park there - several pounds if you spent half a day.
Parking is now free - included in the entry fee.

Mike likes to bang on about the theatre where he goes to watch the
volunteers working. Most of the people working at the Ventnor Botanic
Garden are in fact volunteers who do so because they love the place.

But Mike gets so confused with facts, so he'll carry on as usual with
the few other old fools who use the local paper's web site to work out
their personal frustrations on anything in the news. In that respect
the County Press web site is a very useful public service.
Old 23-05-2014, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 May 2014 10:30:54 +0100, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
That says more about London prices than anything.

Entrance to Sheffield Botanic Gardens appears to be free.

B'ham Botanic Gardens charges £22 for a family and £4.75 each for concessions -
OAPs, children over 5, and students. Concession in a group are charged £4 each.

Dutch University Hortus Botanicus
Amsterdam charges £7/adult
Concessions £4
Leiden charges £5.50/adult
Concessions £2.40
Students 80p

Inverness Botanic Gardens, free entry and free parking.

Ardmhor

Old 23-05-2014, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5/23/2014 8:01 AM, philgurr wrote:

Inverness Botanic Gardens, free entry and free parking.

All the time I've spent in Inverness, I've never seen the Botanic
Gardens - where are they, and are they worth visiting?

Old 23-05-2014, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Qwight" wrote in message

On Fri, 23 May 2014 13:05:03 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 23 May 2014 10:30:54 +0100, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote

Shot themselves in the foot by the new entry charges system?

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/dono...den-59288.aspx

From what I can see it's £6.25 for Seniors with free parking, that is so
[...]

Long time since you took a swipe at me. Feel better now?

Jolly good :-)

Kindest regards. Don't go out you will get wet.

Old 23-05-2014, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 23 May 2014 13:17:30 +0100, "'Mike'"

================================================= =======

Long time since you took a swipe at me. Feel better now?

Jolly good :-)

Kindest regards. Don't go out you will get wet.

Yes it's been a long time Mike. I usually manage to ignore your
pontifications but sometimes you really do set yourself up for it.

If you are going to talk about a particular subject in front of people
who know much more than you, it would be as well to get your facts
straight. But hey, why change the habit of a lifetime?
Old 23-05-2014, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Qwight" wrote in message

[...]

I look forward to any incorect 'facts' which I have posted being re-posted
by your good self.

For your learned information, there is a difference between "opinion" and
"fact".

I highly recommend that you take note of the difference.

Kindest regards

Old 23-05-2014, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message ...

"Qwight" wrote in message

[...]

""" incorrect """ .... of course ;-)

triple """ for the benefit of someone who picked me up for them some time
ago (Thank you Doris for reminding me)

:-)

Old 23-05-2014, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 5/23/2014 8:01 AM, philgurr wrote:

Inverness Botanic Gardens, free entry and free parking.

All the time I've spent in Inverness, I've never seen the Botanic
Gardens - where are they, and are they worth visiting?

Is this a case of poor or bad publicity?

The first of 'The Five Great Rules' ......!!!!!

Old 23-05-2014, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"philgurr" wrote in message ...

.. .
wrote:
That says more about London prices than anything.

Entrance to Sheffield Botanic Gardens appears to be free.

B'ham Botanic Gardens charges £22 for a family and £4.75 each for
concessions -
OAPs, children over 5, and students. Concession in a group are charged £4
each.

Dutch University Hortus Botanicus
Amsterdam charges £7/adult
Concessions £4
Leiden charges £5.50/adult
Concessions £2.40
Students 80p

Inverness Botanic Gardens, free entry and free parking.

Someone is paying. It cannot be free as it costs a lot to upkeep. Their site
does not mention funding so it's a mystery.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 23-05-2014, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

"philgurr" wrote in message ...

.. .
wrote:
That says more about London prices than anything.

Entrance to Sheffield Botanic Gardens appears to be free.

B'ham Botanic Gardens charges £22 for a family and £4.75 each for
concessions -
OAPs, children over 5, and students. Concession in a group are charged £4
each.

Dutch University Hortus Botanicus
Amsterdam charges £7/adult
Concessions £4
Leiden charges £5.50/adult
Concessions £2.40
Students 80p

Inverness Botanic Gardens, free entry and free parking.

Someone is paying. It cannot be free as it costs a lot to upkeep. Their site
does not mention funding so it's a mystery.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

'Voluntary contributions' .... would you like me to give you an example of
how this works ;-) ... ?

Old 23-05-2014, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 5/23/2014 8:01 AM, philgurr wrote:

Inverness Botanic Gardens, free entry and free parking.

All the time I've spent in Inverness, I've never seen the Botanic Gardens - where are
they, and are they worth visiting?

They are at Bught Park, next door to the sports centre. Take the
Fort William road out of Inverness and turn left about half a mile
past the Highland Council offices (just before the canal bridge).
Well worth a visit - I donated my Cycad collection to them!

Ardmhor
40 miles north of Inverness

Old 23-05-2014, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...
"philgurr" wrote in message ...

SNIP
Inverness Botanic Gardens, free entry and free parking.

Someone is paying. It cannot be free as it costs a lot to upkeep. Their site does not
mention funding so it's a mystery.

Funded by Highland Council. It's part of their extensive nursery where they
produce all the plants for the Council displays in the Highland Region.

Ardmhor