Old 31-05-2014, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree ID please

A tree on a housing estate, with sawtooth edged simple leaes. The flowers have a large, pale leaf-like cover with small flowers underneath.

Here are my pictures:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4004031 - the tree
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4004034 - the flowers, after the fruit has started to set
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4004037 - the leaves, along with what looks like cherry leaf gall or Eriophyes mite gall

Any ideas?
Old 31-05-2014, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 31 May 2014 07:25:43 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

A tree on a housing estate, with sawtooth edged simple leaes. The flowers have a large, pale leaf-like cover with small flowers underneath.

Here are my pictures:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4004031 - the tree
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4004034 - the flowers, after the fruit has started to set
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4004037 - the leaves, along with what looks like cherry leaf gall or Eriophyes mite gall

Any ideas?

Maybe one of the Cornus species?

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 31-05-2014, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, May 31, 2014 3:42:20 PM UTC+1, Chris Hogg wrote:

Lime, Tilia.

Brilliant! thanks very much

Descriptions updated.
Old 31-05-2014, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-31 15:48:16 +0000, said:

On Saturday, May 31, 2014 3:42:20 PM UTC+1, Chris Hogg wrote:

Lime, Tilia.

Brilliant! thanks very much

Descriptions updated.

At a guess, Tilia cordata. You can make tea from the flowers. It's said
to be very 'soothing'!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 31-05-2014, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/05/2014 15:25, wrote:
A tree on a housing estate, with sawtooth edged simple leaes. The flowers have a large, pale leaf-like cover with small flowers underneath.

Here are my pictures:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4004031 - the tree
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4004034 - the flowers, after the fruit has started to set
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4004037 - the leaves, along with what looks like cherry leaf gall or Eriophyes mite gall

Any ideas?

I don't understand your question.
All your pictures have the answer in print
IT'S A LIME TREE as the pictures say.

Old 31-05-2014, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, May 31, 2014 6:18:12 PM UTC+1, Dave Hill wrote:

I don't understand your question.
All your pictures have the answer in print
IT'S A LIME TREE as the pictures say.

Yes, after I got the answer from Chris Hogg I went back and edited the descriptions on geograph, like I said when I thanked him!
Old 31-05-2014, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-31 17:18:12 +0000, David Hill said:

On 31/05/2014 15:25, wrote:
A tree on a housing estate, with sawtooth edged simple leaes. The
flowers have a large, pale leaf-like cover with small flowers
underneath.

Here are my pictures:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4004031 - the tree
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4004034 - the flowers, after the fruit
has started to set
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4004037 - the leaves, along with what
looks like cherry leaf gall or Eriophyes mite gall

Any ideas?

I don't understand your question.
All your pictures have the answer in print
IT'S A LIME TREE as the pictures say.

You - and I - saw the photos after they'd been edited with the ID
attached to them.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-06-2014, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/05/2014 15:25, wrote:
A tree on a housing estate, with sawtooth edged simple leaes. The flowers have a large, pale leaf-like cover with small flowers underneath.

Here are my pictures:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4004031 - the tree
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4004034 - the flowers, after the fruit has started to set
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4004037 - the leaves, along with what looks like cherry leaf gall or Eriophyes mite gall

Any ideas?

As has already been said, it's a lime (Tilia). It's not Tilia cordata,
in which the inflorescences are either upright or higgedly-piggedly.

The few-fruited infructesences suggest that it's Tilia platyphyllos.

Some years ago I wrote a guide to identifying limes.

http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Tilia/Britain.html

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-06-2014, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, June 1, 2014 12:01:31 AM UTC+1, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Tilia/Britain.html

Thanks, Stewart. That's very interesting.
I can see why you suggested Tilia platyphyllos

Here is a photo with some of the leaf undersides visible, since that seems to be characteristic for Tilia ×euchlora: http://tinypic.com/r/2gwbdjd/8 .. If I am still in the country in a few days I will try and photograph the flowers. I thought they were over, but what you wrote suggests they havn't opened yet.

A google image search for each of the latin names was less helpful, I don't think that the range of images offered was terribly useful, and Google seemed to offer images from elsewhere on a page where the words appeared, which is very confusing.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/06/2014 10:31, wrote:
On Sunday, June 1, 2014 12:01:31 AM UTC+1, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Tilia/Britain.html
Thanks, Stewart. That's very interesting.
I can see why you suggested Tilia platyphyllos

Here is a photo with some of the leaf undersides visible, since that seems to be characteristic for Tilia ×euchlora: http://tinypic.com/r/2gwbdjd/8 . If I am still in the country in a few days I will try and photograph the flowers. I thought they were over, but what you wrote suggests they havn't opened yet.

Tilia platyphyllos is also the earliest of the limes to flower, and will
start flowering shortly.

A google image search for each of the latin names was less helpful, I don't think that the range of images offered was terribly useful, and Google seemed to offer images from elsewhere on a page where the words appeared, which is very confusing.

--
alias Ernest Major